TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Tall, thin & attractive front speakers ?

by pjensen69 / February 16, 2008 1:26 AM PST

I'm in the market for a set of 5.1 speakers, but my wife is somewhat feng shui-minded, and the speakers I choose need to be attractive and unobtrusive.

Bear in mind that I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, so even an "ok" set of speakers will sound good to me. My budget is somewhere around $400-500 for a complete set, or about $200 for just the front speakers (as long as I can at least get a nice set of mains, I can build off of that later).

The one complete set that looks good to me is the Yamaha NS-SP7800PN. Not only is that the look I'm going for with the front speakers, but the gloss black finish perfectly matches the bezel of my plasma TV.

Is there any other speaker set I should check out? Or like I said, possibly just a pair of good-looking fronts that I can start with?

I've considered getting a pair of small bookshelf speakers and putting them on a stand, but that sometimes looks dumb. Perhaps there's a good speaker/stand combination?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tall, thin & attractive front speakers ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tall, thin & attractive front speakers ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you don't care about sound quality
by jostenmeat / February 16, 2008 3:45 AM PST

then go for it. Ive seen these "types" of speakers before, and they... um... are a waste of space. They do nothing for me. My bookshelves destroy them.

If you are ok with towers, by all means. Remember that a good looking pair of stands will cost a lot, roughly $100-200. You can find $50 etc, but they look like crap. Towers will give you better mid-bass response, at the very least.

For $200 there is absolutely nothing out there that will look good and sound good. Outside of a very, very lucky find on the used classifieds. Actually, most likely, they will be both ugly and terrible performers. I think of Polk entry level speakers.

If you are buying on looks, then get em. Personally, I think they are useless. Just use the tv speakers. Seriously.

Collapse -
MOST PEOPLE BUY SPEAKERS TO LISTEN TO; NOT TO..............
by Riverledge / February 16, 2008 7:45 AM PST

LOOK AT. WHEN YOU GET SERIOUS, GIVE US A POST!

riv.

Collapse -
Choosing on looks a strange proposition.
by NM_Bill / February 16, 2008 10:39 AM PST

Quite a few posters here try to keep up a bit on speakers, but probably don't sort them out by looks.

That said the budget is also tough, but perhaps not impossible. Yes, a occasionally catch sight of a set of tall thin speakers, but being in popular price showrooms, don't pay any attention to.

I have to regard selecting speakers on fine performance. That said, I don't know how you will react to the looks but here's my top three to go hear:

Paradigm
PSB
Usher

To that list I urge a look & listen to
NHT

Seriously, getting out to hear as many of these as possible will be worth your while. If htese don't satisfy (for sound that is) then you will have to face the realty of saving for a bigger budget.

The best speakers are made by firms specializing in speakers, not by component makers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.