Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

talktalk over run allowance

by ankerdine / October 8, 2009 12:26 AM PDT

I have been warned by talktalk that last month that I downloaded 90.1gig which exceeds their 40gig monthly broardband allowance,and will be charged extra if it occurs again.
My setup comprises 1 dell desktop with McCafee,1 HP laptop with AGV, wireless networked via a Netgear DG834G modem. My wife and I are retired and never download music and films except occasional BBCiplayer which would never exceed 10gig/month. It seems to me that someone has accessed my connection. How can I prevent this happening again, or could their be another reason? Step by step solutions please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: talktalk over run allowance
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: talktalk over run allowance
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go to your router's control panel
by Donna Buenaventura / October 8, 2009 12:43 AM PDT

And enable the option to only allow your PCs so no other devices/PCs can use your wireless connection. You will look for the option of MAC Filter List then enter only your PCs MAC address.
And I hope the router is pass-phrase protected also.

Collapse -
Checked Router Settings
by ankerdine / October 8, 2009 8:51 PM PDT

Thanks Donna, all my router setting are inline with your suggestions.
Could a pro' break in? To use 90.1gig in less than three weeks is wild, unles talktalk got the decimal point in the wrong place. I may start to turn my modem off randomly which is a pain.

Collapse -
Possible.
by Donna Buenaventura / October 8, 2009 11:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
Let me be blunt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2009 9:02 PM PDT

You say you have the wifi turned on? Anything less than WPA is all too easy for people to tap into.

Example Wifi protections:

1. No protection = You know better.
2. SSID hiding = no protection.
3. WEP security = kid friendly "crack" tool = 2 minutes and I' in.
4. MAC filtering = teen friendly too and they're in.
5. WEP + MAC filter = teen hacker friendly tool and they're in.

Either move to our Networking forum settings (stock + WPA) or continue to be insecure. Yes there is some word about a WPA exploit but it's not usable yet.
Bob

Collapse -
Moved to WPA
by ankerdine / October 9, 2009 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Let me be blunt.

Thanks Donna & Bob for your Straight forward advice I have moved on to WPA successfully. My level of confidence has risen greatly but only time will tell, I guess,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.