Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Talk about hypocrisy!

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / December 15, 2003 10:36 PM PST
`Relief' for Thurmond's daughter.
"The late Sen. Strom Thurmond's family on Monday said it acknowledges a California woman's claim that she is his illegitimate mixed-race daughter. The woman's lawyer said the statement brought her 'a sigh of relief.' "
I guess some of his best friends really were Nigras!
-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Talk about hypocrisy!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Talk about hypocrisy!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Talk about hypocrisy!
by Josh K / December 15, 2003 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: Talk about hypocrisy!

Hi Dave:

It certainly adds a wrinkle, doesn't it. I've heard the rumors over the years but I never paid enough attention to know whether Thurmond had ever denied having this child.

Collapse -
Re:Talk about hypocrisy!
by Evie / December 15, 2003 11:23 PM PST
Collapse -
Nice article but....
by Josh K / December 16, 2003 12:06 AM PST

....it confirms that Thurmond put his politics above his own child (and her mother) and was unwilling to publicly own up to the truth:

"When a man brings a child in the world, he should take care of that child," said Thurmond, who then added, "she'll never say anything and neither will you?not while I'm alive."

It's too bad he wasn't able to translate his love for his daughter into more tolerant politics sooner. I'm sure the child's mother was just thrilled with his 1948 Presidential campaign.

Ironic, isn't it, that the Clinton "illegitimate black child" story was a fabrication but this one wasn't!

Collapse -
Kind of ironic too tho' ...
by Evie / December 16, 2003 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: Nice article but....

... that Thurmond never abandoned his child and contributed to her upbringing in many ways. Contrast that to the lawsuit required for Jesse Jackson to pony up (or redirect from his charities) funds to support his own black lovechild.

Collapse -
The difference is ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 16, 2003 1:09 AM PST

well, I really don't know what the difference is other than possibly integrity but saying bad things about Jackson is racist regardless of who you are while saying them about Thurmond isn't.

Collapse -
Huh!!
by Kiddpeat / December 16, 2003 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: The difference is ...

Please tell me this doesn't mean what I think it means; 'saying bad things about Jackson is racist regardless of who you are'. Soooo, if I say Jessie is a hustler who specializes in corporate blackmail, I'm being racist? What if it's true, is it still racist? That's the kind of statement that makes the 'racist' charge meaningless, and something to be ignored.

Collapse -
You got the idea...
by Edward ODaniel / December 16, 2003 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: Huh!!

if you saw Jesse J. pickin' his nose and chewin' it and mentioned it in public (or probably even thought about mentioning it) you would be racist (regardless of "color") while such comments about Bush or Nixon or Clarence Thomas (he is only an old "Uncle Tom" after all--ask any non-racist ultra liberal on this forum) are not and can be broached with impunity.

"That's the kind of statement that makes the 'racist' charge meaningless, and something to be ignored."

Careful there! That comment could likely be construed as "hate speech". Wink

Collapse -
The boy who cried
by Josh K / December 16, 2003 2:07 AM PST

Unfortunately that has become very true. People like Al Sharpton have cried "racism!" so willy-nilly that when it really is racism, it's harder to get people to recognize it as such and deal with it appropriately. It's only one reason why comparisons of Sharpton with Martin Luther King, Jr. are laughable.

Collapse -
Supposed to read, the boy who cried 'wolf'
by Josh K / December 16, 2003 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: The boy who cried

Collapse -
Re: Huh!!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / December 16, 2003 4:03 AM PST

Hi, KP.

Unfortunately, some members of disadvantaged groups (Black, brown, physically challenged) use that status as a shield against accountability.
-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Re: Talk about hypocrisy!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / December 16, 2003 4:01 AM PST

Hi, Evie.

Interesting read, but says nothing about what I see as the main issue -- how do you reconcile the public, Black-hating Thurmond with this new fact? Or was he, like Wallace, totally cynical and simply using the bigotry of others to further his personal political ambitions?
-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
How about disabusing yourself a bit?
by Edward ODaniel / December 16, 2003 4:15 AM PST

Do you fee that a dog is your equal? How about a cat, a fish, a lizard?

If you don't, do you automatically hate them?

Do you consider a quadraplegic your equal in all ways? How about a mentally ******** adult with the mind of an infant? Do you automatically hate them if you don't?

If you would get those knees to stop jerking you around and actually do a bit of RESEARCH (foreign word to some academics loosely meaning to study and learn about) you would be hard pressed to find anything indicating Thrumond "hated" blacks. Such can't be said about Byrd however.

Collapse -
Re: Message not worthy of reply, so I won't (NT)
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / December 16, 2003 7:49 AM PST

Collapse -
Meaning you are 'too busy' to research for any proofs ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 16, 2003 8:15 AM PST

of your ill informed assertion of 'hate' you are aware do not exist. Proofs of a stand on State's Rights -- yes. Proofs of a strong stand on segregation - yes. Proofs of a strong stand against interracial marriage - yes. You can disagree with them and their platform but equating them with hating blacks is insufferable arrogance and unsupportable.

Or that you are ashamed to admit that you too do not recognize all creatures or even human beings as your equal.

You wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood heavily populated with independent living ******** people so I guess that makes you a white separatist or if you feel superior to them in any way a white supremacist.

Read up on Dixicrats Dave. Here is a place to start--ignore the source and consider the RESOURCE used (should be readily available to you in your school's library). http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel121602.asp

Collapse -
Re: 'too busy' to research -- 'We hold these truths to be self-evident -- that all men (and women) are created equal.'

Unlike PETA, Ed, I don't believe that a man and a cat (or a dog or lizard) are the same thing.
-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Same people at same time - 'which shall be determined by adding to the whole number of free persons, including those bound to service for a term of years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons. '

keep trying Dave.

You are avoiding any attempt to prove your allegation of "Black-hating" with regard to Thurmond.

Collapse -
Yep, now should we go on about the numerous times...
by Edward ODaniel / December 16, 2003 1:15 AM PST

you have been guilty of same?

Same being hypocracy, and not necessarily fathering a child and ensuring she was cared for throught her life.

The epitome of hypocracy is Dean--so much so that the Democrats themselves have taken out an add insinuating that Osama Bin Laden would like you to vote for Dean.

If you want to talk hypocracy lets get off the dead man and go with the living such as Dean and Jackson.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/16/politics/campaigns/16DEMS.html

"At the same time, a group of Democrats known informally as a "stop Dean" coalition began running a television advertisement in New Hampshire and South Carolina that shows a photograph of Osama bin Laden with the warning, "It's time for Democrats to start thinking about Dean's inexperience."

Collapse -
How about, Dave...
by J. Vega / December 16, 2003 2:42 AM PST

Dave, how about a sitting Senator who was a Klan "Kleegle"?

Collapse -
You mean Byrd fathered an illegitmate child by a black woman too? Wow!
by Josh K / December 16, 2003 2:55 AM PST
In reply to: How about, Dave...
Happy
Collapse -
Good guess and a possibility but it is evident he...

didn't lynch its father.

Talking hypocracy, not virility Josh...

Collapse -
Then there's....
by J. Vega / December 16, 2003 6:29 AM PST

Then there's the hypocrisy of the press. Isn't it noteworthy that there was all that press about that statement made at a birthday party when it was a Republican, and for some strange reason the Democratic Senator's history and quotes never seem to be mentioned?

Collapse -
Let's not forget another star! Teddy Kennedy of Chappaquidik (sp?)
by Kiddpeat / December 16, 2003 5:53 AM PST

fame who calls conservative judges neanderthals.

Collapse -
If Ted Kennedy had fought for tougher DUI laws, I'd see your point
by Josh K / December 16, 2003 5:57 AM PST

But otherwise, ........?

Collapse -
He manipulated and abused the legal process for his own benefit. (NT)
by Kiddpeat / December 16, 2003 6:53 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:He manipulated and abused the legal process -- Translation: he defended himself. (NT)

Collapse -
You mean he was defending himself

when he left her without help, swam ashore, and disappeared for several hours (while he sobered up and met with lawyers to get his story straight). Also, when he failed to report the accident for several hours so that, again, there was no help for the lady. Also, when his family used its influence in the investigation.

Collapse -
Re:You mean he was defending himself
by Josh K / December 16, 2003 10:07 PM PST

That makes him a jerk, not a hypocrite. Let's try to stay focused on the topic at hand, OK?

Collapse -
Sigh! He was a jerk then...He's a hypocrite now. (NT)
by Kiddpeat / December 16, 2003 11:05 PM PST

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.