Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Taliban commander believed dead in airstrike

by EdHannigan / August 30, 2008 6:24 AM PDT

Good news!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/08/30/taliban.raids/index.html

CNN) -- An airstrike by Pakistani fighter jets killed more than 30 Taliban fighters, including an alleged high-ranking Taliban commander, a government spokesman said Saturday.

The military called in the fighter jets Friday to support Pakistani army ground troops in the violence-plagued northwest after they were caught in a clash with Taliban fighters, the spokesman said.

The U.S.-led coalition in Afghanistan said Saturday that coalition airstrikes had killed several militants in an Afghan province north of the capital, Kabul.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Taliban commander believed dead in airstrike
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Taliban commander believed dead in airstrike
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) whoops there goes another one
by lbjones1 / August 30, 2008 7:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Reminds me of coverage of one of the
by drpruner / August 30, 2008 2:45 PM PDT

Middle East hot times, during a Jihad of Jingo or Jimbo or whatever:
Daily report from the Israeli's news agency was, '... dead, including a high-ranking Hamas leader.' If there were that many, Hamas [and Taliban] would be out of business by now.

Collapse -
(NT) ain't that the truth!
by jonah jones / August 30, 2008 8:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
like American politics?
by James Denison / August 30, 2008 10:45 PM PDT

Everyone's been "president" of something at some time?

Collapse -
So, it's a lie?
by EdHannigan / August 30, 2008 10:51 PM PDT

Is that what you're saying?

There can be no progress.

Collapse -
RE; So, it's a lie?
by JP Bill / August 31, 2008 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: So, it's a lie?

Taliban commander believed dead in airstrike

including an alleged high-ranking Taliban commander

Lie?....how bout speculation?

Collapse -
I don't follow...
by J. Vega / August 31, 2008 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: RE; So, it's a lie?

I don't follow your logic. They were looking for a specific Taliban commander. There was a fight and more than 30 Taliban fighters were killed. They think one of the bodies was the person they were after.
O.K., perhaps the Pakistani government will do a DNA test so satisfy people who say that it just looks like him. It seemed like a simple story, why do you question it? If it is true, would it upset you, and why?

Collapse -
RE: why do you question it?
by JP Bill / August 31, 2008 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't follow...

Because, a different incident but, lots of cases get thrown out of court because of info from "paid informants"

People over there are paid for info and/or give false info as revenge.

Afghans say deadly US raid based on misleading tip

KABUL, Afghanistan - Afghan officials said Thursday that a deadly U.S.-led special forces raid on a remote western village last week was based on misleading information provided by a rival clan.

It was the latest twist in a tangled debate over what happened. U.N. officials say the raid killed up to 90 civilians, most of them children. A NATO official said U.S. and Afghan troops were fired on first, touching off a battle of several hours that killed 25 militants and five civilians.

The U.S. government is pressing for a joint U.S.-Afghan probe in hopes of reaching a common conclusion. Two Pentagon officials said Thursday a U.S. review concluded civilian deaths were far fewer than claimed by others. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the report had not been made public, said the findings were given to Afghan leaders.

Evidence from all sides has been scant, with no conclusive photos or video emerging to shed light on what happened in Azizabad on Aug. 22. But the claim of high civilian casualties, also made by Afghan officials, is causing new friction between President Hamid Karzai and his Western backers

Afghans targeted in U.S. raids have complained for years of being pursued based solely on information given by other Afghans who sometimes are business rivals, neighbors with a vendetta or simply interested in generic reward money for anti-government militants.

He said photographs and video of the victims were with Afghanistan's secretive intelligence service. The spokesman for the service, Sayed Ansari, would not confirm or deny that officials held such evidence. He said they would not share such material with journalists in any case.

Collapse -
It's called "spin".
by drpruner / September 2, 2008 1:45 PM PDT
In reply to: So, it's a lie?

Makes one's army look better. In fact, who knows just who got killed? Eventually it becomes self-defeating; no longer believeable- except by one's own generals.

Collapse -
There's an easy way to know when you win a war.
by James Denison / September 2, 2008 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: It's called "spin".

You are in possession of the territory, and you've killed enough of th enemy that none are coming back to try and kill you. That's the end of the war.

Collapse -
Doug, reminds me of a story a relative who was in a POW camp
by Ziks511 / September 4, 2008 12:41 PM PDT

told me about German figures of tonnage sunk by the U-Boats. The POW's were subjected to Sondermeldungen (Special Bulletins) every day over a very loud PA system, and decided to keep track. Eventually they were able to prove that the claims were so wild that there could be no more ships floating in the entire world. The camp Commandant, a Luftwaffe officer (it was an airforce camp) had the broadcasts stopped, at least in his camp.

The trouble as I've said before here, is that news organizations, and the military briefers are all looking for headlines, and inflating the importance of some Taliban or Hamas leader no one has ever heard of is just part of that mistake.

Rob

Collapse -
Just curious...
by J. Vega / September 4, 2008 12:57 PM PDT

Just curious, what camp was he in? My father happened to be in one.

Collapse -
"subject to
by drpruner / September 5, 2008 1:58 PM PDT

Sondermeldungen". Coincidence, or cognate? Happy
That's what I had in mind, but not so extravagant (or funny). This particular stupidity seems to cross all cultural lines.

That would be a "Stalag Luft" something, right? It will be interesting to see the exchange you two have.

Time to trot out my 'Nam story (second hand): 'The only known convert to the South via propaganda was a VC in a trench with a buddy when a CIA or DOD plane flew overhead. Its bundle failed to open (to scatter the leaflets), and the buddy got clobbered with it. The survivor figured it was an omen of some kind, and 'opted out' of Uncle Ho's whizbang.' Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?