Cameras forum

General discussion

Taking Photos off LCD Screen

I try to snap photos off the PC's LCD screen. Sometimes the results are fine while other times, the colors are bluish and scanning lines appear which ruin the snapshots. Any advice?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Taking Photos off LCD Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Taking Photos off LCD Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Photo of LCD screen

In reply to: Taking Photos off LCD Screen

I have never done that intentionally.

So I gave it a try.

Remember to turn off your flash.

I have a 22" Dell monitor and used a Canon A570IS camera.

I selected a colorful photo of my own and displayed it full size on the PC screen.

I placed the camera lens so near to the PC screen that the picture filled the camera LCD screen.

Every shot (no matter what setting was used) had very strong herringbone patterns throughout the photo.

So I backed up so that the camera lens was 3 feet from the PC Monitor.
No more herringbone pattern.
The photo looked good (maybe a bit brighter than what I was seeing on the PC monitor.
Colors were good.

With the camera in Auto mode, the camera settings were 1/16th shutter speed, f2.6 aperture and ISO setting of 200.
That means you need to be using a tripod to support the camera to prevent blurring due to camera movement.

Conclusion:
It is not practical for any type of serious photography.

Collapse -
Taking Photos off LCD Screen

In reply to: Photo of LCD screen

Very interesting results. I have a question, if you place the camera 3 feet from the screen, that means you must use a zoom feature otherwise the photo will have a large border around it. So much black surrounding the image will cause the photo be be over-exposed (too light). I also have tried various shutter speeds but always made sure the screen filled-up the entire LCD screen on my camera. Strangely, I use a cheap Canon Point-and-Shoot and sometimes the photo comes-out without any pattern while other times, it gets the herringbone pattern you describe. Would a slow shutter speed help or make worse?

Collapse -
Photo of LCD Screen

Your analysis of my overexposed shots is right-on.

I did not zoom in and did have dark surrounding the target.
Using the center (spot) exposure setting should resolve that.

When I was shooting close to the screen I did try different shutter speeds and nothing helped the herringbone pattern.

I will try again later today and let you know the results.

Collapse -
Shooting off the LCD Screen

In reply to: Photo of LCD Screen

Some of my shots off the LCD screen are really great while others have the herringbone pattern. The colors shift so I tried to adjust the White Balance which helped a little. Of the 100 shots I made, about 60% had the pattern and 40% came out perfect and clear. I even tried using macro by placing the lens very close to the LCD screen. It seemed to make little difference.

Collapse -
Moire Pattern

In reply to: Shooting off the LCD Screen

It appears that the correct term is "Moire Pattern".

I visited a friend this morning and tried the same type of shot using his digital camera and computer.
Exact same results.
When we used a Photo from the Hubble camera there was no Moire Pattern. Well .... just a little, but you had to look hard to find it.
That photo was of outer-space and was very complex with hardly any individual surfaces.

I am guessing that the crosshatch pattern of the LCD pixels in the monitor is the cause.
If you look up "Moire Pattern" on the INTERNET, you will get an explanation of the cause.

I tried tilting the camera 10 degrees and taking a picture.
The Moire Pattern was still there, but it was quite different.

Then I tried shots at 3 feet, 4 feet and 5.5 feet.
(I had to stop at 5.5 feet as my optical zoom was maxed out at that point)
From that test, I would say that the further you get from the screen, the less Moire Pattern.
The photo at 5.5 feet was clean except for one small area.

Some Moire Patterns can be removed or lessened by software.
Here is a link on how to do it:

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=32082&seqNum=10

I tried the instructions and was able to clear up that small area on the photo that I took at 5.5 feet.

I could not find any one thing that would resolve the situation every time.

Now I understand why TV camera-men don't like men wearing striped shirts.
The real cure is .... make the man change his shirt.

Collapse -
Fully auto.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.