Cameras forum

General discussion

Taking Photos of finished Products

by shafton88 / February 5, 2008 5:50 AM PST

My company is interested in taking a photo of each product right before it is packaged. We have a Bar Code system as the product is scanned at each process. We would like to have a photo automatically taken of the finished product before it is boxed. We would like for this to be done by scanning it at the last process causing a photo to be taken before the product is boxed. Then we would like to store the picture along with the information about the product for future references. Does anyone know of any program or can provide insight into doing this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Taking Photos of finished Products
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Taking Photos of finished Products
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fairly easy to develop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2008 6:01 AM PST

I have a bar code, test program with MySQL backend running on some production lines. Just add a web cam, etc.

You need to write a stronger spec but it's under 10K for such a custom piece of software.

Bob

Collapse -
Photo requirements
by shafton88 / February 5, 2008 9:47 PM PST

We manufacture custom marble and granite vanity tops and would like to take a photo of each product before it is packaged. The size ranges from 19" to 130" in length and 17" to 25" in depth. All are 3/4" thick. We want top and front view shots of the product and must be of high quality to show the color (marble veining) and any flaws (cracks or patches) on the product. We manufacture approx. 150-200 per day.

We have Win 2000/XP and custom written barcode software. The software must have the ability to capture the photos of the vanity top when it is scanned right before packaging and then stored somewhere on our network for future references.

Collapse -
The spec needs improving.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2008 10:01 PM PST
In reply to: Photo requirements

"must be of high quality to show the color (marble veining)"

For example when you rewrite that you need to specify the pixel count of the image, number of colors, etcs. You also need to add details that lighting will be supplied via computer control since no camera I know does well in the usual factory lighting.

That is, remove from the requirement any passage that is "subjective."

Bob

Collapse -
PS. Last year we upgraded...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2008 10:05 PM PST

Last year I upgraded our kitchen to granite. I understand your issue as I went down to the supplier to pick from the slabs (not the exact one but from the lot they would use.) The variation is well known but I can see consumers might not understand it's a natural product etc.

For me a nice quick education on the product and more. I deal with factory testing so I can see most of what you are after and why I think the spec needs work so all parties understand.

Bob

Collapse -
Not exactly sure what we need
by shafton88 / February 5, 2008 11:11 PM PST

I realize that what we are looking for may not be feasible or over our budget. We do not have cameras now and do not know how many pixels are required to capture the detail we want.

We are just looking for suggestions as this is something we are not familiar with. We do appreciate your help and your quick responses.

Collapse -
8 Megapixels
by shafton88 / February 5, 2008 11:20 PM PST

We borrowed an employee's personal camera (Sony Cyber-shot) that has 8 megapixels. It seems to capture the detail we want which is full color.

Collapse -
Now you have a little better spec.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2008 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: 8 Megapixels

The system isn't that hard to make. The 10K price is about standard for custom apps. Heck it's not much more than some granite kitchen jobs so it's about right. Maybe you need to add to your spec the price target. No programmer will show up for much less. My software includes full source so the buyers are never stuck with dealing with just me. You know that story.

There is a way to make it part of your production process in a manual fashion today so to figure out how much it costs, do a test run manually with the camera and time how long it takes to get the pictures, go to the computer to upload it to the filing system you are going to use for a sample job.

When I do this calculation I load the time at a flat 100 per hour then find out how many jobs there are per month. From that we can calculat the payback period of the automated systems. Most companies will move forward at 12 month payback and do the no-brainer decision if it's under 3 months. Companies vary on this number.

Bob

Collapse -
Breeze Systems
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / February 5, 2008 7:25 AM PST

Breeze Systems makes software for certain Canon cameras.

You can check and see if it can be adapted to your needs.

You would need a computer in addition to the Canon camera.

http://www.breezesys.com/index.htm

Collapse -
Production Line Photos
by Fi0S-Dave / February 9, 2008 8:33 AM PST

You might want to look for a camera that has the capability of taking a picture when something comes into focus. Many sports photographers use this system when taking finish line photos. If you use a strobe and set the camera up properly, you should be able to take continuous shots easily. I've used this with my old Nikon Photomic FTn with a special back for taking nature photographs, where you don't want a human taking the picture!
Just a thought...and you could use a film camera with a 250 shot back if you can stand using real film!

Dave

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.