Laptops forum

General discussion

Taking notebook or desktop to Japan...?

by Chaos24278 / August 21, 2005 2:29 PM PDT

I'm moving to Osaka, Japan at the end of September. I'm wondering if I should bring my desktop, buy a notebook, or wait until I get over there to get a computer. I know Osaka has Den-Den Town, which has many cheap electronics stores, but I don't know about the availability of english notebooks there. Can anyone here help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Taking notebook or desktop to Japan...?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Taking notebook or desktop to Japan...?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
what ever you do....
by server / August 21, 2005 3:00 PM PDT

do not bother bringing any computer (or
any electronic gadget for that matter)
with you!! From the moment you land you
will drool non-stop at the latest and greatest
e shops around hands down.

As for your concern re: english OS you might
want to contact the folks at Dynamism.com

Sayonara

Collapse -
Buy a new notebook in Japan - get English Windows here first
by KenSanramon / August 22, 2005 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: what ever you do....

Yes, Japan has some ultralight notebooks that are not even sold in the US that people spend thousands on to get their hands on here.

If you get a Pentium M Notebook over there with all the top updated technology you should be able to load the US Microsoft XP operating system on it.

If you are worried about the cost of that over there then buy a copy of Windows XP or XP Professional in the US and then buy the notebook over there.

You are much better off buying the notebook in Japan so that you are assured of warranty service that is both local and available for the longest possible period when you are over there.

If you will be traveling back and forth to live you could get an HP/compaq busines model with an international warranty (hp.com not hpshopping.com) but a US consumer model only offers a US warranty.

Note that Apple is migrating to Intel chips late in 2006 and Microsoft Vista operating system is also debuting in late 2006 so try not to spend more than $1500 now if possible.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.