TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Taking a Sony TV XBR55X850A 4K to Australia from the US

by NewToThis99 / December 22, 2016 12:19 PM PST

Thanks in advance to everyone for their help.

I am moving from the US to Australia and am trying to decide on whether to sell my TV or take it with me.

I purchased it with the intention of taking it home (im from Australia, been in the US 3 years) and so I made sure that it had the ability to have 110-240V and 50-60Hz.

I recently heard that the international models are capable of NTSC and DVB-T (not sure I got that right) but the US models are only capable of NTSC.

My questions therefore are:

- Can I take this US model tv to Australia and use it and if so what are the limitations

- If I cant get free to air tv using a connection directly into the tv, am I able to have an Australian set top box and HDMI connection to the TV and still have the full functionality of the TV. Would I be missing anything?

I also bought the Sony BDVN7100W but I assume that is a write off due to the amplifier portion.

Thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Taking a Sony TV XBR55X850A 4K to Australia from the US
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Taking a Sony TV XBR55X850A 4K to Australia from the US
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I don't see documentation for 240v or 50Hz
by Pepe7 / December 22, 2016 2:10 PM PST

Please share more specifics online so we can verify it's the correct model number. Copying and pasting the above model numbers, I only see a manual for a US version w/o the specs you need for Oz.

Collapse -
The MAINS voltage and such
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2016 2:41 PM PST

Is usually on the sticker near the power input to the set. Maybe the OP can take a picture for us?

Collapse -
Picture info
by NewToThis99 / December 22, 2016 3:35 PM PST

Thanks so much for this everyone. i took a pic but dont know how to attach it, it only lets me add a link and I dont use imgur etc.  Pic info typed below:

Model No: XBR-55X850A
LCD TV / TV ACL
110V - 240V ~  50/60Hz   264W

Then it has a box with the following in it
the FC symbol, Energy Verified
120V~
60Hz
264W
C UL US Listed
Audio/Video E192039
Apparatus 51 RA

CAN ICES-3 B/NMB-3 B
Standard Television Receiving Apparatus
Ser No: 6002629
Sep 2013

Made in Mexico

I skipped the caution stuff

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: TV
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 22, 2016 12:55 PM PST

-Is that free to air TV digital or analog?
-Do they have NTSC or PAL in Australia?

Collapse -
Response
by NewToThis99 / December 22, 2016 3:37 PM PST
In reply to: Re: TV

It is a free to air digital
Australia uses DVB-T

Thanks for this.

Collapse -
Answer
This is something kicked around a lot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2016 1:29 PM PST
Collapse -
website
by NewToThis99 / December 22, 2016 3:40 PM PST

Thanks for that. I did have a read of it and my concern is whether the 2012 data is still valid.

I will try connecting my laptop to see if it offers me the options the article mentions

Collapse -
It is. Not much has changed here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2016 3:49 PM PST
In reply to: website

You can get the voltage and Hz compatibility from the back of the set too. You wrote "110V - 240V ~ 50/60Hz 264W" so that's what we call free voltage in the industry. There's only one or maybe a few 100V 50Hz locations and I think it was Japan. So as far as power it looks fine.

Collapse -
Thanks
by NewToThis99 / December 22, 2016 5:07 PM PST

Thats good to know then, thank you.

I guess the next question is, if the NTSC v DVB-T issue arises, can i just use an Australian set top box with an HDMI for my free to air.

from that link you sent it seems like that would be ok. The TV has 4 HDMI input slots so I could use one for the STB and the others for whatever else.

Am I missing something?

Collapse -
I see the set top box answer is mxed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2016 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

It may or may not work. It will still work with say a Roku stick you bring with you and your laptop/desktop.

The thing that really causes folk to explode is there is usually no warranty repair/coverage on new sets as they change countries and repair is sometimes impossible as the local service center does not have parts for another country model.

In recap, the tuner is dead. Set top box might work and Roku or laptop/PC/Apple works.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?