General discussion

Tainted media john kerrys discharge papers

February 18, 2005 | Print | Send

The recent resignation of CNN's news director, Eason Jordan, after his outrageous remarks about our military at an international forum were reported on the Internet, is only the latest in a series of media scandals, of which Dan Rather's forged documents were just one. Media bias does not consist in having liberal or conservative opinions but in how you do your job -- or don't do it.

One document whose authenticity is not likely to be questioned by the mainstream media is the honorable discharge on Senator John Kerry's web site. Yet who in the major media has investigated why that honorable discharge is dated during the Carter administration, when Kerry's military service ended years earlier?

This is the same media that spent months investigating George W. Bush's military record and, even after key allegations were revealed to be based on forgeries, continued publicizing rumors and innuendoes. They didn't stop even after the President signed Form 180, opening all his military records to the public.

But who in the major media has asked why John Kerry would need to be issued an honorable discharge during the Carter administration, years after leaving the navy, unless his original discharge was less than honorable?

One of Jimmy Carter's first acts as President was to issue an order granting amnesties to draft dodgers who had fled the country during the Vietnam war and also allowing an upgrading of military discharges that had been less than honorable.

There is more to this than simply a strange date on an honorable discharge. The covering memo refers to U.S. Code Title 10, sections 1162 and 1163. Anyone who bothers to read those sections will discover that they are about unusual circumstances for issuing discharges from the military services.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/ts20050218.shtml

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Tainted media john kerrys discharge papers
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Tainted media john kerrys discharge papers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
yup the foreigners have much to say

and why didnt kerry release his records
you all still dont know why but the post i showed you said it all.

and you supported that liar.

- Collapse -
Mark, why the hell would you post

that as a reply to what I said?

Dan

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hey Dan! Kudos! My hat is off to you.
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks
- Collapse -
Oops! *not* our syntax.

Or our proofreading skills.

Grin

Dan

- Collapse -
ok pts??? not a reason to get purple heart

so he lied about getting wounded to get his awards

great choice of your wanting a man like him.

- Collapse -
I see you are now an expert on DOD personnel policies

Rob. As a 'historian', you should know that it is illegal for the military to release personal information about an individual without their consent. Just how was anyone supposed to unearth this information without Kerry's consent? What possible, credible sources would there be? Who really wanted to unearth information? CBS?

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hey! KP, didn't you mean SeeBS?? LOL
- Collapse -
Way to go Rob!

When you can't find an argument to back you up, just attack Mark's spelling! That is surely a sign of a strong mind! NOT! Sad
Glenda

- Collapse -
A better guess...

which fits the known facts much better is that Kerry was a grandstanding PITA in Vietnam and pissed off enough superiors that they moved to get him out of there before he could cause some real damage with his antics and attitude. They wanted to protect this pampered aristocrat so they did it quietly and let his discharge hang until someone else could deal with it.

Whether he was actually a coward as some contend I don't know, but the idea that he was a war hero is clearly overstated.

Mark has a good point. He should release the records and everyone, including liberals should insist on it. Or are they afraid of what they might find? I doubt very much it's PTSS.

- Collapse -
ed they dont want

to be proved wrong again 1st was that kerry will be elected, 2nd time there wont be any elections, 3rd time will prove that kerry was yellow or not till proven different ill say he was yellow

- Collapse -
If you really think Bush (& Quayle) got in the Guard without

lots ofstring-pulling, I have a bridge I want to sell you...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

- Collapse -
Reply:

Dave, I'll grant that Dan Quayle had strings pulled to get in the Indiana National Guard, just as Al Gore had strings pulled to get a journalism billet in Saigon, where he served all of 6 months before returning Stateside, AIR. That was a sad but common thing in those days, and is yet another reason why we should never return to conscription for manning the military.

However, Dan Quayle isn't the issue here, but rather a distraction you set up. President Bush is the issue, and all the things I've read clearly state that while the Texas Air Guard may have had a waiting list in a number of carrer fields at the time, F-102 pilot wasn't one of them. Fighter pilots don't grow on trees, and the TANG was as short handed as any other Air Force and Air Guard outfit at the time.

So, Dave, the analogy doesn't ho;d up under close examination - as the fantasies of the Bush haters about all of W's ANG service. Try again.

- Collapse -
and if you think Kerry didn't lie

i have some swamp land for sale.
but thats the typical responce why wouldnt he release seems there more to this than a liar hmmm

- Collapse -
and that has what to do with Kerry?

............long silence..............

Oops, changing the subject to deflect the truth doesn't always work. Recheck DNC manual.

- Collapse -
Your thinking you have one to sell...

tells a lot about your thought processes Dave--they appear to be in a small forgotten box on that bridge.

Just because you don't want to believe denials by the people who were in any position to influence doesn't lend credence to your posit.

Memory seems to remind that you claim to have avoided the draft by having an asthmatic condition--who had the string pulling influence to convince the draft board that it was debilitating enough to avoid service? Many asthmatics were drafted -- must have been because they had no one to pull strings eh?

Then too you might want to consider that Kerry joined the Naval RESERVE after failing to get a requested deferment so one could sat that enlisting in the RESERVE was an attempt to avoid the draft (actually one needn't say it because Kerry himself stated such to a Boston Globe reporter).

But, but, but Kerry REQUESTED an assignment to Vietnam--so did Bush, TWICE.

CNET Forums