Tablets forum

Question

Tablet with Excel or photoshop?

by heather713 / September 3, 2013 11:14 AM PDT

I currently do all my work on a Mac but would like to switch to a tablet for at least half of what I do (it's a challenge to tote my laptop everywhere I need to go).

I'd like to find a tablet that is functional with spreadsheets like Excel or Numbers AND/OR can use a program or app like Photoshop (I don't need it for photo editing, but rather for creating simple backgrounds and designs with text and then saved in JPG). Ideally I'd like both options, but I recognize that I might not be able to get everything I want. I use Polaris Office on my smartphone but am not a big fan - perhaps it's because of a small screen or a poor phone? - because editing is difficult and it's a challenge to retrieve my changes.

I'm using a Droid smartphone and really like things like Google Play. But since everything I do is on a Mac am I better off with iPad just because of compatibility? How easy is it to use Numbers on an iPad?

I also am with Verizon, so it would need to be usable with their 4G network.

Other needs are so simple I think any tablet would fit the bill: email, playing music, web browsing, some e-reading.

Thanks for any direction!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tablet with Excel or photoshop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tablet with Excel or photoshop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So far
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2013 11:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
Photoshop alternatives?
by heather713 / September 5, 2013 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: So far

The pen is definitely intriguing. Although the cost is about the same as an ipad. It looks like Photoshop Express is the only thing compatible with Windows 8 Pro - which as far as I can tell is only for photo editing. Are there other apps or software tools that go beyond just photos? (text on a designed background)

Numbers on the ipad is a positive - didn't realize that was an option. I assume the cloud is the easiest way to ensure changes are captured between devices? And does that mean that Excel is available on Windows 8 Pro tablet? But what does that mean for document sharing with my Mac?

Collapse -
Why would you write that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 10:08 AM PDT

"It looks like Photoshop Express is the only thing compatible with Windows 8 Pro"

Windows 8 Pro can run the same Photoshop as you do on laptops and desktops. This is the surest way to assure that you get everything you asked for.

MS Office is available and since it's Windows 8 Pro, you should be able to run Windows Office 2003 to today's current version as well as the free LibreOffice.

Can you define document sharing? Here I just put my docs and such on dropbox and can access them on all my machines. To me that's document sharing.
Bob

Collapse -
because...
by heather713 / September 6, 2013 1:40 AM PDT

a quick search on the Adobe forum last night was only showing Photoshop Express, however after looking again this morning I see that Express is the latest news, not the only option. So I recant that question and appreciate your correction.

Document sharing - in terms of compatibility between devices and retaining changes. I've only used iCloud, Google Docs and Polaris Office to share files from one device to another. I've been pleased with iCloud, horrid experience with Google Docs (it's a pain to import back to my Mac) and can only seem to share in one direction with Polaris.

After just learning that I can only print from an iPad using their special printer, that's probably not an option. Right now printing isn't important, but it's a possibility in the future. Looks like Windows 8 Pro is easy to install printer software.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?