The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Tablet PC or Macbook??

by rhutchison123 / June 24, 2006 4:58 PM PDT

Can someone please help me make a decision..I like the idea of being able to run windows on the new macs..kind of like having 2 computers in 1 Apple and Windows PC..Is it really that simple..? Then again being a college student I like the benefits of the tablet ..Also if i was to download say itunes I would have to install it on both OS's one in windows and the other for a Mac.?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Tablet PC or Macbook??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Tablet PC or Macbook??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd buy neither of them
by SantiagoCrespo / June 24, 2006 5:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Tablet PC or Macbook??

IMHO, Tabled PCs are way overpriced, and so are macs.
I'd buy a nice thin and light from HP, something with a core duo and 2gb of ram, some models in the DV1600 series even come with an integrated webcam, just like the macs. But I'm partial to PC notebooks.

Collapse -
Misleading
by MacHugger / June 24, 2006 8:09 PM PDT

I just went to HPs website and configured their entry level dv1000t with similar specs to the Macbook and they're both in the same ballpark with one having features that the other doesn't without an upgrade.

For example, the Mac has the built in iSight and the HP would have the DVD burner without spending extra. So the phrase "way overpriced" is "way inaccurate."

But most importantly, the MacBook will alow you to operate MacOS, Linux and Windows whereas the HP never allows you to leave the land of Linux or 'Doze.

Bottom line - check the price and specs of any machine you are considering and don't just take our word for it. The Macbook is hardly an overpriced machine for everything that comes with it. HP is playing somewhat of a bait and switch game when you go to their site and see "Starting at $569." Make it competitive with its Mac counterpart and you soon see how the claim of "Macs are way overpriced" is unfair.

-Kevin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) YES - Thin and light is the way to go
by cardsbb9 / June 24, 2006 10:06 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I do agree...
by 3bose / June 25, 2006 6:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Take this advice from someone who owns a Tablet PC
by cardsbb9 / June 24, 2006 9:51 PM PDT

I own a tablet PC and in fact I am typing on it now.

The Tablet PC is not worth the extra money.

All the extra software you need to take advantage of the Tablet functions come in 'bits and pieces' and are not truly integrated into the OS which means your memory is chewed up real quick.

99.98% of the time I use the machine I use it in 'notebook mode' instead of 'tablet mode'. This fact combined with the above fact means that in notebook mode I waste a lot of memory on software that loads on boot-up that does me no good.

The Toshiba Tablet PC is the best for the money however it is too heavy to schlep around all the time. The battery life stinks. It is big and clumsy to handle. I found that the default orientation when in Tablet mode was 'backwards' to me, however when I reverse it (and use it in tablet mode) the heat exhaust is now pointed downward instead of upward which means when I have it sitting in my lap I am roasting my nuts and the unit overheats.

Customer support from Toshiba America is all oriented toward corporate customers. In fact everything about Toshiba America is oriented toward corporate customers. This means when things break you have to leave the unit with them for weeks.

And things did break on me. The speaks blew as well as the sound logic. The keyboard also fell apart (at least the space bar.)

I found that the extra money I spent getting the tablet was not worth it. Speaking of money the machine is shipped separate from the 'extras' I bought (and you need to buy a lot of 'extras'). The 'extras' shipped early as they were in stock but the base unit had to be configured before shipping. This meant that my credit card was charged each time for each shipment (the way corporate customers prefer) instead of all at once for my whole order. It also meant that I was out of money before the whole thing was done. It also means that I spent money before I could use the stuff as the base unit shipped last.

Collapse -
Examine this little puppy instead of a Tablet PC
by cardsbb9 / June 24, 2006 10:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
OQO for college?
by robstak / June 25, 2006 3:19 AM PDT

I think it's a cool gadget, but for college, I think I'd get something with more substance. Would you type term papers on that? lol. Obviously it depends on a couple of things like whether or not this would be your only computer or a secondary?

The pharmacy school across the street "gives" all their students gateway tablets for school. All the lecture outlines are emailed to them and they use them as templates and write in the rest using the tablet.

The ppl I know w/ tablets seem to like them for school purposes, but then again they got them for free. I would hate to pay a premium for my spacebar to fall off. I think if you are really comitted to taking notes in class using the tablet, I'd go with the McBook.

Collapse -
if OQO is $50.. then
by big10ken / June 26, 2006 3:33 AM PDT

OQO can be the worst mobile computer you can ever buy... unless you like spending money for newest lame gadget for no apparent reason...

many of My friends (in IT) had the Crusoe based laptops before.. all of them swear never to go back to it ever again...

since you are in a college ( I assume you are like 16 year-old?) get a nice cheap deall for under $1000.. and you will be very happy.. use it for a year or so and, by then, you will know what you want for a serious computing.

Don't get mac unless you REALLY want it.

Collapse -
keystroke have you seen this?
by big10ken / June 26, 2006 3:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
I like it!
by cardsbb9 / June 26, 2006 5:15 AM PDT

I posted the link into del.icio.us

Collapse -
I own a macbook, and i'd recommend it
by Ravensblood / June 24, 2006 10:54 PM PDT

I assume you are using windows right now and wouldn't have to buy a new copy, since I've never heard a Mac user question if they should consider a windows laptop...it says something about Macs, I think.

With Parallels you will have the best of both worlds (for $50). I think you'd be really happy with it. not to mention that end-user ram and HD installation is so simple. Just but the extra RAM from a 3rd party vender..2GB for $200.

read david pogue''s recent post on parallels. http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/?p=76

Collapse -
I also own a MacBook
by awinn233 / June 25, 2006 4:52 AM PDT

Installing Windows on a Macbook is simple to do. However, many of the great features of the Macbook don't work in Windows yet. For example, the video camera doens't work, the trackpad does work but it will not scroll or right click, the battery life itsn't that great in windows, the volume and brightness keys don't work, and there is no delete key to do ctrl-alt-del (there is a delete key, but it's really a backspace key). Like most laptops, the Macbook does get hot. You'll also find that the screen is very hard to clean since it is glossy. However, the Macbook is a fast machine and the perfect size for college (I'm a college student myself). Go with the black :).

Collapse -
I would go with a MacBook
by Stan0807 / June 26, 2006 3:42 AM PDT

I recently bought a MacBook after my Windows laptop died. I would say that the benefits of a Tablet PC are minimal and you end up not using them as much as you would think. A few of my friends have them and they rarely (if ever) fold them over to write on. You would have to install two instances of iTunes, but you could always just use Parallels to play music in one operating system while you work in another one. For college students (expecially us in Computer Engineering), MacBooks are lifesavers. Go with the Apple.

Collapse -
Macbook
by Anna Beaulieu / June 26, 2006 5:15 AM PDT

I'm brand new to the Mac side, thanks to my new Macbook. If you want to be able to have the benefit of having access to both Windows and OSX, you can't beat the Macbook for the price. I recently removed Windows from mine however, after discovering that I prefer to use OSX for home use. For work and gaming, I use my desktop pc.

As far as the negative reviews go, the heat isn't really that bad. My only gripe is the really low speaker volume in OSX. It's fine in windows though, which leads me to believe it's not a hardware issue, but software.

If you want to see your share of problems, go check out HP and Dell's latest laptop offerings. I swear the quality is getting cheaper and cheaper. Specifically the Dell Inspirons feel like toys.

Collapse -
I'd wait for the MacBook's glitch, or get a G4 powerbook....
by shantanubala / June 26, 2006 9:01 AM PDT

Ok, it really depends on your need for having a laptop right away... The MacBook is way too messy right now, it's like at a "beta" stage, or maybe even "alpha" depending on how you look at it. It's a mess right now with the Intel/Apple laptops. I'd ALWAYS recommend an Apple over a PC, so I'd get a G4 Powerbook if you're in a hurry. You can get a refurb Powerbook for cheap on Apple's web-site. So there's the Apple option.

If you want the PC, go ahead. I don't really care for Tablet PC's, but if that's your cup of tea, drink it.

-Shantanu

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) where do you get your information?
by Ravensblood / June 27, 2006 12:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
I think that a tablet would be better
by bryan_panda / June 26, 2006 10:45 PM PDT

If you think about it, macbook is still very new and the magsafe charge is still causing alot of problems out there. so why get the tablet pc benfit with the traditional chanrge and being vista ready. another thing there was a guy who manage to boot mac os x on a dell try that.. irts on techeblog

Collapse -
Headline inflation
by MacHugger / June 28, 2006 6:18 AM PDT

First off, there aren't "alot of problems" with the magsafe. There is an isolated freakish incident here and there that has made blogging news. But since the same sensationalist story appears on a thousand different blahg sites, it inflates the relevance of it.

As for trying to boot the Mac OS on anything other than a Powerbook, good luck with that. Even if you can manage to do it successfully on a Dill or other PC, Apple is not supporting drivers and other important software that will make it run smoothly.

You primarily just need to decide what you find more important. Is it being able to boot multiple OS's on a fast, sleek, stylish device or having an ultra-portable unit that has no keyboard and runs (only) a somewhat poorly implemented tablet version of an already weak OS? Happy

-Kevin

Collapse -
no keyboard?
by SantiagoCrespo / June 28, 2006 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Headline inflation

I guess you're confusing Tablen PCs with Origamis. Tablet PCs are ordinary notebooks which have swiveling screens which are also touchscreens.

Origamis (UMPCs) have no keyboard.

Collapse -
Correct - Tablet PCs have keyboards
by cardsbb9 / June 28, 2006 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: no keyboard?

But when the keyboard is exposed, you are not using the feature that makes it a 'tablet'. When you are using it in tablet-mode the keyboard is obscured.

Which, if the handwriting recognition was better (500% better) then it wouldn't matter that the keyboard is obscured, but it isn't.

When I am using the tablet pc in tablet-mode it is only for the 'art' programs that are freely available. it is nice to tinker with making art that way, but unless you are an artist at heart and a total dweeb when it comes to computers I don't think you will use it after the novelty wears off.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OH - but the billiards game is cool
by cardsbb9 / June 28, 2006 6:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yep, my assumption
by MacHugger / June 28, 2006 6:29 AM PDT
In reply to: no keyboard?

Yeah, Origami-type devices are what I've been assuming for a college a student. Not sure what benefit the bulky tablet PC would be for a student already lugging heavy books around. Handwritten notes? Ick.

If I were a student and considering a computing device other than a laptop, it would only be in the Origami category or smaller.

If that's not what he meant then... never mind Happy

-Kevin

Collapse -
The Mac, Definitely.
by driftingdragonfly / June 28, 2006 4:51 AM PDT

I'm really interested in some of the advantages of the Tablet but having switched to the Mac I don't think I could go back. The main reason is I've now gotten used to actually getting things done, as opposed to, indefinite tweaking (not to mention my semi-annual reinstall of Windows).

With the Intel Mac I would suggest using Parallels to run Windows (and Linux if you are inclined) on top of OSX. Then you could forget having to load iTunes on Windows (and, of course, that wouldn't preclude using Bootcamp).

On a tangent: my interest in the tablet is more to use a slate to more comfortably read blogs, etc., lying on the couch than in the handwriting function. Pen based interface with a browser would be more natural until you have to input a URL or fill a form.

Collapse -
As a student, Tablet
by Tyrax / June 30, 2006 12:27 PM PDT

As a student I used a tablet with One Note and it was awesome. The idea of hand written notes for science classes that are also searchable, is a killer app. But that scenario is a small audience

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?