Desktops forum

General discussion

t6212 software dvd problems?

Has anyone with the emachines T6212 had any problems reading Software DVDs? My Radeon x800 card came with a PC DVD version of the game Thief: Deadly Shadows, but the drive won't read it. Every other computer I've tried the disc on has booted up the game install screen from the disc with no problems. The same drive will recognize movie DVDs with no problems though. Is this my particular drive, or is it a driver problem with the T6212 in general? I called e-machines tech support and they were pretty much useless - they wanted me to reformat my hard drive, as if that was going to solve a hardware problem. I tried reinstalling the drivers for the DVD drive but it didn't make any difference.

Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: t6212 software dvd problems?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: t6212 software dvd problems?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
update

In reply to: t6212 software dvd problems?

I tried the DVD on a display model T6212 at Circuit City and that one wouldn't play it either. Am I right in thinking that this is a driver problem, since the disc works fine on several other computers, but doesn't get recognized on two T6212s?

Collapse -
re

In reply to: update

i have a t5026 and my dvd drive stopped workin completely. i called emachines and they also told me to reformat my drive. but i didnt cuz i know dat had nothing to do with it and they gave me a new drive and it works.

maybe the drive in the t6212 is the same one found in the t5026 made by toshiba/samsung storage corp?

if it is then dat drive suks

Collapse -
Fixed!

In reply to: re

It turns out it WAS a driver problem, although it's disturbing that e-machines wasn't aware of it. I went to Samsung's website, the manufacturer of the drive, downloaded the latest drivers (TOS10 I think), and now its working fine.

Not too impressed with e-machines' tech support...

Collapse -
You have an x800?

In reply to: Fixed!

Hey Sarre,

Did I read that right, you have an x800 in your T6212?

My question is did you have to change out the power supply to get that card to work with your pc or are you using the factory power supply?

Also, glad you got the dvd drive working, I may need that driver when I get mine I guess lol. Thanks for that too!

Thanks!

SeaninWa

Collapse -
x800

In reply to: You have an x800?

No, the powersupply was fine. I think it has a 400W supply? Not sure tho.

I was a little dissapointed tho, I was trying it out with Doom 3 and it ran OK at the highest settings, but there were still a few little hiccups. I had to set it back to the second highest to get really smooth performance (which still looks really good). Tho I'm told that ATI's cards aren't the best for Doom 3. I'm running WoW too and its good at the highest settings but not perfect - the camera stutters every now and then, but just for a second. WoW also says it runs best on NVidia cards tho...

Its a decent little machine, but it is not a powerhouse. But at the price, I'm happy with it. I also had a problem with the sound card, but it so far is fixed just by turning off all the stuff in the start menu cept for Norton AV and BigFix (The emachines update software that still DOESN'T have the latest drivers for the DVD drive).

Collapse -
Thanks for the quick reply!

In reply to: x800

Hi,

So the power supply no problem, good to know, thanks!

I play WoW also and will be using it with this same machine. I will add 1Gb of ram, for a total of 1.5Gb.

I am wondering though, have you upgraded the ram, if so what did you add, please?

I saw your previous posts that you included a link for the 2x512MB sticks, did you get those and add them then and still you get some problems like you described?

I would not be happy I think, especially since I will only be getting a 6600gt or x700pro. Can't really afford the one you have.

I will just not be able to play on full settings I guess. More ram wouldn't help I don't think.

Btw I have read ATI does crappy on Doom3 as well.

Thanks,

SeaninWa

Collapse -
power supply

I just got off the phone with e-machines and was told that the power supply is 300 watt and they can send a 350 watt unit for $59.95. Also, opening the case does not void the warranty.

Thought you might want to know.............. Tom

Collapse -
Thanks Tom

In reply to: power supply

Hey Tom,

Thank you very much for the info!

SeaninWa

** I just wonder if I am going to need a larger power supply, than the 300w factory? **

Collapse -
re:

In reply to: Thanks Tom

I was going to put in a evga 6600gt into either the T6216 or the Gateway 827GM. The 6600gt requires at least 350 watts as per their web site.

Tom

Collapse -
Power, Memory

In reply to: re:

Wow, I had no idea the power supply was so wimpy. Not surprising though. Dunno how it affects performance - my card (GIGABYTE) doesn't have a spec for Power Supply, but other x800 Pros want 350. Maybe that's why I'm getting little problems?

I did install the 1GB I linked to. I installed it immediately after I bought it, so I can't really say how much of an improvement it was. I think the reason its so cheap is that its NonECC memory, but I don't know that that makes such a big difference.

The T6212 is reasonably responsive, a little slow to boot up though. My work computer is 2.66 GHz PIV Dell Optiplex, and this computer seems about on par with it, or a little zippier. I'm basically happy with it as a prolly 3-year replacement for the old 1Ghz PIII laptop I've been using, but it isn't a super-amazing computer. Its a good value for what you pay though.

BTW, my T6212 came with a $20 mail-in rebate for the X700 pro.

Collapse -
ffdshow / hd movies

hi saree

did u try watchding wmv hd movies or dvds-with-upscaling
-software-like-ffdshow on ur x800?

when u use doom3, how much is cpu load at higher resolutions.

i am trying to use ffdshow with zoom player pro, on the integrated x300 video card and the cpu hits 100% and audio starts staggering.

ur inputs could be helpful

Collapse -
use ffdshow oct 2004

In reply to: ffdshow / hd movies

finally figured out ffdshow march 2005 version is the culprit.

downgraded to ffdshow oct 2004 version and i am able
to upscale to 1280x720 resolution.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.