Phones forum

General discussion

T-Mobile or Verizon???

I have been with AT&T for the past two years and I HATE IT WITH A PASSION. My contract expires soon and I'm looking at either Verizon or T-Mobile. I've heard great things about Verizon's coverage in my area (Portland, OR), but T-Mobile's plans are closer to what I want. I'm also looking at moving in the next year and wondering how difficult it may be to change service areas with both carriers.

Any advice is most appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: T-Mobile or Verizon???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: T-Mobile or Verizon???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: T-Mobile or Verizon???

In reply to: T-Mobile or Verizon???

I was T-mobil customer for 3 years...Great service when you have reception...but here in NJ not realy good coverage....Now i get Verizon...lot better reception...not so much drop calls..but T-Mobil GSM.(COOL Futures)..Verizon CDMA.(VERY POOR Futures)..You should try T-Mobil for 15 days or how much they offer...and if you get good signal everywhere you will be have it in the future too...I can say the only one ..if the T-Mobil reception was good where I live know...I NEVER,NEVER swich to Verizon

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: T-Mobile or Verizon???

Thanks andco. Anyone else have an opinion?

Collapse -

T-Mobile definitely! If you are allowed to test coverage for free as andco suggested I would do so and if the coverage is good it is a no brainer - T-Mobile!
Any International traveling? If yes, then T-Mobile is even in a stronger position. Roaming agreements globally - you can basically take your phone almost to any country and be able to make and receive calls (requires International agreement and certain type of phone but they carry for instance the Sony Ericsson T610 and others).

Collapse -

Thanks a lot, brewer. No, I'm not planning on doing much international traveling, but I know both companies offer a 14 or 15 day trial period, so I'll start with T-Mobile and see how it goes. Thank you very much for the help!

Collapse -

I'm sorry, but I think features are worthless when you can't rely on your cell phone's reception, eh.

Collapse -

I've had T-mobile (or companies that they have bought) for about 4 years and have never had problems w/ my phone's reception in my home area. My guess would be that if you live in a rural area, Verizon might be better. If you are living in an area where T-mobile has good coverage, T-Mobile would be the better bet.

Collapse -

T-Mobile only seems interested in covering heavily populated areas, not rural areas. T-Mobile really hasn't tried improving coverage in Indiana or in Chicago. People I know complain more about T-Mobile in Chicago than Verizon Wireless. When they were VoiceStream, the service didn't meet my needs because of coverage. Same holds true today, but T-Mobile let the Chicago market go downhill at handling the extra calls that people can't use their phones in Chicago at different times of the day because of overloaded circuits, or when a person does get to use their phone in Chicago, there's lots of static. I know more people having Verizon Wireless than T-Mobile, or any other service, simply because Verizon Wireless spends more money to cover their areas better. Verizon might be more expensive, but if you're in an area that has Verizon Wireless, I'd recommend them over any other service. Why do you think Verizon Wireless has a low turnover in customers

Collapse -

comparing t-mobile(gsm) to verizon(cdma) is like comparing an apple to an orange. they have their plus and minus.

-Verizon (CDMA)

THE GOOD: larger network. more coverage. larger consumer base. analog roam. more people "IN" (free mobile to mobile in certain places).

THE BAD: more likely to have drop calls, busy signals, unable to use overseas. pricey plans. to do an "add a line" to a plan is an additonal 20 bucks a month.

-Tmobile(gsm)

THE GOOD: Clearer network. able to work overseas. more phone choices(gsm phone choices). "get more" for what you pay. Ranked best customer service by J.D. Power & Assoc.

THE BAD: Smaller network. Less coverage. No analog roam.

NATIONAL PLANS COMPARED SIDE BY SIDE:

TMOBILE:
600 peak minutes.
-unl n+w.
-unl. M+M. add 6.99/month (unl. mobile to mobile on tmobile network)
-no roaming chgs.
-1 year agreement.
_____

VERIZON:
400 peak minutes
-unl n+w.
-"IN" network (unl. mobile to mobile certain areas)
-no roaming chgs.
-1 to 2 year agreement.
_____

SHARED PLANS SIDE BY SIDE NATIONAL PLANS

VERIZON
400 shared national
-unlimited N+W.
-unl. mobile to mobile (in certain areas)
-2 year agreement
_____
39.99 + 20.00 add a line
59.99 2 LINE TOTAL

TMOBILE
400 shared national
-unlimited N+W.
-unl. mobile to mobile (in tmobile network)
-1 year agreement
_____
49.99 2 LINE TOTAL

WHAT IT COMES DOWN TO

-my needs?
-do i travel alot?
-how often do i travel?
-where i travel?
-what do my friends/family have?
-where i live?

the truth, it all comes down to the signal strength pull on the phone and how close you are to a tower.

we are all already biased.

Collapse -

By ALL means, go with T-Mobile! Hands down kicks Verixon's but in customer service!

Collapse -

Does anyone know how difficult it is to change service areas on either carriers?

Collapse -

GREAT QUESTION!! I would also like to switch from AT&T and was wondering the same thing, although I was actually trying to decide between Verizon and Sprint. My husband used to have T-Mobile and the coverage was horrible. I'm wondering if they've improved their coverage, because from the sounds of it, T-Mobile is a good phone service. When I look at the coverage map on their website, they definitely have better coverage on the east coast. It seems like when we would go to Idaho, Wyoming and Nevada, my husbands phone didn't have service every time. Does anybody have any opinions about T-Mobile in the Utah area?!

Thanks!

Collapse -

Definitely T-Mobile. Their network isn't as large as Verizon just yet, but they will be buying CellularOne here soon and that will add a lot. Plus the GSM technology is far better than the CDMA of Verizon.

Plus I help found the system in the Western US that is now Verizon and have been with them for over 15 years. And finally got tired of the lies and very poor service and had to move when they started charging me 40 cents a minute for on average of 2200 minutes a month for calls to be transferred to a land line because they never made it to my cell phone. And this is in Denver the base for the original cell system for 14 Western states.

I called and Faxed a list a mile long of all the crap that I have had to put up with including being sent a CB antennae to attach to a pocket flip phone to get better reception. The manufacturer of the antennae said first the antennae had nothing to do with cellular technology and wouldn't work. Then he told me that piece hadn't be made in 10 years or shipped in 5. He had no idea how Verizon got the antenna's or why they sent it to me. He got a real big laugh out of that.

So with this and the list of other things, I was told that my early termination fee, since I had to get a new phone recently since the last one just wouldn't work and when being updated at a store caught fire, and they put it on my account as an upgrade (which shouldn?t have happened) adding 2 years to my contract, would be waived. Then I get my final bill and there's the fee. When I called to find out what was going on I was told that they had changed their minds. Well the Colorado State Attorney Generals office says think again. I feel this might be grounds to investigate a Class Action Suit for the fees but, I want my money back for the past couple of years when my phone really didn't work and Verizon lied that they were upgrading my area to fix the situation and weren?t. An additional funny thing is that their corporate offices are here in Greenwood Village and try to contact them, good luck. Their ?my problem is their problem and will fix it on the first call? is another lie. Notice that the ?can you hear me? commercials have mostly stopped. That?s because they lied about their coverage area and now by law they have to accurately represent it, they aren?t making the obvious, obvious that they don?t have the coverage that they use to imply they had.

A great thing about T-Mobile is if you call in a bad coverage area they put out a trouble ticket and whether or not there is a problem with the tower at that location, they send out a repair crew to investigate. Then you get a text message all about what is happening and if there is going to be any work or upgrades in the near future. Verizon hardly knows where their towers are and have to have a minimum of 3-5 calls before they?ll think about looking into it. Also Verizon is the last to get the good phones because as a manufacturer in Korea told me that Verizon demands that so much of the software of the phones be altered that the phones barely work and they have to take the blame. So either they have to make it work, which takes time, or they just don?t let Verizon have the phones.

There?s more, much more, but this should, I hope be enough to convince you. Go T-Mobile!!!!

Collapse -

Thank you for the info-very informative! I've been juggling the different services and trying to decide which one to use, but haven't been able to talk to any actual customers of Verizon. Of course when you talk to a Verizon Rep, their service is the best.

A few years ago (about 7-8) I decided to try Airtouch, one of the companies that Verizon bought out. It was TERRIBLE. I only had the phone for a week and EVERY call I had on that phone was dropped for one reason or another-if I could make a call in the first place. I ended up canceling the service after a week or two (assuming I had a 30-day trial period-as with most companies). They charged me a grip for the 'early termination' on the contract, over $350 and sent it into collections. Had I been in a financial situation to fight it, I would have, but I wasn't and had to just cut my losses and pay the collection agency to restore my credit and get the AHs off my back.

I swore I would never switch my cell phone company again. Now, after being with AT&T more than 10 years, I'm sick of the BS I have to deal with-not to mention their new service (M-Life) or whatever it is, is horrible. I'm still on their old service because my husband's family changed to their M-life service and hate it. They can't even make a call from their home because it's in a gully type area.

After hearing from an actual customer of Verizon, and hearing they treated you exactly like the old company treated me, I'll NEVER try Verizon!

Thanks again!!

Collapse -

I have T-Mobile for 3 years now, first I had phone phone service with Sprint (which is good cover area, bad reception), then I switched to Cingular (best signal, worst coverage area) then finally I found T-Mobile. I agree T-Mobile provide great phone, good signal, good coverage area, better yet free phone and no roaming charge whatsoever. I'll never be with any other carrier service.
Friend of mine have service with AT&T, good phone (not free), good signal, worst customer service. If you are out of job, have absolutely nothing to do and currently receiving unemployment check from government then your should switched to AT&T, because at least for the first 3 month you will have to spend quite alot of hours on the phone to get the bill straight or pay $435.
Verizon, I really don't have much experience, but "can you hear me now" commercail. Come'on guy, that annoying

Collapse -

I could tell a lot, I started with bell south in 95 then to primeco. Primeco never gave me any problems till verizon took it over, then it went down hill. Verizon commercials for can you hear me now is truly a lie, I called c/s because my calls dropped every day at the same time at the same place at work. First I call and talk 2 seconds then drop, then call again and get 2 rings then drop, I had to make the call 3 to 5 times in a row to get it thru, customer service told me it was the startac phone having a problem,(every day same time and same cycle of attempts???) so I used my audiovox and the problem was exactly the same, I was with primeco/verizon for 4 years and dropped them before I found a new service. I tried nextell and bought 2 phones and was charged for 6 2 twice in 2 months, try a $680 bill.

I am looking for a new service again and was looking at T Mobile and you all have helped me make up my mind. I hope I helped and thank you for your help...

Robert

Collapse -

I have Verizon Wireless in NW Indiana and have had few problems. I don't have many dropped calls like people I know who have T-Mobile, AT&T, Cingular, and US Cellular. In my area, US Cellular acquired Primeco and US Cellular has horrible service in my area. I don't know how the old Ameritech Cellular was, but Verizon Wireless acquired them after SBC wasn't allowed to acquire Ameritech Cellular since then Cellular One and Ameritech Cellular served the same markets. Verizon spent a lot of money on the Chicago market as well as the Miwlaukee markets where I travel. I however won't recommend Motorola phones for Verizon Wireless. They have a number of dead spots where Kyocera and LG phones have fewer dead spots, even with 1 or 2 bars. I owned a Kyocera phone and I noticed a big difference in my reception. Maybe Verizon is spending their money to upgrade tha largest markets where they're making a lot of money. No area has perfect reception. I looked at T-Mobile and I don't like the terms of the service and their coverage is crap, and I was told by a T-Mobile representative that I should rely on Cingular and AT&T's networks in many markets. I'm sorry,but why should I rely on other carriers networks when those carriers don't do enough to keep their networks from dropping calls. Also T-Mobile in Chicago tends to have overloaded circuits. That has made me want to stay with Verizon more. The only time I have problems is when i travel in Michigan on Alltel's network (Verizon's extended coverage) and that's where I have lots of dropped calls.

Collapse -

I also hate Verizon now. I guess I spent 12 hours on the phone to Verizon in the 6 months I've been a customer. They keep charging us incorrectly, and then say the computer is always right! My son's girlfriend isn't allowed to call him because it counts as a long distance call -- Verizon routes it through Batavia (30 miles away) even though we live 1 mile apart in a city, Rochester NY.

Angela I talked to tonight insists that calls within our family (should be free in the plan) are actually roaming calls! Hard to restrain myself from yelling at her.

Collapse -

Don't go near T-Mobile... their customer service is HORRIBLE. They cannot fix a simple problem of changing a phone number. And they deny access to a supervisor.

They STINK!

Collapse -

if u goging to choose between those too ONLY i would go with verizon because u get what u pay for when u compare verizon with t-mobile. verizon coverage is good. t-mobile is the worst chit lol t-mobile has change their name TWICE, their network suck badly they know nothing. u be getting conversation on ur phone or u dial someones number and someone else pick up lol DO NOT TRY T-MOBILE VOICESTREAM OMNIPOINT LOL all same. why u think they offer so much mins so cheap. and when u call to complaint of fix something the ans is k i will give 200mins lol problem never fix they will still give u free mins but u cant use it cause service suck lol i have sprintpcs love it just dont try to call customer service lol oh with sprintpcs if u switch roaming n ur phone it wont charge u as long u in united states territory including puerto rico .../canada/mexico/south america etc... u dont get charge.

Collapse -

I was with Verizon in the Chicago area for 4 years and the service and coverage areas were horrible. I lost so many calls I lost count; I think I was averaging a couple calls per week dropped. They will tell you your phone is outdated; they're just trying to get you to upgrade your phone because in a couple of months you'll have the same problem with your new phone. You'll constantly miss incoming calls because of the poor reception. Often, I would receive a message anywhere from 30 minutes to days after the call took place. Then, when I tried to leave recently, they charged me a rediculous cancellation charge of $425! I don't know anything about T-Mobile but I thought I would share my experiences with Verizon with you.

My current company is Nextel and while it might be pricy, it is well worth it for me as I haven't missed or dropped a single call yet through 4 months of service. You also may get discounts on the phone and rate plan through the company you work for. My plan is $50/month for unlimited nights/weekends and 1000 anytime minutes. Plus, they have good phones.

Collapse -

Verizon has consistently been rated best in customer service and have the best network. I know when I had AT&T it took ages to get a call go through because all systems were busy. Verizon's reception is a lot better too. The new phones are capable of web access, text w/ graphics, picture and video messaging, and downloadable games etc. I've never had t-mobile, they actually don't sell it in this part of the state, I don't know if it is the coverage or what, but there is no t-mobile or cingular.

Collapse -

There are markets where one of the nationwide services won't be in. I don't know which market you're in to where I could tell you based on coverage, if service is available in your area. Where I live, in Gary, IN, the only services that are in my area are: Verizon Wireless, Cingular Wireless, AT&T Wireless, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, and US Cellular. If I were in Michigan City, Lafayette, or Indianapolis, IN, then Centennial Wireless would also be a choice for me. When I go into Michigan, my phone roams on Alltel's network and parts of their network, especially around the state line is still analog, but 20 miles north into the state, I'll finally get a CDMA signal. Between T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless, I'd go with Verizon Wireless.

Collapse -

I work for AT&T Wireless and my first suggestion would be to call our customer service and see what they can give you if you stay. We have great "save" offers at this time (bonus minutes, discounts on phones ect..) If you really want to leave I would go with Cingular or Sprint. T-Mobile is iffy if you move and there is a reason they have great plans.. they have bad service! Verizon has great service, bad plans and SO MANY BILLING ERRORS!! My sister had them and we had to call every month for one issue or another. There is actually a class action law suit going on right now because they were overcharging people on their bills. Sprint has great phones available and fast data. Cingular is almost done purchasing AT&T and I would bet that a lot of the things you don't like about AT&T they will fix. You should find out who your friends and family have and take that service because your mobile to mobile will most likely be free.

Collapse -

At least from my experience, I haven't had any billing errors. My mom and sister always had lots of problems. Some months, their bill was wrong with Cingular, as well as lots of dropped calls, and they would shut off service, even after going to a Cingular Wireless owned store (not the authorized agent stores). It got to the point that they paid the early termination fee to get out of their contract with Cingular. they're now with Verizon Wireless and they like it better. My friend who has AT&T (TDMA) tried talking me into getting AT&T, but he's already talking about leaving them because he doesn't want to be a Cingular customer. And he said how great AT&T was, but he'd tell me he had lots of dropped calls, while I rarely have a dropped call with Verizon Wireless.

Collapse -

Verizon is the number one top rating

Collapse -

Hmm...a lot of mixed reviews here. Seems that T-mobile is the favored option, although I must disagree. I have had Verizon Wireless service for 2 years now, and have never had any dropped calls where I had a bar or more of signal strength. Their customer service, for me anyway, was and continues to be excellent. I get all my questions answered and then some in a very polite and friendly manner. When it comes to the whole GSM vs. CDMA, I haven't found any MAJOR differences in web speed and other related applications (using my Mom's T-mobile cell, compared to mine). In fact, the Get It Now app seems to be a whole lot faster than the T-zone app. Text messaging...ditto. But then again, reception is the most important thing right? After all, it is a PHONE. Compared to my mom's T-mobile Samsung V205, my older LG VX10 gets way better reception in the house...and we live near the mountains. So I'd say, go for Verizon Wireless.

Collapse -

If u havn't changed already. GO With Verizon. Best Coverage for the northwest. used in salem eugene valley bend etc, but best coverage overall is Verizon..

Our Daughter has and worked for T-Mobile godd svc in I-5 belt but uses our vzw phone when at coast and other areas. Good Luck.

Collapse -

Watch out for Verizon, there coverage is excellent right know but they will soon have to change to all GSM network, which t-mobile already is, and will lose coverage and customers. They curentlly operate on a tdma network, still with analog coverage which makes phone batteries suffer as well as functionability of the phone...

Collapse -

I agree with you Junior30...plan to maybe switch to T-Mobile myself. But just to let you know, Verizon would never switch to GSM...even though they should!! Also Verizon is on the "CDMA" band of 800, and can roam onto Sprint's 1900 band if necessary. Some phones still have AMPS options as well.

Collapse -

I have had Verizon for about 4 years... like you spent money.. and like you seemed to be content with re-signing with Verizon...
Now I am getting OUT.
Here is my short Saga.
First I did an e-z move in the middle of my last two year contract... so it took me a week to actually get the upgrade credit on my online account.
I ordered the V60s on 10/1. Thought the phone was nice, V60's tended to get good reviews...
On 10/9 I called because it had been a week... was told that I would have my phone on Tuesday 10/12. Called 10/13 and was told it was in process. Called 10/15 and was told that the order was cancelled due to an error and the rep reprocessed and was promised that I would have my phone by today 10/19. I called today when I had not received it and was told that "we're sorry" that phone is no longer offered by Verizon.
Was told that it would be a week before my credit would be back on my account.
In the Midst of all of this between 10/9 and 10/19 I also sent 4 emails in effort to avoid the forever hold times... and they did not even bother to respond to one of my emails.
Im fed up...
Verizon has probably lost a long term customer for good..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.