Phones forum

General discussion

T-Mobile International Calling

by mag90 / February 27, 2005 10:21 AM PST

Just switched from Sprint to T-Mobile in order to be able to use my phone abroad. Compared plans, service and options and ended up at T-Mobile.
But you're thinking of doing the same and it's for personal use, and not reimbursable as a business expense, BEWARE.

Sometimes it's the small stuff that can be the most annoying. In this case, SMS (text messages) are supposed to be $0.05 domestically or for incoming messages and $0.15 for international messages. I asked if that meant from abroad as well, and told yes. When I got my bill, it turns out that while roaming abroad, the SMSs are really $0.35. After searching the T-Mobile website for about 15 minutes, I finally found the 35 cent quote - about 150 messages later! (note: sending a simple "How've you been" to 10 people also counts as and is billed as 10 separate messages - which is fair.)

When I spoke to customer service on three occasions, they were intially very bubbly, professional and courteous, but seemed to have no clue about international charges other than what was on their computer screen scripted answer. Then when I noticed that while I was in Brussels and London, I had a mix of $0.15 and $0.35 charges. I asked if it had to do with incoming versus outgoing messages. The service rep's tone got impatient, telling me the cheaper message was transmitted from a NYC cell tower. I asked how that was possible if I was in Brussels, and she was audibly annoyed, saying it could only go through a NYC cell tower if my phone made contact. I pointed out that a message sent 4 hours later originated in Brussels and there was no way I could get between NYC and Belgium that fast, and there must be another reason for the pricing difference. She got fed up and submitted a Billing Research inquiry, letting me know if I was undercharged, I'd probably be re-billed the higher rate. All I was trying to do was figure out what messages are billed at what rate, so I don't run up a huge bill. $0.15/msg - OK; $0.35/msg - I'll send an e-mail, thank you very much.

But then around the same time, I was in the Dominican Republic, where the roaming charges are $1.99/min. (When I got the service, it was promoted as $0.99/min around the world. Not quite; in even advanced countries like Brazil, the roaming charges are as high as $2.99/min in Russia, it's $4.99/min.)
I tried calling my voicemail, but got a series of computer bleeps and tones (but not like a fax or modem), and the call never connected. Then the service provider, Orange Dominicana, rings back to my phone - 3 times. Same bleeps and clicks, but no intelligible sound. When I get the bill, somehow it's charged as $12. Small peanuts, right? But it adds up when it's on your own dime.

The frustrating part, is that roaming on T-Mobile Wireless IS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! They make no guarantees ($300 in phone bills later) about roaming service. They offer no rebate, credit or assistance with calls made (or not made but charged) on a roaming network. I tried to explain that as an individual, it would cost me more in international calling fees to call the provider (not to mention getting a Spanish interpreter) to explain the situation with no idea if they'd be able to cancel the roaming fees charged to T-Mobile and then charged back to me. It's getting kind of lame, at this point.

I mentioned to a supervisor, that while it's not T-Mobile's responsibility to guarantee call completion while roaming, since T-Mobile has already negotiated agreements with the foreign carriers, it should be easier for T-Mobile to be able to investigate interrupted, incomplete or erroneous calls. When I mentioned that T-Mobile surely wasn't being charged the full $2 they were charging me to roam, I asked if I could even receive a credit to get that roaming time at cost; no money lost for T-Mobile and a happeir customer. But it was way over her head. Yes, I'm expecting too much, but is it absurd to expect that I wouldn't have to pay for service that hasn't been provided? The fact that they don't "guarantee" calls on another carrier might be realistic, but poor business. As a Sprint PCS customer, if I had a dropped call (domestically), the automated customer support system could recognize the request and issue an immediate credit - no questions asked. Dropped call? Forty cent credit to my account, whether I used all my minutes or not.

The situation was made all the worse by the fact that I expected to be able to get the Treo 650 GSM phone in early January through T-Mobile. But as of late February, there's no sign they ever will, and talk of them foregoing the 650 in favor of a next model due out perhaps in the summer.

I thought it might be worth just swallowing the $250 end-your-contract fee and switching to Cingular to get the phone I want, more competent customer service and less aggregious fees while abroad. Then I looked at Cingular's fees, and Intl roaming starts at $1.29/min in Europe, and each international SMS costs $0.50.
The lesson of the story: globally speaking, cell phone service and useability lags significantly behind the available technology, and we seem to be stuck with what we got. Just beware if you're new to international roaming and it coming out of your own paycheck.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: T-Mobile International Calling
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: T-Mobile International Calling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by mag90 / February 27, 2005 10:24 AM PST

If anyone knows of a way to file a complaint with the FCC, it sounds like a good place to start, to try to get some changes to pricing policy. Are there reliable, full service carriers GSM carriers other than Cingular and T-Mobile?

Collapse -
by mag90 / February 27, 2005 10:30 AM PST

BTW - T-Mobile in the UK for anyone going to London has *nothing* to do with T-Mobile USA. The name's the same, but I had about 4 dropped calls from spotty reception in London, and T-Mobile USA could/would still do nothing about the charges.

Another item to note: if someone calls you while roaming abroad, even if you don't answer the call, since the other carrier's cell has contacted your phone, you still get hit with the roaming charge. If you let the call go to voicemail - even worse! You're then charged for the incoming call as well as for the call being transferred to voicemail.

However! Calling a cell phone in Europe from a payphone (or even worse, a hotel phone) in the very same city often costs above $3 a minute. EU governments are just now cracking down on the unfair practice.

Collapse -
International cell phone use
by nancymoon / March 7, 2005 10:18 PM PST

I know this is hard to believe but we do NOT have a cell phone...but we are moving to Ireland and then Italy for about a year. From all the problems I've been reading here, is it better to get the phone in Ireland and when we return for visits here, get a sim card for US use?

Collapse -
Ireland and Italy cell phone communication
by srobens / November 26, 2009 3:56 AM PST

It is an older post, but...someone else may have the same kind of question...

I would wait until I get to Ireland and buy a gsm phone and sim card. They are much cheaper than buying one before you leave the states.

Do not use a US provider, their cost is way too much for roaming.
When you get to Italy, get an Italian SIM card with a local number.
You can get one at: www.educellular.com

Collapse -
Cingular
by SMatthews / March 10, 2005 6:01 AM PST

Mag90, I do not think that Cingular is the answer for you. Seriously, look into all options before making that decision. I work day in and day out with Cingular/AT&T and have found that there is great turn over in customer service and no one knows what they are doing and packages even get shipped to the wrong address with the wrong name on it and that's with me spelling it all out every step of the way. Also, the gsm system is very volitale. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Also, Treo is very very hard to deal with when you have any problems...I have tried to get through on their line and I have sat on hold for hours with no answer, so you might want to look into another pda that is supported by a larger company that can help you with your needs right away. Hope this helps. It's not about the best company but whom is more tolerable.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?