General discussion

T-Mobile blocking twitter?

This is a copy of an email that I sent to rdotson@t-mobile.com related to the incident I just had tonight. The email explains the scenario but basically T-Mobile has taken it upon themselves to pick and chose which short code SMS works on their system and which don't. I am waiting to hear responses from the various sources I've contacted but I wanted to see if anyone else has any information regarding this.

Hello,

I am a very loyal T-Mobile customer and also a very loyal user of the Twitter service (http://www.twitter.com). For the last couple of days I have been unable to send messages to the twitter service (short code: 40404). I figured this was related to the SMS issues T-Mobile was having in the Washington D.C. area so I didnt think much of it... until tonight. I spoke with various people in T-Mobile's customer service and I was outraged when I finally got a response that made sense. From what I was told by the rep that I spoke with, T-Mobile does not support third party message services and sometimes I may be able to use them because of a bug in your system. I was then told that the t-mobile system caught up with the bug and that I shouldnt expect to be able to use the Twitter service any longer from T-Mobile. The rep I spoke with was EXTREMELY helpful and, if nothing else, she should be recognized on her outstanding customer service. For your reference, her ID is 3*****3. She did open a Voice Form with the ID of 0623630.

What is the most troubling about this entire situation is that I feel morally violated by T-Mobile and I feel that T-Mobile is going against Net Neutrality which I believe is essential to our electronic communications. I subscribe to an unlimited text messaging service and that product that I subscribe to does not carve out exceptions to certain destinations. What T-Mobile is telling me in relation to SMS is the same thing as if I was told that I could no longer call my grandmother because her phone number is on AT&T Wireless. This type of behavior is the exact opposite of why I chose to move my service to T-Mobile and, I must say, I have been extremely pleased with the service and the company... until this. Unfortunately, this issue is enough for me to decide to leave T-Mobile. It's not even the loss of being able to use Twitter that concerns me but the fact that T-Mobile is being deliberately misleading in their marketing and is telling me what I can and can't do with a service that I pay for. T-Mobile doesnt have the best coverage in the area that I live in but I am with T-Mobile because I always believed them to be a company with good morals. Finding out that what I believed about T-Mobile is false simply gives me no reason to stay with T-Mobile when I can have the same treatment from Verizon except that with them I get better coverage in the area I live.

I hope that this issue can be resolved without me having to leave T-Mobile but I am prepared to do that if I am not given a reason to believe that T-Mobile is still the great company that I once new.

Thank you very much,
R.M.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: T-Mobile blocking twitter?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: T-Mobile blocking twitter?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What the hell?

What possible reason do they have for this, it seems bizzare. I can't even see how this benefits them, you still pay for each message you send right?

- Collapse -
They want more money

From what I was told, T-Mobile wants Twitter to make a contract with them. My guess is that most people who use Twitter have an unlimited text messaging plan and they feel they should have a cut on all of those messages going through their system. If you use this logic, that would be why they don't care about all the short code SMS's to radio stations and other places - simply because it doesnt create the same amount of traffic. It's absolutely pathetic - especially from a company that I have always believed to be a good company. After this incident tho, they are certainly up there with Verizon in my book.

- Collapse -
T-mobile blocked my twitter messages, too

After sending a similar letter to T-mobile, their reply to me (a business account holder for over 5 yrs)was basically: "It's our choice, if you don't like it you can pay the $200 cancellation fee and go somewhere else."

I am floored. I have sent a reply asking if they can elaborate as to WHY they choose to block SMS messages to/from Twitter, and hope they take the time to candidly reply. But I smell corporate politics here and won't hold my breath.

- Collapse -
I got the same letter

A lot of people actually got the same exact letter explaining that twitter will no longer be accesible from T-Mobile.

- Collapse -
When I signed up

They said I could turn off all services that I did not specificly sign up for so that I could not access them (and get a suprise on my bill). Turns out that was all BS. They don't turn off services and when I did get a suprise on my bill they confirmed that they don't turn off services and you have to pay for what you use. That's nice but not what they sold me since my agreement was that I could not even access services that I didn't want.

Verizon did this for me and it worked great. Never a suprise.

- Collapse -
Its fixed

i have been with them since they were called voicestream and i have never had a problem with them and i started to have thei probel i thought it was my phone or twitter but not my beloved t-mobile, but it looks like they fix this problem that was happening and i hope it was just and outage on there side.

- Collapse -
Yes, its fixed.
- Collapse -
Here we go again?

For about the last 20mins or so my tweets have been bouncing again with the same message. Additionally, this time I'm not getting any tweets either. I've also confirmed this with another T-Mobile user and they are having the same issues (in a different state so it's not tower related).

Anyone else having these issues again?

- Collapse -
It gets even better
- Collapse -
Thank You, T-Mobile

CNET Forums

Forum Info