Speakeasy forum

General discussion

T Boone Pickens has an energy plan... and a web site.

IT'S TIME TO STOP AMERICA'S ADDICTION TO FOREIGN OIL America is in a hole and it's getting deeper every day. We import 70% of our oil at a cost of $700 billion a year - four times the annual cost of the Iraq war. I've been an oil man all my life, but this is one emergency we can't drill our way out of. But if we create a new renewable energy network, we can break our addiction to foreign oil.

interesting...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: T Boone Pickens has an energy plan... and a web site.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: T Boone Pickens has an energy plan... and a web site.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
He has long been a man of vision.

In reply to: T Boone Pickens has an energy plan... and a web site.

And a thorn in the side of those hell bent on on preaching that we can drill our way out.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
There are a few loose ends.

In reply to: He has long been a man of vision.

For starters, our entire transportation system is based on oil. How many years does it take to build his "windfarms", and retrofit the entire transportation system? What do we do between now and then? Can anyone spell;

D R I L L ?

Which is what it means to "drill our way out."

Collapse -
If it' ssuch a great idea....

In reply to: Build your own wind farm ?

Why does the Congress and President have to be involved? Why can't people/corporations or whatever just DO it? Pickens has plenty of money...let him do it without help from the government (taxpayers).

I feel another hand in my pocket.

Collapse -
Just how will a wind farm fill

In reply to: If it' ssuch a great idea....

the gas tank on my car?
Those magical electrical cars aren't here yet.

Collapse -
(NT) seen the GM Volt?

In reply to: Just how will a wind farm fill

Collapse -
Can you buy one yet?

In reply to: seen the GM Volt?

I'm all for it, if it's practical. But I see no reason for a Soviet style five year plan. Make a viable e product at a reasonable price and you'll sell gobs of them. All that's needed.

Collapse -
I saw him on the news...

I saw him on the news explaining it. As I get it, the wind turbines will take the place of the natural gas used for power generation. This gas will be used to power autos and would replace 1/3 of the oil we use for gasoline.
That said, something hits me. Those current imported barrels of crude supply gasoline, but they supply other things. After the gasoline is cracked off, the remainder of the barrel is used for all sorts of other products, like plastics. When replace those barrels of crude with natural gas, with what will we replace the things we get from the substances "leftover" when the gasoline is extracted? Just something that hit me right after I heard him.

Collapse -
Wondered the same thing

In reply to: I saw him on the news...

I also believe a lot of women's makeup items come largely from oil. It's gonna get rough when that stuff starts to get scarce. Shocked

Collapse -
Heh heh............

Hi "J",
I don't think he ever said we would overcome the use of oil entirely,
rather, his plan is to break the stranglehold our dependence upon foreign oil has created.

Collapse -
No, he didn't say...

In reply to: Heh heh............

No, he didn't say entirely. But he did say 30 percent, so I wondered about the substances other than gasoline we get from that 30 percent.

Collapse -
back to glass bottles

...and deposits. At least the kids will like it. It's how I supported my 12 cents DC comic book and Super Bubble gum habit in the early 60's.

Collapse -
Wind farm and the gas tank

According to his plan - Wind farms produce electrical power, thus
releasing natural gas, used for that purpose today, for use as a
transportation fuel.

Honda Civics are on the market today that run on natural gas.

His plan might not be the entire answer, but it is certainly more realistic
with a shorter time frame than anything else I've heard.

Collapse -
He's also running commercials on CNBC today.

In reply to: T Boone Pickens has an energy plan... and a web site.

In one he says, "we can't drill our way out of this". I think he should have said "won't".

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.