Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Systems slows down at 5 pm

Hi,
I have a Windows XP professional edition, on a Dell 500m inspiron. For some reason at 5 pm every evening, the system slows down considerably. I havent scheduled anything to be running at that hour. Is there something in particular that I need to check to find out the why this could be happening?

Any help on this would be appreciated.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Systems slows down at 5 pm
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Systems slows down at 5 pm
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just To Be Clear...

In reply to: Systems slows down at 5 pm

When you say that your system is slowing down, do you mean that open programs don't respond as quickly? Just want to be sure that you don't mean it's your internet access/web browsing.

What sort of antivirus/spyware programs are you running? Which other programs are you using at that time?

Collapse -
I agree, and

In reply to: Just To Be Clear...

if you are not talking about your internet connection, then you could check the Task Manager to see if any Process is taking up CPU usage.

To use the Task Manager right click the Task Bar and select Task Manager. When the Task Manager window displays, click Processes tab to display a list of running Processes. Make sure you can see the column for CPU. If you cannot, goto View > Select Columns, and select CPU Usage. Then click the CPU column header twice to list CPU usage in descending order.

It's best to open the Task Manager a few minutes before 5:00 and then watch to see what, if any, process begins to monopolize the cpu.

Post back your results if you decide to do this.

Mark

Collapse -
Systems going slow

In reply to: Just To Be Clear...

Thanks for your reply. No, its not the web browsing, but the programs that I have opened stops responding. Typically, I have Outlook, a couple of instances of IE opened.

Collapse -
Let us know how those scans go,

In reply to: Systems going slow

and what takes all the CPU usage in the Task Manager at these times.

What happens if, before 5:00, you close down Outlook, and IE? Is the computer performance still slow?

Mark

Collapse -
CPU usage

In reply to: Let us know how those scans go,

Hi Mark,
The CPU usage seems to be normal. There was an exe McSript_...exe that would run often at that point of time, which apparently is some McAfee stuff.

The system is goes slow even if I dont have the Outlook opened. I thought there may have been a SQL Job running, but nothing in the scheduler as well.

Collapse -
This might help

In reply to: CPU usage

A similar question was raised recently in the McAfee forums here;
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?p=522287

The expert there who gave advice is our fellow Moderator Grif Thomas, who moonshines in those forums as well, Happy

It's seems that the McScript.exe is the main suspect, and that might make sense in your own case.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Update

In reply to: This might help

Hi Mark,
I noticed that at 5pm McUpdate.exe started, but I immediately stopped it. And then, I stopped Outlook, Skype, Google talk.exe, but yet the system is slowing down. I am analysing the Task Manager, but not sure yet.

Collapse -
Could be that McAfee Updater

In reply to: Update

Do you have McAfee Anti-Virus installed on this computer? If so, McUpdate.exe could refer to McAfee's update scheduler.

The way to check that is to change the time the McAfee scheduler checks for updates, then see if you still have a system slowdown at 5:00pm, or whether any slowdown happens at the new time.

I assume this is McAfee checking for anti-virus definition updates and installing them, but even so, I would not have expected any significant slowdown.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.