Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

SystemRestore..Virus Scans?

by SumerBrez / November 26, 2004 7:48 AM PST

When doing a Full System Scan,,, do "Virus Programs" scan System Restore?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SystemRestore..Virus Scans?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SystemRestore..Virus Scans?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SystemRestore..Virus Scans?
by roddy32 / November 26, 2004 8:06 AM PST

They can't fix anything in there Sumer which is the reason why people are told to disable system restore after they fix a spyware or virus problem and then to reenable it which clears the System restore files of any virus or spyware that have been stored in there in case you ever need to use it. Unless you change the options on it, XP creates restore points once every 24 hours by itself, especially when you download thing or make large changes.

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / November 26, 2004 1:14 PM PST

Nice to know that..Learned something else..Thanks roddy.
If i made a Restore Point myself back weeks ago when istalling SP2, does this 24hrs thing change the one i made? I didnt change anything in Options.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 26, 2004 8:10 PM PST

No Sumer, it doesn't change anything. You can make a manual retore point any time you like. Restore points DO take up a lot of space though so occasionally you should clear the old ones which you can do on the "More" tab on "disk cleanup". There is an option on that tab you clean up all but the last restore point. I'm pretty sure that XP cleans them automatically when they are 30 days old.

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / November 27, 2004 1:37 AM PST

Ok..Thank you kind sir..*S*..On my way to clean that mess out..hmmm wondering could this maybe be the cause or part of the cause my PC was slowing down and acting "stupid"? lol.. I just left the thing alone,dealt with with it,gave me a chance to practice my "patience and tolerance" and another learning lesson also lol..kept in mind what you said about my IS and "dataflow" read some about it and said would fix itself and all of a sudden when i connected to internet, PC was back to normal flying again,no more troubles (sent you Email all about it.)I always thought was a ghost roaming about in this PC anyway lol..They are surely here in this old farm house.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 27, 2004 1:48 AM PST

That could have been part of your problem. I assume that you clean temporary internet files and history often too? I have received 2 e-mails (through CNET) from you and responded to both (through CNET). Didn't you get them? I even included my regular e-mail address in the first one because I didn't want to post it here. LOL

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / November 27, 2004 2:22 AM PST

NO..I havent received any emails from you..How do i check in CNET for them..My email address listed here is correct.Can you send again without going thru Cnet? Need to know its working ok.
Thanks.
All that comes up in "Disk Cleanup" is TIF and see nothing there thats related to the "System Restore" i made.
Yes i cleanout TIF and History often.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 27, 2004 2:41 AM PST

I am sending them the same way that you sent them to me, clicking on your name and sending them through the "e-mail member" thingy. They should have gone to you right away unless the e-mail address that you have on file with CNET is wrong.

When you click on disk cleanup, after it does it;'s thing about checking tio see how much space you will gain and the window pops up, there is a tab on top that says "more Options". If you click on that , the bottom thing says "system restore". Click on the cleanup button.

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / November 27, 2004 3:33 AM PST

Checked again..Email address is Correct here..
Before i do disk cleanup,something i need to check on first..In my "TEMP" FOLDER: listed in a yellow folder/Content/.IE5 (have installed and use IE6)
History/yellow folder-IE5 when i click it says: Dat File
theres a lot of blue and white icon like items, which are: XLM,VGX,IMT and Zad.Is it OK to Delete these out?

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 27, 2004 4:30 AM PST

I never bother to go into the folders to delete stuff. Space is not a problem on this computer. I do disk cleanup (including system restore points), plus I go to IE/tools/options/general and I click on "delete files" under the temporary internet files section, when the popup comes up asking if I want to delete all locally stored offline content, I click yes, then I click on "clear history". I do all that about once a day.

I answered your e-mail a few minutes ago. I have no clue as you why you weren't getting the CNET messages.

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / November 27, 2004 4:45 AM PST

Thanks roddy..Thats the way i do it also and daily.
will take care of it now..just wanted to ask about those other things first..

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 27, 2004 4:52 AM PST

You're welcome and I wish i could answer that but I never go into those folders so I don't know what is left after you delete files.

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / November 27, 2004 8:16 AM PST

All Done..Thanks.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Sumer :D
by roddy32 / November 27, 2004 8:18 AM PST
Collapse -
by JohnFWil / November 27, 2004 8:00 AM PST

Hi SumerBrez,
Just remember that your most recent system restore point should be one that makes your system work well. Once you dump all your acculmated restore points you do not get a second chance, at that point you have no option but to re-install your operating system and all programs unless you have a ghost or acronis image made prior to problems,still it is no biggie to reinstall the OS. I usually dump restore points monthly or right after new programs installation if all is well. Seems like a lot of work but it isn't really just a few mouse clicks,well worth the clicking as it keeps probs at a minimum.

Collapse -
by rileyt / November 27, 2004 6:11 AM PST

I use the free version of avg antivirus which is available from www.grisoft.com
This av prog certainly scans system restore files. it is updated weekly (unlike macafee and norton), scans incoming and outgoing e mails, alerts me to suspect downloads and is user friendly. I recommend it. I have used AVG for three years and have never had a virus attack!!

Regards

Tony

Collapse -
by dawillie / November 26, 2004 11:35 AM PST

when you set the AV to do a full system scan it scans ALL files and directories EXCEPT System Restore.

All files include the so called 'hidden files'.

System Restore is a screen shot of a complete configuration on your HDD.

if you use it to 'restore' your PC it takes it back the the date specified when a restore point was created.

Collapse -
by phil66 / November 27, 2004 8:24 AM PST

David
Why does avg 7.0 show on the scanning screen that system restore files are being scanned??
Ray

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!