Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Systemdisc

Hello! I?ve got a problem starting up XP. A message tells me it can?t find the OP. At the same time the discdrive keeps making the sound of searching for a disk. I?d like to try to put in a backup systemdisc and see if it will start from it.
The problem is that I cant find any instructions how to make one. Do you know?

/Daniel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Systemdisc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Systemdisc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
With the limited information you supplied....

In reply to: Systemdisc

I can only guess that the computer has lost its ability to boot from the hard drive and is looking for either a floppy or CD from which to boot. Your inital course of action is to boot from your XP cd, and choose a repair install or use of the Recovery Console.

Note that all data not saved to an external media is now in danger of being lost. Below is a link regarding multiple ways of repairing XP:

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Collapse -
Re: Systemdisc

In reply to: Systemdisc

Firstly make sure in your bios that you are booting from your hard disk first and your CD or floopy second.
If your bios is set to boot from your hard disk and you still get the same problem then it sounds like you may have hard disk problems. while you are in the bios have a look to see if your hard disk is being recognised. If your hard disk is not being recognised in your bios it indicates problems with the hard disk or its connections - if so get back to me.
but if your HD is being reconised then it maybe just a corrupt boot sector or a missing systems file which can be fix.
There is many ways to fix these problem but the simplest in your case would be to pit your winxp instalation disk in your CDROM - just put the CD in and reboot and it will have a look at your system and hopefully diagnose the problem and offer you some solutions - try this first. If you dont boot into your CD you may have to go back to your bios and change things so that you boot to your CDROM first
Peter

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.