Desktops forum

General discussion

Systemax PC through AOL

by dave1973 / March 27, 2005 5:48 PM PST

Has anyone bought the Systemax PC through AOL? How is it in performance, being billed to you, and service? I've been debating on whether to buy the computer, or look elsewhere. I'm also looking at a Compaq computer at Meijer in Indiana. Don't tell me to go with Dell because most people I know don't like Dell computers. I work on a Dell computer at work and don't like the configuration of it (not at the employer end, but at the Dell end). The old Gateway computers operate better (when Gateway made good computers) than the new Dell computers.
I'm aware of the condition that I have to pay $23.90 a month for 1 year to own the computer, and willing to deal with it as I already have AOL.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Systemax PC through AOL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Systemax PC through AOL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Systemax PC through AOL
by jcrobso / March 28, 2005 12:12 AM PST

You didn't give any specs on the PC, does this amount include a monitor? Your total payment will be $288
There is a FRY's Electronics stote that just opened in Fisher Indiana, see what you can get for $288 there and compaire. John

Collapse -
Systemax PC through AOL
by dave1973 / March 28, 2005 10:37 AM PST

The computer comes with a configured 40GB hard drive, 256MB DDR memory, CD-Rom drive, floppy drive, Windows XP Home Edition, AOL software, 56k internal modem, USB 2.0 ports (both front & back), and other features on the computer itself. Details are at .
The price comes with the computer, 17" CRT monitor, and a Lexmark printer. With no upgrades, the cost (minus S&H and any sales tax) is $299.97. The catch is you must have a one year subscription to AOL at $23.90 a month. I already have AOL, so it wouldn't be a big deal. I've had AOL since October 20, 1998. As for Fry's Electrronics, I've looked there at a computer they advertised at $279, that only came with 128MB memory. I don't know which route I'm going yet, but whether I get the computer through AOL or Frys, I need to get a DVD burner, and I saw a DVD burner at Fry's that also has a 4 slot card reader built into the DVD burner. Something I need since both PC's don't have that feature.

Collapse -
Systemax PC through AOL
by jcrobso / March 28, 2005 11:39 PM PST

Ok, now you have done some shopping and know what you you can get for the money on the outside. The only thing you didn't list was the processor, which I assume is a Celron.
Just make sure that AOL deal dosen't say FOR NEW CUSTOMES ONLY. John

Collapse -
Systemax PC through AOL
by dave1973 / March 29, 2005 3:39 AM PST

It is a Celeron processor, 2.4GHZ on the Systemax, with the option of upgrading to 2.8GHZ, but the upgrade also involves upgrading to an 80GB harddrive. I don't need that big of a drive. As for the price, it's for both new and existing customers. I also saw that for those with the BYOA plan, they have to upgrade to the regular access plan in order to get the computer. I just wished someone on this board could give their feedback on this offer, who actually took advantage of the offer.

Collapse -
what a bunch of tricksters
by rockon1569 / March 29, 2005 8:20 AM PST

lol if you already have AOL why spend $564(288+23x12) on a computer that is very low in features? I would look else wear, you can find a whole lot better computer elsewhere.

Collapse -
what a bunch of tricksters
by dave1973 / March 29, 2005 10:17 AM PST

I haven't made up my mind on what computer I'll get. I however will say that I don't need a computer for gaming, as I don't really play games on the computer. I use it mainly for internet and occasionally Microsoft Word & Excel, plus Wordperfect. Unfortunately, both programs have to be upgraded as they were created to work on Windows 95 & 98, and won't work on XP, unless it was made in the last 2-3 years, and both programs were purchased in 1998.
Don't tell me to get Dell because I don't like the way their computers are configured, even when custom built.
If I had the money, I would go the route of building it myself. At least I could get the computer I want, with an AMD processor.

Collapse -
well then
by rockon1569 / March 29, 2005 11:03 AM PST

I have a Compaq that I bought at Christmas time. It came with:

AMD Sempron 3000+
2.00 GHz, 512MB RAM
120GB Harddrive
Windows XP Home
17inch FLAT CRT Moniter
9-1 Memory card reader

now this was in the 600-700 dollar range, I forget the excact price after taxes and whatnot. I do know it was no less than 700.00. But I saw one the other day at Walmart or something, same type, less features I think it had 80GB, and 256MB RAM, stuff you can easily upgrade if needed. I beleive the price was 460-480. My model number is SR1215CL. So it would be something like that.

Collapse -
advice on Systemax pc
by paul68 / April 29, 2005 6:48 AM PDT

Possibly I can be of help. I bought the Systemax aol about 2 months ago. This is my first pc, so I have no experience at all. Got it for school mainly--term papers and such. I don't think you will find a better deal for $300. No rebates or hidden cost, except joing aol. I added a cd burner myself for $50. sNow I have th cdrom, cdrw, and the floppy disk. Also free is spyware, firewall, and virus scan. The sun wordprocessor works fine. It has system restore, which comes in handy. Auto backup too. With the cdrw it has everything i need. The only comprable pc's cost about $450. to $500. there isn't a better deal. Wish I was helpful. Paul.

Collapse -
Systemax PC through AOL
by jcrobso / March 29, 2005 11:26 PM PST

Check out some of the other posts in this fourm, there are refferences to eMachines as bening a decent low cost PC. John

Collapse -
Didn't buy this PC
by dave1973 / April 7, 2005 12:01 PM PDT

I never heard from anyone about this computer if it was a good one or not. I ended up buying a refurbished Compaq Presario from It costed me $699.99 for the computer and 17" flat panel monitor. It has an AMD Athlon 2.4GHZ processor, 512MB memory, 250GB hard drive, a DVD/CD-Rom drive that burns discs as well as a CD-Rom read only drive, a card reader that reads 9 memory cards, and many other features. With shipping and Indiana sales tax (since there's a store in Indiana) at 6%, it came to around $840. I should say the price also included purchasing the annual membership since I let my original membership expire. The one time fee of $45 was worth it rather than pay a 5% surcharge everytime I want to shop on

Collapse -
sounds like..
by rockon1569 / April 7, 2005 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Didn't buy this PC

a pretty nice computer. Im not a expert on prices so I couldn't tell you if it was a good buy or not. Im a compaq fan, so happy for ya.

Collapse -
by cv4stm / April 29, 2005 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: sounds like..

not to rain on ur parade, but I think u could have gotten a better deal for that cash...The Emachines T6212 is cheaper and would have been a better option for the future

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?