Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System won't complete AV scan plus other weirdness

by warpspasm / April 8, 2007 9:33 AM PDT

I don't think this is a virus problem, but who knows.

I use V-Com Fix It as my suite to handle system maintenance including antivirus protection. When I try to run a scan, it goes through memory scan fine and starts working on the actual files. At some point it chokes on a file and the system starts acting strangely. The icons in the taskbar either disappear or duplicate, but when I run the cursor over them they usually disappear. If I try to launch a program I'm given various error messages like it's a bad image or not a valid system 32 file. The only solution is to reboot and that can usually only be accomplished by hitting the reset button on the case. (After posting this message, I'm going to do it again and post more of the messages I get) My CounterSpy programs scans fine, with no suspicious problems. I got Karsperky's online virus scanner to run and it didn't find anything suspicious either.

I think the problem surfaced shortly after installing .NET Framework, but I'm not sure that's the problem. I've tried uninstalling .NET Framework, re-installing version 2.0, but the same problem occurs. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Fix It. I've tried using MSCONFIG to do a diagnostic boot with no mandatory service running, but still had the problem.

The problem has also happened on its own without the virus scanner running. The autofile scan was probably running in the background though. The PC had been sitting for a few hours.

I REALLY don't want to do a complete reinstall of XP if I don't have to. So, I'm hoping somebody here can come up with some other stuff to try.

I'm running XP SP2, Fix It 7, CounterSpy 2, Kerio Personal Firewall.

YIKES. I was just trying to launch CounterSpy and the problem just started and changed the font I'm using to type this message. HELP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System won't complete AV scan plus other weirdness
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System won't complete AV scan plus other weirdness
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Back after that reboot.
by warpspasm / April 8, 2007 10:11 AM PDT

That weird font thing happened one other time while I was on the Internet. The font looks like it could be some cartoon font.

Okay, before I did my mandatory reboot after posting that last message I got an error that said:

"The exception unknown exception (0x0eedfade)occured in the application at location 0x7c812a5b"

I don't know if that helps, but you never know.

Collapse -
your problem
by azshadow / April 9, 2007 12:52 AM PDT

I believe you have a spyware problem, try booting in safemode F8 as sys startup, select safemode with networking, then make sure your spyware detector is updated, run scan.
also if that dont work, download ccleaner from ccleaner.com-freeware it cleans temp files from sys and also has a registry checker.
you might want to use a better spyware checker, like spyware doctor.
one of best on market, get from pc tools.com also has virus detection built into it-well worth the money-will find spyware AVG wont.

PS: I know this can help, make sure you have all of microsoft updates

Collapse -
And the hardware angle.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2007 12:59 AM PDT

If I saw this machine I might remove the cover, dust it out, leave the cover off and retest. I'd look to see the internal and other fans are working during the test.

Bob

Collapse -
Hardware, hmmmmm. . . .
by warpspasm / April 9, 2007 1:33 AM PDT

You know, I didn't think to check for a hardware issue. But why would it happen mostly during virus scans? Because of the heat generated by the drive access?

Collapse -
And the CPU works harder too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2007 1:41 AM PDT

If the machine doesn't get it's yearly cleaning...

Collapse -
Not a dust bunny issue
by warpspasm / April 9, 2007 11:42 AM PDT

Well, I tried blowing out the dust and leaving the cover off, but still had the same problem. I'm staring to get frustrated. I can usually figure this stuff out. I wonder if it could be a power supply issue. I have a good power supply though. It's an Antec True 430, so it's not a piece of junk.

Maybe I should do an XP repair. The problem is, I have to uninstall SP2 before I can do it because my XP disc is SP1. I think if I do a repair my programs will still all work without having to reinstall them. I hope so.

Hopefully, somebody can give me something else to try before I do it.

Collapse -
Ok, share some details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2007 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Not a dust bunny issue

So far I'm left to guess and guess badly. Tell at least what's in those words in red plus maybe what you find in the EVENT VIEWER after a crash. Small details such as IDE cable type, what driver versions you use, etc. could lead to ideas.

Bob

Collapse -
I think it's Fix-It Utilities 7
by warpspasm / April 12, 2007 4:51 AM PDT

Sorry to take so long getting back, but I've been trying a ton of different stuff. I think the problem may be related to Fix-It Utilities 7 from V-Com, but I'm not positive yet. That's the anti-virus program that would run and choke on certain files (it now chokes on _default.pif). After shutting down all the unnecessary services using services.msc and then adding them one at a time, I think Fix-It is not playing nicely with the other boys. I think it might be the mxtask service. At least that's how I'm leaning at the momement. Still more observation to be done however.

Collapse -
Might Not be Fix-It
by warpspasm / April 13, 2007 2:09 AM PDT

Unless Fix-It hosed something else in the system, it might not be the culprit. I had not traces of it running, downloaded and installed BitDefender Trial and when I ran it, it choked too. I have however been able to run online scans from BitDefender, Panda and Kapersky. All of which returned a result of no malware.

Collapse -
Link and comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2007 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Might Not be Fix-It
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~rickhgtx/outbak6.htm#topic4

C:\VCOM\MXCYCLE or other directories may have to be ignored for other than VCOM scanners to finish. This issue is widely noted but I decline to offer more than one user's comment about it.

Bob
Collapse -
No description of fix
by warpspasm / April 13, 2007 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Link and comment.

Thanks, but the article with the fix you listed is for version 5.0 and the guy who wrote it said it didn't work for him. He mentions he finally got a response from VCOM on how to fix his version 6.0, but he never states what they said. I have version 7.0 so it might be different too. I did a google search on C:\VCOM\MXCYCLE and didn't come up with much. If I can find how to get rid of it I'll see if that does the trick and post here.

Collapse -
I didn't share a fix either.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2007 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: No description of fix

I only noted to ignore the directories the scanner gets hung on. I also declined to note other articles about this issue. Sorry but I was just trying to share that it is known about (this issue) and that with some digging you may find workarounds.

I know of no cure.

Bob

Collapse -
Time to redo drive
by warpspasm / April 13, 2007 10:36 PM PDT

I'm tired of fooling around with it. I think it's time to reformat and start from scratch. I haven't done that in about 9 months anyway, so it will probably be a good thing all around.

Collapse -
You Might Want to See if Any Friends Have ....
by tobeach / April 14, 2007 3:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Time to redo drive

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!