HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System will not do "SEARCH"

by susan_corby / October 29, 2004 2:11 AM PDT

I'm running WindowsME, and my system will not do a "SEARCH" and will not defrag. When I run defrag, I get the message "defrag has restarted 10 times...." and it never progresses. Can someone tell me why this might be happening and what I can do to correct this problem??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System will not do "SEARCH"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System will not do "SEARCH"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: System will not do "SEARCH"
by aln1215 / November 14, 2004 2:14 AM PST

Susan your posting caught my attentioin cause I too am having Search problems.
Your Posting actually sounds like two problems:
Won't Defrag
First off how long are you letting it run? A certain amount of restarting is normal. Try exiting out of everything (screen savers etc.) before running the derfrag. Check your System Tray. Right click everything down there and exiting anything that gives you the option.Still getting the "Restarted 10 times..." message? You are telling it to continue right?
Defrag still not completing? Try booting in Safe Mode then defragging. If this works, reboot when it finishes and the defrag in regular mode.
If none of the above works you may need to get a third party utility such as Norton Utilities or Norton System Works (includes antivirus). I've had PCs that would not run the Windows defrag utility but when I added Norton's Utilities those defragged fine.

The alternative is to reformat and reinstall everything but that's amajor headache! And hours of work.

As for the Search issue
I reinstalled Windows ME on an HP ... Everything works but when I go to the Search tool (Start / Seach) it opens and everything looks OK with NO errors but when I put something in the window that I want the system to find and then click search nothing happens!
Is this what you are experiencing? I've been looking through the forums for anyone else with this sort of problem but nothing yet ... I may end up having to reinstall Windows ME to get the Search feature working again. Not sure I want to go through the hassle just to restore Search.

M

Collapse -
Re: System will not do "SEARCH"
by TONI H / November 14, 2004 2:32 AM PST

Windows defaults in the SEARCH (look in: box) to My Documents rather than the C: drive and all other partitions you might have. You are forced to use the down arrow in the LOOK IN: box to change it yourself.....otherwise it will only look in the My Documents folder and you'll never find a darned thing on the computer.

Also, make sure that you click the Advanced button and put a check mark in 'search in sub folders' as well.

As for the 'restarting 10 times error'.....switch your screensaver to NONE temporarily, then shut down all programs running in the background prior to running SCANDISK (do this first before running defrag) and then run DEFRAG.

Some tips......

This not only helps you run Scandisk/Defrag in normal mode easier but it also helps to clean up the excess garbage floating around that these programs don't need to scan or defrag anyhow. You can skip all of this if you want to and just run your scandisk and defrag from safemode if that's all you want.

These may seem long and complicated, but quite a few of these things won't pertain to your personal system and installations...you'll know which ones you don't have to do.

First make sure that you have emptied all TEMP folders (C:\TEMP C:\TMP and C:\Windows\TEMP) You probably don't have the first two so if you don't, it's ok.

Second, open Scandisk and click Advanced and put check marks in the following:

Notify you only if errors are found
Replace Log
Delete Cross-Linked Files
Free File Fragments
Check for Invalid Names,Dates,Times
Check Host first

Put a check in AutoFix Errors (most errors will come from the Temp.Int.Files folder so by checking this, you won't be notified of any errors individually that it finds, but if you clear that cache ahead of time in IE/Properties\Delete files on the Temp.Int.Files area, you can leave this box unchecked so that any other errors it finds will open a window giving you options of what to do with the errors..such as Repair,Delete, or Ignore and Ignore is about the stupidest one I've seen)

Empty the Recycle Bin...no need to Scandisk and Defrag this, especially if it has lots of files in it still that you have removed and forgotten about.

If you have MSOffice or any of its programs installed, you should (my opinion) also stop FindFast from running completely. It 'hits' your harddrive every couple of minutes searching all drives and partitions uselessly so that it can be 'ready' just in case you decide to open an Office program. This interferes badly with your system speed and also with Scandisk and Defrag. I don't know anybody who keeps this program around for long once they realize how useless it is. Go to Start\Programs\Startup and delete the icons (black) that are there for FindFast. Now go to Control Panel\FindFast and open it up and click Edit, click Delete Indexing for each drive and partition listed in the white box below it. That will stop the entire program from running.

Now close all running programs using CTRL-ALT and the DEL key (press the DEL key only once to get the menu) except Explorer and Systray. (There is a free program at http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,s%253D1478%2526a%253D10165,00.asp called EndItAll that will do this for you and is highly recommended...the pcmag link is to version 2 and is more complicated to configure for a newbie than Version 1 listed below)

EnditAll Version 1
http://www.genealogy.net.nz/id12.htm
http://www.compu-docs.com/links.htm
http://www.asktcl.com/free.htm

And also choose NONE for a screensaver until Scandisk and Defrag have been run successfully.

Now run the program...If you have had many File000.chk files building up in the C: root it will remove them giving you much harddrive space that was being used up with those files.

Once Scandisk has been run and is error free, open Defrag and click Settings. Take the check mark out of "re-arrange my files" and make sure there is a check mark in "every time I run this program". This will stop Defrag from putting all of the MS programs at the front of the defragged harddrive...which takes alot of time to run if you have many MS programs installed on your system. The program actually gets faster as it does this because it is remembering where the files were when it last ran, but it takes at least 20 times of running Defrag before you would notice any difference in the speed, so it could conceivably take all day and night to defrag a very large harddrive that isn't partitioned, so most people turn off this 'feature'.

Now run Defrag.

If this doesn't work for you and you still can't scandisk or defrag in normal windows mode, reboot the computer, press F8 a couple of times after the first bootscreen leaves, and choose Safemode from the menu. Now run scandisk and defrag from safemode instead.

TONI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.