Computer Help forum

General discussion

system tries to find drivers for a wierd component

by wood53 / July 20, 2006 10:38 PM PDT

I have a Compaq Presario laptop (model 2129CL) that is having a weird problem with a Trendnet wireless card (TEW-441PC, PC-Card). I had to reload XP and now whenever I reboot it finds new hardware and tries to find the drivers for MTD-002?!??!?. When I cancel out of it and let XP finish booting up, the only thing out of the ordinary is the wireless card is nowhere to be found. I can remove the wireless card and plug it back in then XP see it just fine. Any ideas? One more thing, and I'm guessing this is somehow related... XP locks up when I boot up after hibernating. The above symptom is when it comes up from full reboot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (BTW, I did install all the patches to XP and loaded the latest Presario 2100 drivers. I also flashed a BIOS update to fix a fan problem.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: system tries to find drivers for a wierd component
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: system tries to find drivers for a wierd component
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That hardware....
by GeeBee / July 21, 2006 12:20 AM PDT

...is likely the PCMCIA slot that the Wireless card is plugged into. As you don't let Windows finish finding or installing the driver for the slot, any card currently plugged into it won't appear.

When you then remove the card, and re-instert, Windows will load the drivers automatically, and the card magically appears.

As far as locking up after hibernating. You have to tell the OS and hardware how to wake up out of hibernation first. Otherwise once it hibernates it can be a problem waking it back up. Usually in systems that haven't had this set by the user (Power Options in the Control Panel and PC's BIOS) a quick press of the power switch wakes the system back up, although again this is hardware dependant.

Good luck,

GeeBee.

Collapse -
Re: weird device
by Kees Bakker / July 21, 2006 4:52 AM PDT

Just four quesutions/remarks.

What does Device Manager say about this device (1) immediately after the boot, and (2) after you unplug and replug the wireless card?

You can try to disable the device (in the current hardware profile, that's to say). It won't be detected then as new hardware. But if geebee is right there's a good chance that the wireless card won't work at all. Undo it then.

It seems you forgot to install some driver after the reload of Windows XP. Windows doesn't do it for you automatically. Did you use all driver CD's and diskettes that came with the computer?

Better run Belarc Advisor before reinstalling so you've got all details of your system on paper.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by wood53 / July 21, 2006 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: weird device

Thanks for the replies. Under Device Manager, immediately after a reboot, the PCMCIA driver is not there and neither is the wireless card. MTD-0002 is listed as unknown hardware. I uninstalled that and did a scan for new hardware and it did the same thing. It tried to find drivers for MTD-0002. I then removed the card and reinstalled it and, sure enough the PCMCIA and wireless both show upnow under Device Manager.

This confirmed that it does have something with the PCMCIA slot. There are no PCMCIA or PC-CARD drivers listed on HP's website for this model laptop. I had already loaded every drivers that was available from HP.
If I figure it out, I will post a update to this message. Thanks!

Collapse -
PCMCIA drivers are standard...
by GeeBee / July 25, 2006 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

...and are already contained in Windows XP. Your system already has them loaded too, otherwise unplugging and plugging the card into the slot wouldn't have any effect.

You can manually install drivers (they are most often located in the hidden ''INF'' folder, inside Windows which might be best to unhide first : Windows Explorer > Tools menu > Folder Options > View tab > ''Show Hidden Files and Folders'' = Dot/On > OK), when the hardware is not listed! Wink

Here's how to manually find and install any and all drivers when Winblows autodetect doesn't work :

1) Control Panel.
2) Add Hardware.
3) wizard pops open, click ''Next'' and let it do a cursory system search.
4) If it finds a device you can either let it try to find the drivers again (it might work eventually!) alternatively you can click ''Cancel'' (I'm guessing a bit at this stage, as all my hardware is working) and proceed to 5....I think.
5) ''Is hardware connected'' window hopefully opens at this stage. Choose ''Yes I have connected the Hardware'', and click ''Next''.
6) ''The following hardware is already installed on your computer'' dialog appears, and a list of devices shown. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the list, and choose : ''Add new hardware'', then click ''Next''.
7) DO NOT let the ''Wizard'' dialogue ''search for and install hardware automatically'' (this would be the same as step 4 or when windows boots up, and has already failed). Choose ''Install the hardware that I manually select...(Advanced)'', and click ''Next''.
Cool A new dialogue ''From the list below, select the type of hardware...'' appears. ''PCMCIA Adaptor'' is about half way down. Choose it and click ''Next'' (I hope this works! lol)
9) You'll now see a driver list of manufacturers and models. Choose ''Compaq'' and click ''Next''
10) If it asks where the drivers are located, browse to the INF folder in windows (you can't do that if it was hidden) and contiune ownards...
10) A new window opens confirming your hardware choice, click ''Next'' to manually install the driver.
11) A confirmation dialogue will appear to advise that the driver has been installed, and whether it's working.

If things go according to plan, the driver will be installed and the hardware should magically appear in the Device Manager. Exit Windows and power down the PC, then power up to confirm whether this has fixed the Winblows boot up autodetect failure. If it works, you're the new bearer of the ''manually adding hardware drivers'' skill! Happy

Good luck,

GB.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.