Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System tray icons sometimes swap themselves..

by Fred_ME47 / January 29, 2009 3:58 PM PST

Gateway, WinMe, IE Version 6,

I only have 2 system tray icons at startup...Avast Anti-Virus and Zone Alarm Free (version 6.1.744.1).

I've had this computer for 7.5 yrs now. I guess I should read up on startup, but...Why do the 2 icons sometimes swap places?

The only time this happens is when I go to chat room(s), and the other issue is when I reboot or restart the next day, I'll get the error dialog box that says:

"ZClient has caused an error and will now close"

I imagine it must be because chat rooms aren't the safest?

Well Thanks
Fred

Don't know if this matters but this is what I have loading at startup under MSCONFIG:

scan registry, zonelabs client, avast websv.exe, avast ashserv.exe, state mgr, true vector, and tweak UI--which if always loads even if I uncheck box.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System tray icons sometimes swap themselves..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System tray icons sometimes swap themselves..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Undefined behaviour of Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 9:42 PM PST

Good question but even changing a system you install to one machine such as a P4 to a P4 HT can result in changes like that.

Did you want to dive into a computer science discussion about race conditions, packet delay, and how the whole thing works because we would have to sketch out the entire Windows OS, DOS, toss in some history and then some Computer Science about computer architecture and more.

Let's chalk this up to it will happen.
Bob

PS. I see a note about ZClient. Be sure to google that error message.

Collapse -
1st, Thanks for reply, 2nd, What a attitude...
by Fred_ME47 / January 30, 2009 5:39 AM PST

"Good question but even changing a system you install to one machine such as a P4 to a P4 HT can result in changes like that."

Well, if You say so...but I think We both know the real answer...

Your 2nd paragraph was really uncalled for..just because You have the knowledge..."attitude" should really be left at home.

"Let's chalk this up to it will happen."

Like I said in My post, well.....nevermind, not worth it

At least You did take some time out to answer, so that's cool.

And, Yes, I have googled, no luck, same at ZoneLabs forum, no luck, but thanks for the tip.

Fred

Collapse -
Sorry if it seemed that way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 5:41 AM PST

The problem is how to condense all that we'd have to cover into one or two paragraphs. I took the time to give a quick overview about the areas we'd have to discuss and you took offense.

My apologies.
Bob

Collapse -
About zone alarm.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 5:46 AM PST

While we love ZA for blocking outgoing attempts the brutal truth is no one is supporting or fixing up ZA for Windows ME. Add the fact there is no known exploit if we put Windows ME up on the internet. That is unless the owner does something odd like turn on file sharing on their internet connection.

Given this issue is squarely ZoneLabs you'll have to keep asking the right people and place. My reply is more to get started over what we would have to cover to understand how this beastly OS works.
Bob

Collapse -
It's Ok, thanks
by Fred_ME47 / January 30, 2009 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: About zone alarm.

I've googled both issues...icons swapping, and zclient, never found a straight or good answer. I know WinME is very bad to many, etc..

The icon swapping issue isn't really a big deal, was just curious as to why...usually when that happens I go to GRC.com and do the "firewall test" (Shields Up?). All turns out stealth.

Must be My Bipolar illness acting up, making Me....well anyway.

Thanks for Your time, much appreciated, Have a great day/eve.
Fred

Collapse -
I have noticed ZoneAlarm doing that on mine
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 30, 2009 7:45 AM PST

Windows XP Pro.

The newer version of ZA has just started doing this on my machine. The System tray begins to populate when I turn on the computer and Windows loads, and if the ZA icon is anywhere near the right hand side, it will 'swap' places with the next icon to its left, until it reaches the LHS of the System tray.

Personally I think it has intelligence, and just wants to be near me. Happy

However, I don't know about Avast and ZA swapping places. If the Avast developers have decided to program in the same effect, I can see that there may be conflicts at some stage.

There could be another possibility. You say you see this when you enter chat rooms. Is it possible that the chat room software places an icon in the System Tray, and so, as soon as it appears, ZA attempts to swap places so it is on the left?

But against that, my version of ZA is in the 8s, a bit newer than yours, and I hadn't seen this swapping effect before I upgraded to this version.

One more thing. Are Avast and ZA conflicting? I can't remember when Zonelabs introduced anti-virus and anti-spyware capabilities in its software, but if yours has those, and Avast has the same, then running all at once may cause conflicts at times. I disabled my ZA anti-virus and anti-spyware, and just use the firewall component.

Does that help?

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks for reply...
by Fred_ME47 / January 30, 2009 8:53 AM PST

Well, it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one. Too funny Your reply about wanting to be near You, lol.

They would even swap places when I was using the AVG Free AV. As for chat rooms, I used to use Yahoo Messenger 8 I believe, was always getting Yahoo errors, so I decided to try one called Trillian. Seems ok so far, been about 2 months now.

Yes, Thank You, Your answer does Help. Maybe it's just My paranoia, lol. Bipolar is an awful illness.

Having icons swap places really isn't that big a deal, I do the open ports test at grc.com, all comes back stealth, wherever ZA may be.

Again, Thanks for Your time/answer
Have a Great Day
Fred

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!