HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

System tray icons disappear in Win98

by webdoll62 / November 5, 2004 12:47 AM PST

I tried searching the forums but can't find the solution to this problem. I normally have several programs running on my PC at the same time so it's normal to have about 8-10 icons on my system tray. Most times when I minimize these programs I minimize them to the system tray to keep them out of sight but still be able to access them when I need to. At times, I will be using Explorer and receive an error that the program has to close. Whenever this happens it refreshes my screen but most of my system tray icons will disappear. How can I restore these? If I simply try to get to the running program by reopening it, I get two instances of the same program running. This gets on my nerves, because I have to reboot and restart my programs, causing me to lose what the program was originally doing.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System tray icons disappear in Win98
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System tray icons disappear in Win98
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: System tray icons disappear in Win98
by S Barringer / November 5, 2004 1:04 AM PST

I'm had the same problem, and the only solution I've found is to reboot.

Collapse -
by fathergoose / November 5, 2004 1:55 AM PST

The only way I have recovered the icons in the system tray is to reboot. But if you need to save your work in the programs that are running, try the ALT-TAB key combination. The ALT-TAB key combination shows the applications running and you can switch to them that way. Good Luck and Happy Computing...

Collapse -
by billzhills / November 5, 2004 2:00 AM PST

webdoll62

Possibilites

Spy-ware/virus -> Low Memory -> Low system resources.

Run these scans
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&messageID=15002

Go to system information, in accessories/system tools,
"tools -> DirectX Diagonstic , this page will tell you the amount of physical memory installed and usage. Physticl memory must be lower than usage. Go back to main page, here you will find System Resources. System Resources for proper operation should be around 70%.

Bill

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 8:57 AM PST

Webdoll,

It's important to know which operating system you are using. Windows 98/ME will handle that issue much differently than Windows 2000/XP. Either way, if you've actually got 8-10 DIFFERENT "programs" running at the same time, I suggest reducing the number of open programs so it doesn't occur. Even with good resources, the conflicts can become too much for a computer to handle. I try to limit the number of programs to 2 or 3, but might have 6 to 8 windows open.

In order to help your resources and decrease the problems with "resources", please follow the procedures at both of the links below. It may take a while, but it should help:

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

When you're done with the procedures above, make sure to run Scandisk/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive.

HOpe this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / November 5, 2004 9:08 PM PST
At times, I will be using Explorer and receive an error that the program has to close.

1. In order for us to analyze a potential problem and offer tips, we must rely only on the question content to attempt a qualifying response. A question should state the exact system error(s) - spelled, spaced, and capitalized just as it is shown on the display. Helpful perhaps is the window title in the colored bar of the report and any information when provided by a "Details" section also.

2. Most error messages:

? usually list and describe standard default error messages - written within the program code and usually recognized by most "Gurus"

? the troubleshooting techniques may be published and explained in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (MSKB) library for the Windows operating systems or elsewhere on the WEB and may be searched for with accurately reported information.

3. Correct and complete information is vital if informative help and answers are what you seek. You want that Guru who reads your plea to understand the question, to possibly know the answer, and to reply giving you their assistance.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.