Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System Tray Contents Active?

by Vince.Rosati / July 9, 2004 7:29 AM PDT

I have a few programs (Weather Bug, Quick Time, etc.) that I prevent from starting on bootup, by using either MSCONFIG or Startup Cop.

If I do not use those programs after invoking MSCONFIG they do not boot. All is well.

However, if I DO use them, the next time I boot, there they are in the system tray. Is there a way around this?

If not, does the mere fact that a program is showing in the System tray mean that is it is using system resources?

Thaks, Vince

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Tray Contents Active?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Tray Contents Active?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: System Tray Contents Active?
by Cursorcowboy / July 10, 2004 2:54 AM PDT
If I do not use those programs after invoking MSCONFIG they do not boot. All is well.

However, if I DO use them, the next time I boot, there they are in the system tray. Is there a way around this?

If not, does the mere fact that a program is showing in the System tray mean that is it is using system resources?

Items in the Systray are not indicative that something is actually running but the fact there is an icon available, then a very few system resources is used but not enough to worry about. Sometimes, that icon is nothing more than a convenient way to activate something -- little more than like icons in the QuickLaunch.

I have noticed this disparity with some utilities/programs that once deactivated through MSCONFIG, they will come back when used. I've also noticed that even if an item exists as nulled, it exists still, as well as a newly added active item which means both the Run and Run- keys in the registry contain the information. Nothing you can do about the anomaly since that is how the programmer wrote their program. You can however edit the system registry to remove stray and no longer needed entries.
Collapse -
by AussiePete / July 12, 2004 2:01 PM PDT

Cowboy,
It is one of my pet hates - i dont like anything running on my computer that i dont know about or sending information to the net - My experiance is that tray icons are either programs running or on a "timer" to run - usually to send or receive info from the net. You will have to go to each of the programs and carefully look through "preferences" or "options" - look for the obvious like "start with windows" and the not so obvious like "media centre" which applies to realplayer. In Realplayer there are a few items that need de-activating. I have found with a little bit of detective work you should be able to clear all those tray icons out - but a word of warning, just by not displaying the tray icon doesn't mean the program is or will run - you need to de-activate the program as well as the tray icon.
Another good place to check what is being loaded or running is by running "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSinfo\msinfo32.exe" and look in the "software section.
A good way of checking what is being broardcast to the net is by using "zonealarm basic" (www.zonelabs.com) which is also a free firewall program. whilst on this site also look for another free little program called "hijackthis" It is like msconfig but more - its good for those trjan horses as well.
Hope this helps - let me know how u get on
Peter

Collapse -
by Cetin Denislam / July 10, 2004 2:56 AM PDT

It depends of the application. If you launch it, probable it sets the load at startup option, So, you should check them in their preferences.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by Yew / July 10, 2004 2:58 AM PDT

#1: Weatherbug is loaded with spyware, get rid of it. A great free alternative, lacking in spyware, is Weather Watcher: http://www.singerscreations.com It lacks a few of Weatherbug's features, but it's lighter on the resources and no spyware included.

#2: QuickTime also sucks. Do a search for "QuickTime Alternative". You can get just the codecs and a great lightweight, but highly capable, freeware player (MediaPlayer Classic) that can play QuickTime files (and RealMedia) along with any other sort of file you have a codec for.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Last message should have been to Vince not Cowboy - sor
by AussiePete / July 12, 2004 3:14 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.