HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System Tray

by dibcurate / March 5, 2005 3:48 PM PST

When I boot up not all the items in the system tray load.
Each time different ones load but not all of them ever do.
If I wait for qite a long time before entering my password until all activity has stopped most of them load but wait to long and very few load and enter it to quickly and even less load!
I definitely have no Viruses or Spyware and though not a critical error it is annoying.
thanks for any help.
dibcurate

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Tray
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Tray
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm confused
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 5, 2005 7:48 PM PST
In reply to: System Tray

What password?

You say that if you wait for a long while before entering your password. Do you mean your Log-on password for your Windows account?

If so, then surely the System Tray, (or Notification area as it is called in Win XP), will not load anything until your account has been authorised, (except background firewall, anti-virus etc).

How many icons do you have in your systray? If it takes a long time to load up, perhaps you have too many, and some can be closed down permanently. You only need a minimum of clock, speakers, firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, (if set to load at startup), and a network icon, possibly.

If you have any more than that, then those extra's are programs that are taking away your resources unnecessarily, and causing your Windows to slow down. Anything there like Real Player, or Instant Messengers, browsers, or any programs that you don't always need at startup can be opened from the Start > all Programs list, "as and when you need them", or from shortcut icons on your desktop.

Mark

Collapse -
System Tray/Notification Area
by dibcurate / March 6, 2005 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: I'm confused

Hi Mark thanks for your reply.
What I am trying to say is that when I boot up and it gets to the point where it asks for my log on password depending on how long I wait before clicking Enter I get a different variety of Icons loading in the NA.
If I click enter imediately only a few Icons load the longer I leave it the more(rarely all)load.
I have 6 Icons in the NA and they are Network,MS Spyware,Zone Alarm Firewall with Anti Virus,Webshots(needed to change the calender daily or it does not work I do like a calender on the desktop),MSN Messenger(otherwise how do I know one of my contacts is on line or get an instant message?)and Norton Password Manager.
I have 526RAM and Intel 1.4 Processor.
It can also take quite a long time to shutdown other times it shuts down very quickly!
As I said before it is not a major problem more of an irritation and frustration as it really is very slow to boot up.
thanks again for your interest
Sid G

Collapse -
I don't see anything strange
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 6, 2005 1:59 AM PST

Hi Sid,

With MSN Messenger, and Webshots your system will be seeking internet access immediately those programs load from startup. If there is any delay, (eg if Webshots is delayed in getting its data down), that may slow down the wole process of startup.

I am not familiar with Norton's Password Manager, except it is a utility to store passwords securely and retrieve them as and when required, eg email accounts, etc, and it also stores telephone numbers, addresses and other confidential information.

However I do have some thoughts about Norton products. They are heavy and bulky, and try to do all and everything to assist the user whenever required. That's no bad thing, but it can slow down load up times. Think of this as well. As Norton's PWM loads, is it checking your system and network to see if your email client is open? If so, would this "hold back" loading everything else?

Can you delay starting the PWM? What would happen if you disabled it from loading at startup, let startup complete then load it from the desktop "before" you open your email client or whatever else you need it for?

I understand if you need a calender on your desktop and that is your choice of course, but what about MSN Messenger? Is it really that imperative that it checks for messages the instant you start the computer? Why not let start up finish and your connection establish, (I assume you have broadband), and then start MSN Messenger from the desktop? At most you get a couple of minutes delay in any messages getting through, and if the computer has been shut down all night, perhaps a couple of more minutes is not such a long time to wait.

Why not try disabling those 2, and see if your startup gets any quicker. If not, then you can investigate further, eg checking MSCONFIG, (Start > Run, type msconfig and click OK), to see what other programs may be loading at startup and what processes are running in the background, some of which you may not need.

Those same network capable programs that load at startup, (Norton's PWM, Webshots, MSN Messenger), may well be slowing down your shutdown as each one has to close off their network connection and tidy themselves up before Windows can close itself down properly.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
System Tray/Notification Area
by dibcurate / March 6, 2005 4:04 AM PST

Hi Mark
Thanks a lot will try all that and see what happes.
I am still confused though why some load and others do not at each start up!

Thanks again
Regards
Sid

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.