HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System Standby Failed

by mparegian / June 5, 2004 8:10 AM PDT

I get the error message "System Standby Failed" when I try to put my computer into sleep mode. I have a new emachine and am running Windows XP. It has been going into sleep mode successfully for several months but I am now receiving this message when I hit the "sleep" button.

"The device driver for the 'Communications Port (COM)' device is preventing the machine from entering standby. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver."

Closing and restarting makes no difference. I went into the hardware section and found the Communications Port driver and attempted to re-install it from the recovery CD (thinking it may have gotten corrupted) - but after looking through that disk, the Wizard says the driver currently installed is the best one. All patches are current and there are no other Window Updates available to install so I can't understand how I can update a driver that was working perfectly a day ago when there are none available for download on the update section?? Why would I need a new driver when it worked fine yesterday - anyone have any answers ?? Or is something else going on here ???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Standby Failed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Standby Failed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2004 8:42 AM PDT
In reply to: System Standby Failed

"I have a new emachine" and you have an issue with "new"...

You have a warranty issue. The common cures are updated BIOS and motherboard drivers. If you added ANYTHING to the machine from new to when the problem occurred, then you get to reveal that.

What will fry you is that a common TROJAN DIALER can produce this issue.

Bob

Collapse -
The answer.
by mparegian / June 5, 2004 1:50 PM PDT
In reply to: The answer.

Oh, I don't have an issue with new, I like new!! It doesn't seem like a warranty issue as everything else is working perfectly and this has been a truly wonderful computer - I am just confused with this new situation - I haven't added "anything" - not too sure what you mean by that, except some software - nothing unusual ????

So I have done a search for the common "trojan dialer" and haven't found much - I have Norton antivirus (nothing there) I ran Micro Trend Housecall (nothing there) I ran Panda Active Scan (nothing there). What else should I be doing to locate and delete this possible "trojan dialer" of which you speak???

Collapse -
No dialer, so it's a warranty issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2004 10:16 PM PDT
In reply to: The answer.

"it doesn't seem like a warranty issue as everything else is working perfectly "

It's a warranty issue. Just like a new car, you have them fix any small item this time. It could be a BIOS bug or a driver they need to provide.

Bob

Collapse -
No dialer, so it's a warranty issue.
by mparegian / June 6, 2004 4:52 AM PDT

Thanks for all your help. I did call emachine technical support and after going through a number of items, we used the System Restore feature and went back to before I had installed that last window driver update (Via Technologies, Inc. Multimedia Software update relased April 23, 2004). I just routinely download any updates but in the future I may not download any more drivers unless I am experiencing problems. That was probably the problem as I am now able to put the machine into the sleep mode again. Thanks.

Collapse -
That is a fine clue. Tip: Microsoft is not good for drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2004 5:56 AM PDT

Many postings here about difficulties if one takes the Microsoft drivers. Take it as a lesson learned.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:System Standby Failed
by Cursorcowboy / June 6, 2004 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: System Standby Failed

1. Issues are explained in the article "Unable to Use Power Management Features (Q302414)" when using one or more device drivers that do not implement power management functionality correctly because they are not Plug and Play or power management enabled. This article does not elaborate other than for a user to ascertain what interferes and to either update it or quit used programs before implementing the power management feature.

2. The article [Q308549] explains that the System Information tool (Msinfo32.exe) gathers information about your computer, devices installed or device drivers that are loaded, and provides a menu for displaying the associated system topics. It also provides access to tools you can use for troubleshooting your computer.

3. The article [Q307970] is a step-by-step article that describes how you can configure devices by using Device Manager.

4. "DevCon" is a Command Line utility that can be downloaded and acts as an alternative to Device Manager. It allows a user to enable, disable, restart, update, remove, and query individual devices or groups of devices and provides information relevant to the developer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.