Computer Help forum

General discussion

System Restore won't open

by drwebber65 / August 13, 2007 10:36 PM PDT

I have been having some issues with my computer. I uninstalled lots of random crap on my computer. Somehow Norton got uninstalled in the mix.

Because of this I was having Issues with word. Saying it is missing files and what not. I tried to reinstall word and it is telling me that there is a missing .dll file on my disk. Makes no sense how does something go missing from a cd?

To make a long story short I have installed a new virus program, run spybot scan and destroy and still I cannot install word.

I tried to open system restore numerous times and all that happens is a hourglass then nothing. I feel like there is some kind of virus or trojan horse infecting my system not allowing things to run. Anybody have any suggestions.?

Anything will help. I am thinking of downloading a registry fixer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Restore won't open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Restore won't open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
system restore
by Amos16 / August 14, 2007 12:50 AM PDT

Hi - First of all make sure that you have enough free space on your boot disk - at least 200 MB. If not, SR will not work. Then use at least one more antispyware program. And if you do edit the registry, make sure that you back it up first, on a different computer or external HD if you have insufficient space. Lastly, take a recommended cleaner, such as CCleaner or something else from the C-net list. Good Luck - Amos.

Collapse -
Thanks
by drwebber65 / August 14, 2007 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: system restore

I was not planning of editing the registry myself, but downloading a registry cleaner from cnet. Can you recommend a free one? If I do all of those things do you think it will help remedy the problem. I was going to bug my IT guy at work but I would prefer not to.

Collapse -
by caktus / August 14, 2007 7:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
CCleaner as Amos suggested is a good freebe for cleaning up the general trash the system collects. A good freebe for cleaning trash from the Registy is RegSeeker

You may want to read Troubleshoot System Restore issues and How to reinstall System Restore in Windows XP?

Prior to installing a new program I highly recommend creating a Registry backup with ERUNT
The Emergency Recovery Utility NT
Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista
I understand it also works with other Windows OS's. Read the documentation for some good info.
After uninstalling the new programs, restoring the Registry with ERUNT will get rid of all traces of the new program. Something that SR is somewhat incapable of doing. Such traces can sometimes cause problems such as you are experiencing. But if you don't want to risk loosing files or documents that were created since installing the new program, it may be a good idea the first use SR.

If you are using an XP operating system, another option in this particular case may be to run a non-destructive System Recovery or Application and Driver Recovery. Go to Start > Programs > System Recovery. If you choose this method you may have to again download and install all MS/Windows updates as the will be lost.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie
Collapse -
Ahhhh
by drwebber65 / August 14, 2007 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: reply

I tried all those things and guess what? Still did not work. I am really confused. The computer seems to be working. I just cannot install anything. I cleaned out the registry, ran the programs that were suggested, and ran a second spyware which I think was better then the first. Still nothing.

From some other the other stuff I read it seems like I may have a security breach in Windows however if I use IE to got to windows update...I get nothing. I was also just informed that when email is accessed via IE7 they are blank. Mozilla works fine.

Any more suggestions? It is really annoying I see things there it just does not work. I am thinking of doing a complete restore. I have a restore partition that will save files to it and reinstall windows. I am just afraid that if the files are infected that it may not help.

Any suggestions are great...

Collapse -
System restore
by Amos16 / August 14, 2007 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Ahhhh

Hi - do you get any error messages? What are they? - Amos

Collapse -
reply to: Ahhhh
by caktus / August 15, 2007 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahhhh

I think I may have caused some confusion by saying "SR" for System Restore which can easily be confused with "System Recovery." I need to watch that.

"restore partition that will save files"

I'm confused. It sounds like you are refering to a "Non-destructive System Recovery" as I suggested trying. If you mean the Complete or Destructive System Recovery, this will return the system to the same as when it was first purchased. I.E. you will loose ALL personal documents, programs, updates, etc. Before doing such, I would try the following:

1. Download, install, update and runAVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition 7.5

2. Download, install and run IEFix - General purpose fix for Internet Explorer

3. Repair or Reinstall Internet Explorer6 and Outlook Express 6. This may not work with an OEM (non-retail) version of XP/IE. But it's worth a try and can't hurt. Just remember to undo the Registry edit when done, even if it doesn't work.

4. The System Recovery also provides an option to do a System Restore.

Still, if these don't help, I would wait a bit to see if anyone else can offer possible fixes before doing a "Destructive System Recovery." Unless of course time is of the essence. If you end up doing a "Destructive System Recovery" be sure to backup any files, programs, setup programs, etc.

Hope something here helps.

Charlie

Collapse -
Thanks
by drwebber65 / August 15, 2007 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: reply to: Ahhhh

It is at the shop now getting fixed in theory. The Word Disk I was using was corrupt. The windows issue is something bigger however. I guess there is some corrupt files missing. The store is trying to find a copy of XP tablet to do a windows recovery or something like that.

Thank you for all the help.

Collapse -
(NT) Hope it works out.
by caktus / August 15, 2007 2:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?