Computer Help forum

General discussion

System Restore won?t open

by ahw30045 / March 28, 2006 6:54 AM PST

I am using Windows XP SP2 and just allowed MS to update my PC with Microsoft Update (mostly Outlook 2003 patches.) This update may be totally unrelated to this problem, but I just discovered that my System Restore won?t open. (I was having no problems, but wanted to create a Restore point before making some registry modifications.)
These are the errors in the Application Event Log:

Faulting application rstrui.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module srrstr.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00009826.
Fault bucket 127254195.
Faulting application rstrui.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module srrstr.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00009826.

Can someone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Restore won?t open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Restore won?t open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AHW, Have You Tried?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 28, 2006 7:17 AM PST

...the steps in the link below:

system restore will not load

Another thought...Are you using the Internet Explorer 7 BETA program. It seems to be causing some of these types of errors also.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Or If Needed, Try Reinstalling It
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 28, 2006 7:24 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks, reinstalling worked
by ahw30045 / March 28, 2006 11:45 AM PST

Thanks, reinstalling worked; the first solution did not and no, I am not using IE 7

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) AHW, Good Job & Thanks For Posting Back
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 29, 2006 12:40 AM PST
Collapse -
thank you
by Alex_Twin / January 17, 2009 8:29 AM PST

something broke my computer i think it was auslogics registry defrag on speed boost or that sidebar thing for xp form vista which is meant to be official or something anyway! ur my hero cos my comp is now fixed thhx to this i didnt even need to run system restore thank you so much!

Collapse -
More (question) on system retore
by godedd / April 6, 2006 3:04 AM PDT

I thought system restore automatically made restore points. But, when I tried to do a restore it tells me its not available or can't be restored. I have tried everyday in the months it shows that a restore point is available. I have tried this on several occasions and it has never worked. Why?
SQ

Collapse -
Just a comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2006 3:11 AM PDT

When starting a new topic, try to not bury it under someone else's discussion.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Sandra, Which Operating System?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 6, 2006 3:22 AM PDT

Both Windows ME and XP use System Restore but the problems with them are slightly different. Windows ME has a patch for such a problem related to the link below..

Windows ME- Checkpoints that you create after September 8, 2001 do not restore your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290700

Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows Millennium Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306768

With Windows XP or ME, the SR files/program could be corrupted. With XP, reinstalling it per the instructions in the previous links can frequently fix the issue if all other possibilities such as spyware/malware issues can be eliminated.

How to troubleshoot the System Restore tool in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302796

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.