Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System Restore Question

by indianhead123 / May 27, 2008 6:59 AM PDT

I am having a problem using system restore.

The only "bold" date available, as an earlier date, is today's date.

I have tried all 5 methods from Microsoft's system restore help and suppport page for WindowsXP, to no avail.Each tells me that System restore is working.

I used the one date (today) that was avaialable and it "restored" without a problem.

How can I get the calendar to show an earlier date?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Restore Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Restore Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a SWAG. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 27, 2008 8:14 AM PDT

Since you didn't tell us what five methods you used, I have to ask about disk space you have allotted to System Restore. In Control Panel, System, click the Restore tab. Where is the slider? If it's too far to the left/minimim you may not have enough disk space allotted.

Collapse -
System Restore
by indianhead123 / May 27, 2008 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a SWAG. . .

Sorry I missed that, it is all the way to the right.

Collapse -
If You Create A Restore Point Manually??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 27, 2008 8:30 AM PDT

...does it "stick" and do you now see two restore points?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Are You Running Norton Or Kaspersky Antivirus?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 27, 2008 8:33 AM PDT

We've read about System Restore issues with both antivirus programs.. Tried disabling/uninstalling them to see if they are the problem?

Here is a link to some more potentially hazardous programs when it comes to SR.

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Systems Restore
by indianhead123 / May 27, 2008 8:59 AM PDT

I am running CA (Computer Associates)anti-virus, firewall etc. I disabled all but no help.

On the System Restore page, you are asked to pick any BOLD date for your restoring. The only bold date that is highlighted is the current day.

Collapse -
As Asked Above..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 27, 2008 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Systems Restore

On the System Restore page, it allows you to manually "Create A Restore" point. What happens when you do so.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Create a restore point
by indianhead123 / May 27, 2008 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: As Asked Above..

When clicking the above, the next page instructs to add a restore point description for which "the current date and time will be automatically added".

Collapse -
Exactly....That's Correct...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 27, 2008 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Create a restore point

...and there is also a blank space where you can type in the description of that restore point.. So...if you do that and manually create the restore point, does it stick so you'll see two restore points the next day?

Grif

Collapse -
Restore
by indianhead123 / May 27, 2008 12:25 PM PDT

I'm a little confused. What goes in the description box?

Isn't that only a reference?

How would it impact the restore dates?

Thanks.

Collapse -
What goes in the description box?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 27, 2008 2:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Restore

Anything you want.. Type any words you want so long as you remember them.. When you then try to do a system restore, there might by multiple restore points in a single day, each one having a different type and description.. Or, if you're lucky, you'll have this one for today and another one tomorrow. That's what we're trying to find out..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.