HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

System Restore Not Working

by TN Person / July 9, 2009 4:38 AM PDT

I am using a Sony Vaio VGN-FS315Z, running Windows XP, Zone Alarm firewall and AVG Anti-Virus software. I have had the laptop since it was new, about 3 years ago and have experienced very few problems. System Restore has always worked for me, both on my PC and laptop, until now. Several restore points are visible but when I try to restore to one of them, all looks normal until my laptop restarts and I get a message saying "Your computer cannot be restored to ...... No changes have been made". I have tried several different restore points, with no success.

C:\ 41.9GB, free 18.2GB and D:\ 62.8GB, free 18.6GB

I have just defragged both disks and run AVG scanner.

Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Restore Not Working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Restore Not Working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When I see this I
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2009 4:41 AM PDT

1. Try to fix the issue that has us wanting to use SR.
2. Disable SR and then re-enable so SR can get a fresh clean start.

Sorry but it's not a reliable system to use. I read the post twice and besides SR, what needs fixin?
Bob

Collapse -
Restore Points
by TN Person / July 9, 2009 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: When I see this I

Thanks, Bob,

If I disable then re-enable SR as you suggest, do I lose any system restore points?

TNP

Collapse -
"so SR can get a fresh clean start."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2009 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Restore Points

"so SR can get a fresh clean start,"

Sorry if I was unclear.

Clean = spotless, new, nothing there, shiny, empty, void, white, bleached, Windex'd.

Collapse -
Other things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2009 5:05 AM PDT

I'm running into toxic combos that clash now but didn't in the past. Uninstall Spybot, Teatimer and adaware for now.

Collapse -
Zone Alarm thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2009 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Other things.
Collapse -
Zone Alarm
by TN Person / July 9, 2009 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Other things.

Thank you! Zone Alarm has been causing the problem. I have used it for years and never experienced any issues so would not have thought of it as a likely culprit.

TN

Collapse -
Stand in for ZA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2009 3:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Zone Alarm
Collapse -
Simply do RS in SAFE MODE
by azfrank3 / July 10, 2009 3:12 PM PDT

I ran into this problem with my PC, then I heard on CNET, I think, just bring your computer up in SAFE MODE, do the restore and it will work. I done this three times now, it worked every time.

Frank3

Collapse -
restoring pictures
by s1u2s3a4n / July 11, 2009 7:22 AM PDT

For some reason while viewing my pictures in Microsoft Digital Image software - some were identified as just being on a disk (which was never the case) and those could not be edited in any way. When I tried restore - I lost all the pictures that had that notation. I went back to different times and nothing brought them back.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.