Computer Help forum

General discussion

system restore malfunction

My 16 year old downloaded Furcadia while I was away. When I came home, he was playing and listening to music (playlist on another site.) I got on computer and removed Furcadia. Suddenly, the computer had no sound. I checked all settings and hook ups. I went into control panel and checked to see if there were other harmful programs that had been downloaded. I also removed Highjack This. Still no sound. I tried System Restore, but I received "The application or DLL c:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\pcshell.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check against your installation diskette." I tried running Ad-Aware. The language was in German with no English choice! (Never had that happen before!) I redownloaded Ad-Aware, scanned, removed spyware, and still no sound or system restore. I downloaded Glarysoft to check for registry problems and repair files. Still no sound and no ability to system restore. Could you please help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: system restore malfunction
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: system restore malfunction
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
system restore malfunction

In reply to: system restore malfunction

You need to supply more information. What is the operating system? Do you have any audio devices listed in device manager?

Collapse -
system restore

So sorry...Windows XP

Collapse -
system restore

In reply to: system restore

Check the control panel (classic view)for "sounds and audio devices". Double click to open, and click on the "audio" tab across the top. Make sure the proper device is listed under "default device".

Collapse -
audio check

In reply to: system restore

Yes, it is also the default device.

Collapse -
audio device

Intel(r) Integrated Audio device is on computer

Collapse -
audio device

In reply to: audio device

OK. Check the volume control by clicking on the volume tab across the top of the "sounds and audio devices" dialog box, just in casre the program changed a setting.

If nothing is out there, I would remove the device in device manager, reboot, and have windows discover the device and reload the drivers.

If that dowsn't work, check the motherboard manufacturer's site for updated drivers.

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: audio device

Thanks, I'll try.

Collapse -
And did you?

I mean: check the dll? I find it a rather helpful message.

Try running sfc /scannow (have your XP disc ready, if it asks for it). Or copy the file from another XP installation.

Mine (but it's Dutch, so it's not exactly yours) is version 5.1.2600.5512, from Microsoft, dated Feb 20, 2007, modified 14-4-2008, and 102,912 bytes. And it pchshell.dll, not pcshell.dll.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.