Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System Restore is not able to create a restore point.

OS-WIN XP
When trying to create a restore point the following dialog box is produced. '' System Restore is not able to create a restore point. Please restart the computer, and then run System Restore again''. And yoy get the message again after rebooting. Also you cannot retore from a restore point, the calendar only shows the current month.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Restore is not able to create a restore point.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Restore is not able to create a restore point.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mabe...

In reply to: System Restore is not able to create a restore point.

disable System Restore. Right click My Computer > left click Properties > System Restore tab > place a check mark beside "Turn off system restore on all drives" > Apply > OK. Then turn system restore back on.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
jmalin1

Check System Restore in Admin Services. Go to START > CONTROL PANEL > ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS > SERVICES.

Scroll down to SYSTEM RESTORE SERVICE.

Make sure Status is STARTED and Startup Type is AUTOMATIC. If not, double click on SYSTEM RESTORE SERVICE. Select AUTOMATIC and START.

Restart the computer and try System Restore.
=======================================================

If that doesn't fix the problem, try using System Restore in Safe Mode.

Restart the computer. While the computer is restarting continuously tap the F8 key until the startup menu appears.

Using the up or down arrow keys move the highlighted line to SAFE MODE and press ENTER.

When the Safe Mode screen appears left click on ADMINISTRATOR. If you are not the Adminstrator left click on your user name.

Try System Restore again.
=======================================================
If that doesn't work, make sure System Restore is being monitored, and that it has adaquate sortage space (at least 10%)

Right click on MY COMPUTER > left click on
PROPERTIES > SYSTEM RESTORE > follow instructions.
=======================================================Hope this helps.

Collapse -
System Restore Problems

In reply to: jmalin1

Tried your recommendations and they do not work either. Thanks.

Collapse -
Re: System Restore is not able to create a restore point.

Collapse -
Vcom Fix-It Utilities 6

I fiddle around a lot with my computer and occasionally have to use system restore.

In my case, the Vcom Recovery Commander utility in the Fix-It package always works...even when MS System Restore won't work.

I also think their Anti-virus and Anti-Spyware utilities work better than most. For years I used version 5 and recently paid about $16 for version 6 Pro new on eBay which had a valid rebate coupon on the box.

Collapse -
I have version 5. Didn't have much luck with it.

In reply to: Vcom Fix-It Utilities 6

It seems, because I ran the fixit utilities so often, that it caused more problems for me. Not that I'm a bright one when it comes to picking files to be deleted.

The list would include "green", "red" and "yellow" flagged items that wanted me to review them and determine if I should delete them. I'm not a computer expert or programmer but the list was basically wanting me to understand what was selected. The program apparently has a sense of humor. Happy

I would delete the safe ones...the green flagged ones...and then I would start deleting the others. Lets just say my PC required a fresh OS install.

Collapse -
Registry

In reply to: I have version 5. Didn't have much luck with it.

That sounds like the Registry clean up utility. I use the All-in-one where it doesn't ask me anything. The only thing it fouls up is one of my grand daughters games, Ollo and The Sunny Valley Fair. After the All-in-one utility runs, I have to reinstall the game.

The Trend Micro anti-virus utility is generally ranked highly.

The anti-spyware utility, which seems to be new to version 6, sometimes reports one or two cookies that the Microsoft AntiSpyware does not report.

I have never have had the problems like the ones with Norton utilities frequently mentioned in this forum.

Collapse -
Looks like Norton Systemworks was the cause of...

In reply to: Registry

some problems for me. I finally uninstalled it and problems have nearly gone away. The damage NSW did while I used it can only be repaired, for me, by a fresh OS install.

I don't think I'll be using any utility programs any time soon. Then, again, I might retry System Suite. What can it hurt? I still have to refresh the OS with a clean install. If I do I'll stick to the "All-In-One fixit, like you mentioned.

Collapse -
a sort of fix

In reply to: Vcom Fix-It Utilities 6

I've spent about 6 months trying to fix this problem I reformatted and system restore would work for a while but then the same old problem would re-occur, 'system restore cant create a restore point turn off computer and try again'. The last time I reformatted I decided just to make 1 restore point and then I just let system restore make its own automatic restore points 1 every 24 hrs I also turned the slider bar in system restore to 5%. This was on the 21 oct 2005 its worked fine since then. I am in 3 other forums besides this one and I've brought up the problem in each one and nobodys solved it yet, I've had numerous people trying to help to no avail. I will definetely be looking into Vcom recovery commander. Norton also has something called go back I havent tried it though. Its funny I have 3 pc's and I only have this system restore problem on one of them. I've seen quite a lot of questions on various forums about this same system restore fault so we are not alone. I have posted previously about this on this forum.

Collapse -
Correct me if I'm wrong

In reply to: a sort of fix

But shouldn't Gates and company be fixing this? My nephew has the same make and model pc as me and his restore wont work either. It says something about group policy wont let him restore. I didnt think the xp home ed. even had that. Oh well....

Collapse -
System Restore

In reply to: Correct me if I'm wrong

Gates & company will help if you want to pay them?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!