Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System Restore doesn't activate when it should

by jerryrm / August 11, 2005 8:08 AM PDT

I have WinXP home, sp2.

I want to do a SR, but when going through the wizard, I get to the point where I click "next" on the confirmation page and the hour glass comes up for a few seconds and then nothing happens. At that point the computer is to shut down and restart, but it won't do it. Suggestions? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Restore doesn't activate when it should
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Restore doesn't activate when it should
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you explain
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 11, 2005 8:13 AM PDT

why you want to do a System Restore?

It may give a clue to your problems.

What steps do you take to protect against hackers, viruses, spyware and adware?

You could try a System Restore in Safe Mode.

Mark

Collapse -
System Restore problem
by jerryrm / August 11, 2005 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Can you explain

I want to restore to see if I can recover lost bookmarks on Mozilla browser. I have no idea of how I lost them, but thought the restore might get them back.

I have tried in safe mode but with the same result. The wizard goes through the process and then won't complete it.

I checked and have the space for restore on max so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Just for info.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2005 8:15 AM PDT

I finally found a way to cripple SR and the error message didn't tell you why. I reduced the free space on the drive to just a 100 megabytes. SR would then give a non-informative "could not restore."

Hope it helps.

Bob

Collapse -