Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

system restore back to 2001

by mutton777 / June 30, 2008 12:03 AM PDT

Hi, I am running win xp, and have encountered a wierd fault with system restore. previously when I have used restore Ihave had no problems. but suddenly the date changed to 2001, and when I looked at restore in order to create a restore point it will not move from 2001
I have plenty of disc space and s/restore is set high enough to advance to 2008, any help would be appreciated thanks Mike.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: system restore back to 2001
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: system restore back to 2001
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe the CMOS battery died
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 12:12 AM PDT

And the machine thinks it's 2001? Did you check the system clock?

I'd write more how to but I don't find the make and model of the machine here. It's not done in Windows but the BIOS setup.
Bob

Collapse -
sorry more info.
by mutton777 / June 30, 2008 12:30 AM PDT

Desk top p/c. yes checked clock reads jan 1 2001, but all my files etc are the same no changes there.

Collapse -
"clock reads jan 1 2001"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry more info.

Did you need more to fix this?

Collapse -
re clock,
by mutton777 / June 30, 2008 1:20 AM PDT

Turned off s/restore, re started, created a new restore point today.
which works,, however my eset anti virus says out of date, but when i update says you have the update version.. and says last succesfull
update 1/1/2001.
changed clock to today..
checked system for bugs, none found.
went on pitstop which says i have not updated my m/soft hot fixes for
2387 days. although all m/s fixes are up to date...
it seems that some programmes are at 2001 and others normal.

Collapse -
Which is a side effect of the wrong date and time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: re clock,

When XP runs on the wrong date and time it hoses many dates and times on applications and the system restore. This is not a bug but the way it works. We told it was that day and it believed us.

Collapse -
clock
by mutton777 / June 30, 2008 1:41 AM PDT

I will run system restore to the restore point I made today, and see if that changes anything, I still dont understand how the clock
went back to 2001.... my wife was using the p/c last night..maby a bug was downloadad,,

Collapse -
Or the CMOS BATTERY...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: clock

Has started to get too old. They only last a few years.

Why run System Restore? What's busted?

Collapse -
re restore
by mutton777 / June 30, 2008 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Or the CMOS BATTERY...

Thanks for your input Bob, I ran system restore when I realised that in order to acess hotmail the firewall blocked me and said I had a
out of date signature. in addition to the date.
just opened s/restore again to look ,the programm opens with 1/1/2001
and I can jump to my new restore point i made today. can I delete the 2001 point or will that cause more problems..
I am pretty sure I will have to delete/re install eset spyware and some other programmes to get back on track..

Collapse -
Are you going to replace the battery?
by Coryphaeus / June 30, 2008 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: re restore

As Bob said, this is probably not a software problem

Collapse -
softrware prob
by mutton777 / June 30, 2008 3:05 AM PDT

Hi, I have not touched the battery since I have had the pc..
i did not know desktop p/cs had a battery...

Collapse -
CMOS battery
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: softrware prob

All PC's have a CMOS battery. It keeps the settings in the BIOS up to date, including the system date. Otherwise, whenever you closed down and turned off the computer the BIOS would lose all its settings and the next time you switched on you would have to redo all the BIOS settings and set today's date and time, each time.

How to replace the CMOS battery

Mark

Collapse -
thanks Mark
by mutton777 / June 30, 2008 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: CMOS battery

I had completely forgotten about the cmos battery, yes it would explain the sudden date change etc.
I reset bios to default, and now my eset spyware programme is working normally... as is everything else.
I will change the battery tomorrow,but will it then revert back to 2001, will backup all before doing so. or is it best to leave alone
as re-setting the bios seems to have solved the problem. once again,
many thanks to all. Mike

Collapse -
Not going to replace the battery?
by Coryphaeus / June 30, 2008 10:31 AM PDT

Let us know when you are back to square one. It WILL fail again even after a BIOS reset.

Collapse -
I agree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 7:03 PM PDT

If you, (mutton777), intend to replace the CMOS battery then you should enter the BIOS and make a manual note, (pen and paper), of all the settings. Perhaps the computer manual may have the default settings?

Then replace the battery, re-enter the BIOS and check that the settings are OK, or change as necessary.

Mark

Collapse -
cmos
by mutton777 / June 30, 2008 8:05 PM PDT
In reply to: I agree

Ok, I will replace battery, you are correct it will fail again, even though everything is ok. I have my asus motherboard set up book,and the settings should be in there. thanks to all for the input.
Mike.

Collapse -
Battery replacement
by lilly102 / December 27, 2008 3:39 AM PST

Did you replace the battery and did it resolve the problem?
I have XP and have the same problem. Whenever I turn off the PC and turn it back on it reverts to January 01,2001. Before I go thru replacing the battery, I would ;ike to see if that was really the problem.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!