Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

System restore

by viper41 / November 20, 2013 9:53 AM PST

I am running Win XP Pro and I find that my "system restore" will not restore. It tells me that no changes were made to my computer. I am using Firefox. Any suggestions? Bill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Can be true for many many reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2013 10:02 AM PST
In reply to: System restore

The most common reason I see it fail is the antivirus suite has blocked it.

The next is some virus or registry cleaner damage. Registry cleaners and fixers break things rather than what we all hoped for.

Tell more.
Bob

Collapse -
System restore
by viper41 / November 20, 2013 11:21 AM PST

Bob, I'm using AVG, free version and CC Cleaner.

Collapse -
It seems you found it. Search example for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2013 11:21 PM PST
Collapse -
System restore
by viper41 / November 21, 2013 1:26 AM PST

Bob, I have used AVG free version for years. Thanks so much

Collapse -
System restore
by viper41 / December 13, 2013 3:03 AM PST

Thank you for the response, I uninstalled AVG and my system works just fine now. Thanks, Bill

Collapse -
Answer
hello
by fosterpeople / December 12, 2013 3:28 PM PST

well, I think the reason is that you didn't create a restore point for the computer. Because the windows self-provided system restore function always asks user to create a restore point before you want to do the restore job if you didn't turn the "automatical creating restore point" function on. So I guess that would be the reason.
And if you have important files to get back. You may need to seek helps from other data recover & backup software on the market. There are plenty of them out there.
You can also get some hints from here how to restore windows 2003 server. Don't mind it is for windows 2003 server, it is a compatible solution for windowsXP as well.

Collapse -
(NT) -1 for spamming this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2013 1:56 AM PST
In reply to: hello
Collapse -
Wrong fosterpeople . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 15, 2013 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: hello

In XP Pro System Restore is turned on by default and will remain on until available space on the drive reaches 200 Mb or less.

Three conditions will prompt an automatic restore point:

1. Every 24 machine running hours. IE if a PC is running 24/7 a restore point will be created every 24 hours. If a PC is running 4 hours a day the the restore point will be created every 6 days. More or less.

2. On every MS update.

3. When most programs or utilities are installed.

Manual restore points can be created at any time.

Collapse -
Answer
Been down this road many times
by rolo8b / December 31, 2013 8:03 AM PST

I have taught myself to always check for Restore Points first ,before clicking restore ....
Because , if there's no saved restore points , your pc won't be able to divert to an earlier time , thus
the message " No Changes Were Made " meaning the pc is in the same state as it was before clicking
restore...Ihad a rough go of understanding what it was being conveyed.....
The solution to the problem was in the regular cleaning of files , disk cleaning and so on...My restore
points were thrown out ....Somewhere in XP bellows theres a check box or somthin
to skip over the Saved Restore Points...im in Win 7 now , an playing on memory
Also , if your using another form of PC cleaning other than the XP system , looksee for files
pretaining to restore

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!