Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System restore

I seem to have lost he System restore facility. I keep getting the message "Not fitted"...Any Advice.plase. Lesarmstrong.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Much Information There..

In reply to: System restore

Which operating system? Make and model of computer? EXACT error you are seeing? Why are you needing to use System Restore? How are you attempting to access SR?

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode, then using System Restore?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
System restore

In reply to: Not Much Information There..

Thanks a lot! My system is XP, With an HP PC.....I was having major problems a time ago,and wanted to "Restore" to an earlier date.... "restore" used to be in the "Accessories" *System Tools" file but is not there. I have tried opening in the "safe" mode,the same message appears "The Restore is "not fitted" please contact your Administrator...I Don't have one !Fortunately, I managed to restore through one of my "Utilities", I do not know when I "lost" the restore facility. Does this help? Leslie.

Collapse -
Tried Reinstalling System Restore Like This?

In reply to: System restore

It's possible that System Restore has developed some corrupted files.

Have you tried reinstalling System Restore like this:

1. Click Start->Run->C:\windows\inf

2. Look for SR.INF and Right Click on it

3. Left Click Install

Follow the prompts, Reboot and System Restore will be ready to use. If you need to re-enable System Restore at this point, do this:

1. Click Start.
2. Right-click on the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.
3. Click the "System Restore" tab.
4. UNCHECK "Turn off system restore" or "Turn off system restore on all drives". Click on Apply, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
System RESTORE

In reply to: Tried Reinstalling System Restore Like This?

I REALLY DO appreciate your assistance. I have carried out your suggestion. When I get to the SR bit(There is not an SR Inf button Only SR and SR PNF which is irrelevant),I get the message that I need to insert the windows XP cd and the window shows:C:windows/inf.386, but I cannot progress. Inserting the original cd only shows "not found".
I also get the message, now...."System restore has been Turned off by group policy.To Turn on,contact your Domain Administrator...."

Where to now? If you have any ideas. I could have done with a "Restore" again, last night, as I now,also seem to have lost my Main tool bar on my Firefox...but that's another problem... Anyway, THANKS AGAIN for your help. Les

Collapse -
SR might be Sr.inf

In reply to: System RESTORE

Here's why. Explorer can hide the extensions of files it knows.

Right click on the SR and then properties to find the full name.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!