Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

system restore

For some reason I have lost the ability to use system restore in Win ME. I also cannot create a restor. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: system restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: system restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I Have Recently Received an ME Comp. Having Similar....

In reply to: system restore

problem. I am using CCleaner (as I do on my XPPro & XP Home with similar mild settings) and running cleaner seems to cause this problem to appear.
In my case, it says: "System Restore can't run until you re-start computer". Tried every possible boot method: No change. Tried using run CMD to open rstrui.exe (replied couldn't be found).
I HAVE had some LUCK in reminding system where restore is by: Start>Search>find files or folders> and entering
system restore into the 2ND BOX down (containing the words)enter "system restore"(without quote mks) then click search. Will take a couple of minutes to create long list. I find I have several duplicates of files in question I seek: 1) helpcenter.exe & rstrui.exe.
I have 1 copy of each in system & 1 of each in options/cabinet.dll & 1 in PCHealth (application)(?).
I often get it going by double left clicking on Help Center .exe (as that page has system restore link on it). Sometimes get: "Required Dll file: HCappres.dll not found.Occasionally it works just clicking on the rstrui.exe file (actual system restore file) but I sometimes get RESTART message (no go). Tonight I tried dbl. left clicking help center.exe in options/cabinet(apparently a back-up copy of all Dlls).
which must have re-installed the missing files or at least reminded system of where they could be found. Seemed to work as help center came up & the restore link worked. I returned to restore point 2 days previous when restore was working and seems ok.
I think the "RegChecker"(5 or6 previous ok shutdown configs) absorbs the registry (config?)with the files missing during repeated boot attempts as restore wanted, and then at next boot may give same problem again although was ok when shut down last time. I seemed to have some luck by repeatedly creating new regchecker back-ups (6 of ) while system restore present. I wonder if regchecker is storing those back-ups somewhere weird where CCleaner is cleaning during run(temp internet files, temp files,clipboard or..?). I was going to post my problem when I saw yours! Hope this helps some. ConfusedHappy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) After a CClenar scan ALWAYS reboot.

In reply to: I Have Recently Received an ME Comp. Having Similar....

Collapse -
Just an Update: Seems Sys.Restore in ME Won't Work IF.....

In reply to: I Have Recently Received an ME Comp. Having Similar....

one has McAfee Safe & Sound back-up application, (before
Version 4.00.1034.0. According to Belarc Advisor, this machine has version 2.00)! Hmmm....
More interesting is that Search of all folders (show all) comes up with no files under McAfee Safe & Sound nor under Network Associates. Search (manual) of program files shows 1 McAfee Folder containing (now un-installed) AV folder but no S&S within!! No Network Assoc. folder at all. "Stranger & stranger thru the looking glass"!
Maybe given the innate instability of this OS, I'll reformat, up memory and put on XPPro. Would leave me with more of my remaining hair (LOL)! Happy

Collapse -
Try this

Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk and enter the following commands at the A:\> prompt.

ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE (press enter)
REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST (press enter)

Remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. You should now have a new, single restore point. Go to Windows Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder.

Don't forget to configure the disk space you want System Restore to use.

Control Panel > System > Performance > File System > Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider to your preferred setting.

Most people find that a setting of 200-300MB is sufficient to hold 10-15 days worth of restore points, unless you are doing a lot of installs/uninstalls, or installing large applications (such as Office).

If you don't have a startup disk, you can create one from Add/Remove programs > Startup Disk > follow the prompts. You will need a clean formatted floppy.

Good luck,

Zee

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for the Tips, Cmds, & Setting Suggestions! :-)

In reply to: Try this

Collapse -
Could Try This

My previous Windows PC was a Windows ME and still have a Laptop with Windows ME!

First you could refresh your ''ME'' with the ''Restore September Update''

Next.
I found I a simular problems with the ''Restore'' which became non useable and by = ''Disabling'' the ''Restore'' = Do a complete Cleanup = Bring computer up in ''Safe Mode'' = do a ''ScanDisk'' = then ''Defrag'' = ''Restart'' to normal Windows Mode = Re enable ''Restore'' and then afterwards I found all was OK with the ''restore''!
Hope may assist

Collapse -
Thanks for the Tips, Colin! I Have Already Done All You...

In reply to: Could Try This

suggested except the "Restore September Update". I don't understand the reference. MS Update?
More & more the Safe & Sound seems to be major part of problem. While manually searching thru S&S's back up, I found references to PC Health with connections to Help Center & System Restore & strangely a folder simply labeled "TEMP" ( U.C.). Empty, of course, after CrapCleaner. Would seem at least part of this back-up system utilizes /resides in temp. No wonder parts vanished!!Haven't been able to find a way to un-install or make CC miss this on clean-up while still getting the rest. XP is looking better all the time.Thanks again for the suggestions!! Grin

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!