PC Applications forum

General discussion

system restore

by blondie69699 / March 28, 2004 6:11 AM PST

help! i cannot seem figure out why my computer will not set up system restore. i am running windows me. i have checked:enough space alloted, program is not disabled. when i asked it to create a restore point i get the msg "not able to create a restore point, restart computer and try again" which of course i have done, 3 times!!
thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: system restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: system restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:system restore
by glb613 / March 28, 2004 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: system restore
Collapse -
Re:Re:system restore
by blondie69699 / March 29, 2004 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: Re:system restore

thank you, thank you, thank you 1000 thank you's

Collapse -
FYI: About Windows ME System Restore.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2004 8:24 AM PST

FYI: About Windows ME System Restore.

From my archives:

System Restore Not Working?

I know the frustration about System Restore. You'll read thread after thread about this FRAGILE feature of Windows ME. The following is a collection of notes about fixing System Restore and what might interfere with System Restore (SR.)

To people trying to surf safely, firewall software such as Zone Alarm has stopped restore points from being created. If you've added such recently, disable such and see if the restore points are working again. Report this to the vendors/makers/authors so they will fix it.

Let's cover a few items?

1. The September 8, 2001 patch.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q290700">
MS KB Q 290700 - "Checkpoints That You Create After September 8,2001 Do Not Restore Your Computer"

2. A rather LENGTHY article with many links and more articles on fixing System Restore.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q306768"> Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows Millennium Edition

The information in this article applies to: Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
This article was previously published under Q306768

3. How to use the SCANREG /RESTORE in Windows ME

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/trouble/INDEX.HTM"> Look down the page here

4. PARASITES. These can no longer be tolerated. Let me state that your antivirus does not detect/remove all PARASITES! I consider SPYWARE, ADWARE, VIRUS and TROJANS to be lumped into a category I call parasites. Symantec has yet to WAKE UP! to the spyware/adware parasite issue.

Parasite removal programs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0 notes the five scanning tools and removal tools that are fairly safe. If one does encounter an issue, its always been damage done by the MALWARE. The most common issue being Layered Service Provider replacement which you can use LSPFIX (Hint: use http://www.google.com to find).

The thread has follow on discussions about new links if you don't want to use Google to find an item.

5. The new menace. KAZAA borne virus. A big uptick over the last month of machines showed up with KAZAA and some trojan/virus that I think was brought in with KAZAA. The upshot of all this work was to remove the PARASITES, along with KAZAA and hope the machine would stabilize (most did.) A few were quite damaged so the OS was reinstalled.

Bob

PS. All the tools are free.

Posted by: R. Proffitt Posted on: 03/13/2004 8:49 AM

Collapse -
Re:FYI: About Windows ME System Restore.
by blondie69699 / March 29, 2004 5:10 AM PST

thank you!!! i cant tell you how much i appreciate your time and trouble.
michelle

Collapse -
Re: system restore
by doreenmtl / June 12, 2004 1:29 PM PDT

i have the exact problem as"blondie 69699"
please help.

Collapse -
Exactly?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2004 8:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: system restore

Then read my reply.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.