HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

system restore

by Dan Sprague / March 19, 2004 3:03 PM PST

I tried to restore my system to a previuos date and restore would not complete. Said system could not be restored no changes made. Tried several resotre points with no luck. Ran SFC to see if that would help by still will not restore. I am runing XP home edition with SP1. Any ideas on how to get resotre working again?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: system restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: system restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:system restore
by glb613 / March 19, 2004 7:59 PM PST
In reply to: system restore

I have found that system restore doesn't always create a restore point for each day. Have you checked your settings? Right click on my computer then properties. Go to the system restore tab and see what is listed.

Collapse -
Re:Re:system restore
by Dan Sprague / March 20, 2004 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: Re:system restore

Thanks for your prompt response.I understand that a restore point is not created everyday. I went to a restore point that was created before a program install and that is when the system could not restore. I went to my computer and system restore is set to use the maximum space. Any other ideas on how to get restore to work.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:system restore
by glb613 / March 20, 2004 7:05 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:system restore
Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:system restore
by glb613 / March 20, 2004 7:08 PM PST
Collapse -
by Bill Fox / March 21, 2004 9:29 PM PST

I have two Dell computers running XP Home Edition. I have never had to format or replace the hard drives which was quite a regular thing with Windows 3.1, Win95, Win98, and Windows ME.

Like the "escape" key, we hold out hope for such things as systems back-ups. System Restore will work very well if you have a good restore point. I regularly (once every three months) go through the computer, dump temp memories, remove programs that aren't working, repair programs that need repair, then I "scan disc" and "defrag". I will run the system and programs I use the most, and if they are working properly, I make a restore point. Last time was Valentines day. To work, you have to have a really good restore point.

I have also found it helpful to not download programs of dubious value. Often they cause problems and require the hard drive to be formatted to get rid of them.

good luck

Collapse -
by Dan Sprague / March 23, 2004 11:56 AM PST

The program was Mozilla. i did not care for it and wanted to restore back to before I installed it. Just for a test i created a resotre point about 30 minutes ago, then did a system restore to that point and it worked, but will not work for the one before mozilla.

Collapse -
by MikeKlaiber / March 20, 2004 11:51 PM PST

I am running Win XP Pro. This has happened to me too. I don't pretend to be an expert, but I tried shutting down and re-booting, and it has sometimes worked.

Mike

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / March 21, 2004 9:43 PM PST

Have you tried it in Safe Mode ?
People use System Restore to get rid of a problem which cannot be solved. What is your problem ? There may be other solutions beside System Restore.

Collapse -
by thezman / March 21, 2004 10:21 PM PST

there are countless problems with system restore. Too many too list. I don't have a fix for your present problem but if you get up and running, get norton systemworks installed on your computer.Alot of computer techs run it. I ran a windows check on a newly installed computer(millenium) and norton repaired 120 problems. It also has a great backup utility w/compression.

Collapse -
by rogleale / March 22, 2004 10:28 PM PST

Unfortunately system restore cannot be run in safe mode. It has consistently refused to restore for me when I needed it badly. If it runs once and reports that your system could not be restored and no changes have been made, I have found that nothing will make it work, no matter how many other restore points you try. It's too late now to solve your problem, but GoBack is excellent.

Collapse -
by Dan Sprague / March 23, 2004 11:53 AM PST

I have tried in safe mode and still will not work.

Collapse -
by nassok / March 22, 2004 7:57 PM PST

My experiences with System Restore have not gone well. SR will only work if the computer can boot into the OS. If your current problem is file corrpution, or virual infection or any one of a countless number of other problems, SR may also be non functioning. I installed Roxio, (now Norton or Symantec) GoBack. GoBack takes a "snapshot" of your system before you install any applications, make any major changes to your system, and everytime your system is idle. It starts right after the boot, and before the OS loads, so it is independent of the OS. It has pulled my fat out of the fryin pan too many time to remember. Although GB is a lifesaver, it does have some drawbacks. The greatest one of which is it requires at least 10% of your hard drive space. Hard drives are relatively inexpensive these days, so that shouldn't be too much of a concern, considering what GB is able to do for you.

Collapse -
by rayulla / March 30, 2004 3:39 AM PST

On a recent post I lost my Outlook 2002 complete file, tried Sys-Restore and although I had a restore point, and at least 5 bold dates on the calendar, none would work. I've gotten back my outlook files using MSOutlook KB, and trial&error.
A while back I had CompUSA install a new HD. My system had GoBack 3 installed and they complained about it being a bad program that causes more problems than it fixes? Is GB good or bad??

Collapse -
by electric / March 29, 2004 6:52 AM PST

I had same problem using McAfee anti-virus.
Disconnect from the web, then disable your anti-virus.
manualy set your restore point, use a description such as A-OK. After restore point is set, ENABLE your anti-virus. System should restore to the manualy set points.
Do this BEFORE making any HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE additions.

Collapse -
by kiffoo / March 29, 2004 1:03 PM PST

well, I am experiencing exactly the same problem. Cannot restore no matter how many system checkpoints there are (not many restore points because mine's a new PC and I've only got it for three weeks and already encounter this problem!!!) so up till now, i've still can't remedy it. and my problem was that I can't play sound in certain programmes... beginning to wonder whether this is a "bug" in Win XP with regards to System Restore... sigh... if anyone can solve this, please let me know as well. thank you.

Collapse -
by glb613 / March 29, 2004 7:15 PM PST

If this was a bug in XP, everyone with XP would have the same problem. I have three computers with XP installed and I can use system restore on all three.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.