deleted.i am trying to help my sister
in law out.i am going to install 512mb
ram.before i do want to try to fix
slow bootup.computer has spy subtractmd,
mcafee virus protection.i ran both.
edward

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: system restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: system restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please explain

In reply to: system restore

1/You said "i contacted HP about a problem
with programs loading when using
ctrl+alt+delete" - what programs and what problems and what has ctrl+alt+del to do with the problem other than viewing the task manager??
2/ you also said "the systray is not there" is this the problem - can you see the clock
You have not told us anything about your system as requested or really defined what the problem is so please elaborate.??

Peter

Collapse -
re:system restore

In reply to: Please explain

sorry about my post not being more defined.
it is a hp 511n computer.it has a intel 1.3 ghz.processor,40 gig hard drive,128mb.ram,
IE 6.0.the computer has spyware subtractmd,mcafee
virus scanner.ran both found spyware and removed it.
the problem is it takes 5-6 minutes,for desktop to load.i always delet temp.files,and defrag regularly.
it also is slow shutting down.i just purchased 2
256mb ram cards.i have not installed them yet.could
this speedup bootup and shutdown.this computer can take 512mb.max.
edward

Collapse -
We are getting closer, I think?

In reply to: re:system restore

You haven't addressed my first post fully RE:-
1/what has ctl+alt+del to do with the problem and why are you doing this - I ask was it because you wanted to view the task manager?
2/ you say things are not in the systray - I asked is the clock showing (and you do mean systray and not the taskbar as well??)?
3/ You said you "had problems with programs NOT loading" - I asked what programs?

In your second post you say:-

4/you have problems with a slow boot/shutdown times (no mention of program not loading but just slow!)?
5/You found spyware and deleted it, but dont say what spyware it was?.
6/You haven't said if these problems have occurred as a result of the spyware removal.
7/ You haven't said if you tried to do a restore point as HP recommended, if not why not?.

I want you to do the following:-

8/ goto "admin. tools" then "event viewer" look in the "systems" and "programs" sub-folders - look for any error or warning messages - double click on them and write down what they so (also follow the link to "help and support" and copy the URL for me so I can read what it says as well.
9/ Goto start/run and type msconfig - a window called "sys config utility" will appear - check the box that says "diagnostics mode" then reboot (a window will appear just check the box "dont show me this again). Tell me if this solves the problem?
10/ Tell me about any error messages you have been receiving (exact error message)?
11/ If these problems have occurred sines running your spyware program then try the "undo or undelete" function if the program has one, most do.
12/If the above solves the problem then download "Ad-Aware SE Personnel" from http://www.lavasoft.com Run the program and let it find the spyware and remove it -

Please reply to these question mirroring the item numbers.

Regards,
Peter

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.