Computer Help forum

General discussion

System restarting

I have a Dell computer with Windows XP Home Edition. I recently developed spyware and malware. I tried to install nortons 360 virus
protector, but unable to do so because i had not updated to Windows SP2. I can not download SP2 due to spyware. So my coworker told me to reinstall windows. So I tried doing this, it would not reinstall, but keeps restarting over and over. Then the blue screen comes up with the error "Bad Pool Caller. Is there anything you can tell me to do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System restarting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System restarting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Again...

In reply to: System restarting

You haven't told us how you attempted to reinstall XP but at this point, I would use Dell's Recovery discs or their Recovery Partition to completely reformat and reinstall everything back to it's factory condition..

Because a reformat will wipe your drive completely, make sure to make copies of your important files, documents, etc. to a DVD/CD or flash drive.. Once that's done, start the recovery process by placing the Recovery disc in the DVD/CD drive, then restart the computer. Follow the prompts to reinstall Windows and all programs.. BE SURE to use the Dell driver CD after installing Windows.. It may be named "Drivers" or "Resource CD" or something similar but those drivers are critical to ensure that all hardware functions correctly.

Once that's done and the machine is running correctly, then immediately download the full SP2 installer from the Microsoft link below. It's a large file so you'll need a broadband connection.. If you don't have one, use a friend or family member's computer to download the file, then burn it to a CD and transfer it to your computer desktop.. When you're ready to install SP2, temporarily disable any antivirus on the computer, then run the file to install SP2..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Once that's done, if you haven't already, you might want to burn a copy of the large SP2 file to a CD so you can use it later, if need be..

Next, visit the Windows Update site using Internet Explorer and download/install all critical updates there.. If will offer an option to install the new Service Pack 3 or install the updates only.. It's up to you as to whether you want to install it..You might want to wait a little while and confirm that your machine is function correctly but eventually you'll need to install that as well.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
System Restarting

In reply to: Try Again...

I tried again to reinstall Windows XP by using the reinstallation CD.
After about 5 minutes it stops and states windows is restarting, over and over. Thanks

Collapse -
Please Describe EXACTLY How You're Using...

In reply to: System Restarting

...those Recovery Discs.. If you're wanting to do full "destructive" system recovery which wipes the drive, then reinstalls the operating system and all programs back to the factory state, you should be placing the first XP disc in the DVD/CD drive, then restart the computer.. If a note comes up which says: "To boot from the CD, Press any key", then quickly press the "Enter" key to start the full format and reinstall process.

Sometimes, no such "press any key" request is listed and the recovery disc simply opens and offers the instructions for reformatting and reinstalling..

Are you following either of the steps above? If not, you should be.. If you already are following the steps above and the computer is still restarting without warning in the middle of the XP installation, then are a couple of possibilities that I can think of..

1. The computer is having a heat issue and you need to take the case cover off and using compressed air, blow out all the dust and junk from around the processor, the heatsink, the power supply and all the associate fans inside.. Once that's done, try again.

2. The hard drive is dying and it may not be accepting the Windows install files.. Make sure you see the format process occurring and let us know of any EXACT errors you are seeing.

3. The Dell Recovery disc is bad and you may need to ask them to send you a new one.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
System Restarting

In reply to: Please Describe EXACTLY How You're Using...

I tried all the above steps. No luck with anything. The only message I get is windows is restarting.Then it goes back to the black windows xp screen and tries to reboot again. Thanks

Collapse -
'it goes back to the black windows xp screen'

In reply to: System Restarting

First things first.. Does the computer boot correctly from the XP CD? What happens when you place the disc in the drive, then restart the computer?

Primarily, we need to know if the boot order in the CMOS settings is set for the DVD/CD drive to boot before the hard drive.. If it isn't, then you need to change it in the BIOS/CMOS settings.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
Restarting

In reply to: 'it goes back to the black windows xp screen'

When I put the disc in and then restart the computer, it goes to the windows screen that says windows is restarting. It is not booting corectly.

Collapse -
Mine did that too.

In reply to: Restarting

Yeah, when i tried reformatting using the disk, it said it would restart, and finish reinstalling windows, but when it restarted, it didnt do anything..over and over i kept trying, so what i did was i installed it as a slave drive in another computer and reformatted it like that. Worked then.

Collapse -
So..Have You Checked In The BIOS?

...to confirm that the CD/DVD drive is set to boot FIRST in the boot order? If not, please do.

If you are sure that the CD/DVD drive is set to boot first, then you may have a faulty CD/DVD drive. It's not correctly ready the disc...or the disc is bad in the first place..

One solution to that problem has already been given above.. or, you could try replacing the CD/DVD drive or get a replacement disc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
All, the odds try this it might work

I used to have a problem with my computer too, apparently windows was corrupt on it. Basicly I put the windows CD restart the computer and on startup I boot the cd / or /cd/dvd or dvd rom and repair windows. It will find any problem and try to reapir,

...when nuthin else is working its worth a try huh?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.