Question

System Registry question

I was browsing through my system registry looking phantom fragments of uninstalled software when I notice a few strings titled NOS usage statistics.
Anyone know exactly what that is?
Tried to find it online - is there a place you can recommend that identifies system registry files?

As always thanks for your help and support!!

Pollkat

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: System Registry question
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: System Registry question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
NOS

Likely is this: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/N/network_operating_system_NOS.html

If so, not something one would want to mess around with.

Even IT experts fear to run around in the registry without taking precautions against disaster.

Suggest using Revo Uninstaller, Free or Pro if you want to uninstall all programs except antivirus security programs. Does not work well on a/v's. http://www.revouninstaller.com/

It is normal to have phantom fragments left over, and system will run just fine. Why fix if not broken?

- Collapse -
Never had Regedit issues.....

I've only gone in to remove stuff from Symantec, Checkpoint and other software that would sometimes continue to give me pop ups even though I'd Uninstalled the software. Generally I don't mess around in the registry unless I have a specific issue to address directly - I know the registry is not a playground for the mortal man.

I do remember resolving issues by deleting a piece of a string as recommended by an IT Pro.

Locating stuff is simple with the find feature - eg, just type in symantec and then delete with all the subfolders.

I was merely concerned about the NOS as it looked like it was something like a cookie that gathers and sends info out about my usage. I definitely have privacy concerns.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: statistics

Can you provide the full key? That might tell something. Anyway, I checked and I don't have it in my registry. That probably means that I don't have software that uses NOS (whatever that is).

But why care?

Kees

- Collapse -
NOS Usage Data

A click on the NOS usage statistics listed in the Root opens a CLSID sub folder and to the right there is what appears to be a string of Hexidecimal letters and numbers. so there really isn't much too it.

I'm not considering messing with it unless I know for sure what it was and the safety of its deletion.

Thanks

- Collapse -
Answer
Registry

First suggestion...DO NOT MESS WITH THE REGISTRY...suggestion # 2 DO NOT MESS WITH THE REGISTRY. So many times have I seen big time issues when someone has gotten into the registry and started dumping things out. As I recall NOS could be germane to certain OS'S, not all and could possibly create instability by removal. I would have to do some research but it does sound vaguely familiar.

- Collapse -
Answer
Link, comment.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=windows+registry+NOS+usage+statistics&as_epq=NOS+&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=off&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=#hl=en&lr=&safe=off&as_qdr=all&q=windows+registry+usage+statistics+%2BNOS&oq=windows+registry+usage+statistics+%2BNOS

My thought on this is some application made these "NOS" entries. As there are millions of apps out there, I can't guess which one did this.

I think you should stay out of the registry.
Bob
- Collapse -
Registry

I am glad to see that you posted on this one. The other thing, and I KNOW that you concur, is to stay as far away as possible from these so called "free" registry cleaner or any registry cleaner for that matter.

- Collapse -
Never had any issues after registry tamering

I've only gone in to remove stuff from Symantec, Checkpoint and other software that would sometimes continue to give me pop ups even though I'd Uninstalled the software. Generally I don't mess around in the registry unless I have a specific issue to address directly - I know the registry is not a playground.

I do remember resolving issues by deleting a piece of a string as recommended by an IT Pro.

I was merely concerned about the NOS as it looked like it was something like a cookie that gathers and sends info out about my usage. I definitely have privacy concerns.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

CNET Forums