Desktops forum

General discussion

System Recovery Question

by grj712 / April 20, 2006 9:50 PM PDT

I have an hp Pavillion 754n that came with 80 Gig HD, 512 MG Ram, XP Home W/SP2. Over the past few years I've upgraded/added to it... 250 Gig internal HD, another 512 MG Ram, G-Force 5500 Graphics card. I changed out the CD-Rom drive for a DVD-DL RW Drive. I also changed the power supply from 200w to 400w.
I would like to pass this computer on to my daughter. But before I do, I would like to clean/wipe all my stuff completely off the hard drives. There's a lot of programs she'll never use and all my work data and personal data and music..........
My Question is this; Will a System Recovery function properly after the internal changes I've made? Should I even do a system recovery or is there other options?
Any advice is appreciated.
Gary,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Recovery Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Recovery Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The new HD would be the problem. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 20, 2006 10:18 PM PDT

The restoral CD will be looking for the specific HD that came with the machine. Don't ask me how I know. Same same on the graphics card.

Just uninstall everything she won't need and delete the other data/files/folders. Then do a defrag as this will move used space into the cleaned out space on the drive.

Wayne

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
Thanks for responding...
by grj712 / April 21, 2006 5:54 PM PDT

The original HD is still there, and operational, but not used very much. When I installed the 250Gb HD I believe I just copied the "C" drive to the new HD and made that the Primary and the original (80GB) the Slave.
The original Graphics Card is still there as well, but I have it disabled so it doesn't conflict with the new one.
I also uninstalled/disabled the original Sound Card and installed a new one in a vacant PC slot.
Wow, just thinking about that and of some of the other changes I've done I can see where the System Recovery could get a little confused in trying to put it all back together.
It might be best that I manualy uninstall and/or delete the stuff.

I just got my new computer this evening (HP Pavillion
Media Center TV PC m7480n) I'm gonna transfer my files from the old one to this. Then clean it up.
Any advice on moving files from computer to computer?

Thank you again for your input.

Gary,

Collapse -
Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 21, 2006 9:08 PM PDT

is available in XP. I've never used it but it's supposed to work. But it won't move installed programs. I've found it easier to just connect the PCs via my home network and just move "the stuff" I want to move. Pictures, documents, etc. If you don't have a network, the CD burner works.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Copying files (Migrating files) from old to new computer
by RickH / April 27, 2006 10:28 PM PDT

Applications such as "Foldermatch" can do this. "Comparator" also has this capability. The best bet would probably be to follow the instructions that should be included with your new HP.

Collapse -
just upgrade after wiping.
by fgiron / April 28, 2006 5:10 AM PDT

If you have the original parts still, put them in and use the restore cd. Then add the other hdd, and swap out the gpu. That way you'll have the same comp (with the 80 hdd though) and it'd tell you if it wouldn't work most likely, so trying with the upgraded components probably woudln't hurt.

Collapse -
System backup
by Noizxland / April 20, 2006 11:43 PM PDT

As for me, to have great confidence, I create a full system backup. I don't trust to Windows System Recovery, and it's rather inconvenient to use. I can restore it at any time, and every thing will be excellent.
So I'd recommend you to delete useless data and progs. Then create an exact image of the drive. It'll make your daugter's life easier. She'll give up worry about PC, as you can restore it to the previous state with the needed data and apps.

Collapse -
Don't risk turning it into junk
by Razzl / April 28, 2006 12:08 AM PDT

Your os software and it's related stuff, like the MS Office suite, plus all of the updated drivers that go with your hardware configuration, are an expensive and complicated package that might never work properly again if you totally remove everything from the drive and try to start over. Why not use a program like Cyberscrub that can erase slack space without disturbing the remaining os and software? Also, loading Vista as the os later may clean up a lot of loose ends (on older machines Vista will probably work without all of the fancy graphics capabilities).

Collapse -
re: system recovery question
by canjecricketer / April 28, 2006 5:55 AM PDT

Instead of using the recovery cd and only getting an image of the OS. Ask a friend to borrow a vopy of the same os. When installing the new OS, use the key code that should either be on the side of the machine or on the handbook you recieved when you first bought the machine. If this does not work, contact the maker of the pc. They will be able to give you a modified startup/recovery disk. If this is also not possible. Remove the HD, recover the original disk and then add the other disk for storage only.

Although, seeing as this is for your daughter, maybe a 20G HD will prob be fine.

Collapse -
PC Clean Up and Restore
by Zouch / April 28, 2006 10:10 AM PDT

I like your plan to wipe the machine and restore to the as new state.

What I'd try is take out the new Graphics and Sound cards and re-enable the originals. Make the original 80 GB HD the master and the 250 GB drive the slave. Pull out the signal cable from the 250 GB Drive. Restore the original system from the recovery CD. The DVD drive should work but if it doesn't, you might have to put the original CD-ROM drive back.

When reloaded, plug the signal cable back into the 250 GB drive and let the system find it. Use the 80 GB drive as master for software only, use the 250 GB drive for data only.

Install the new sound card and graphics card and you should be done. Backup the C: drive so you can get back to this state again if necessary.

Relaod the application software you are passing on with the machine.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Sounds good to me....
by grj712 / April 28, 2006 4:03 PM PDT

I went ahead and transfered my files and this weekend I'm planning on cleaning up the old computer. Of the many different ways of going about it this advice from you is on the same lines of thinking as my own. It's cool to hear it from somebody else, lil' confidence boost.
I appreciate all the input/advice/ideas from everyone. Thank you. I'll post with the results when I'm done.

Gary,

Collapse -
Ok, it took a little longer...
by grj712 / May 14, 2006 6:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Sounds good to me....

I went ahead and ran the System Recovery after diconecting the larger/newer HD. It went just fine, no glitches. It was like it was when I first bought it. I did leave the new CD/DVD Drive in and it works fine.
I then hooked the other HD back up and simply wiped the disk clean and reformatted. (I used a program called WinClean to erase the disk) That all seemed to go fine as well.
But after that was done, the computer wouldn't boot. I had to give it some thought but then I remembered I needed to change the jumpers so the Original HD would be the Master and the other the slave.
So now with the connections, jumpers, and bios all set, it's working great.
I'm jazzed with the way it turned out. I know I've been frustrated with other projects when following instructions step by step and it not working or half working or whatever, it's just cool when it goes right.
Thanks again
Gary

Collapse -
Dont do it
by albecba / April 28, 2006 4:18 PM PDT

I like what the others have written, but i thought i'ld add my two cents just because i also have a hp.
Mines a hp pavilion t360. Two years old and with some upgrades. On thursday i decided to use the system recovery and reset the factories settings by using the partition that came with the computer (i had some spyware i couldn't get rid of).
It didn't go to plan. While it was trying to re-install the software from the partition i got a fatal error and was told to ring the manufacturer. So as this is a long weekend in Australia, i dont have a computer till tuesday (i'm at uni trying to study in a busy computer lab).
So if you want my suggestion, grab some windows cd's, formate the computer and install windows and then any other software you want. I know that hp doesn't give you the cd's with pre-packaged computers (which is not very nice), but this is my suggestion (and what i'll be doing)

I know this is a near pointless post, but from someone who is in a pickle because of partitions, i wouldn't trust them as far as i could throw them.

best of luck
Joel

Collapse -
Didn't go as planned
by phrubin / April 29, 2006 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Dont do it

Have you considerd reformatting (full) the regular partition, then recovering from the Recover Partition? Save any data you may need first.

If you can recreate the original config, that should help. If not, considering the state you are in, I would reformat the ''regular'' partition, then use the recover partition, use the device manager to disable all devices such as video cards, that have been upgraded, and reinstall all the upgrades. Many BIOSes reconfigure themselves as far as hard drives go.

Of course, you didn't mention which OS came with the PC, but you'll have to do a Windows update once or twice.

Good Luck,
Paul

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.