Computer Help forum

General discussion

System reboots during Game Play

by mikyrdan1 / March 11, 2007 1:04 AM PST

Running Win XP Home with SP-2, 736 Mb Ram/ 1.82 ghz Pent 4, I will be running a game and the computer reboots. ARGGH. Game requires 512 mb ram 1.4 ghz Pent 4 with 128 mb video card. Which mine has.

I have turned off automatic restart so i can see the blue screen. I do have the notify Microsoft on. Of course I my device manager shows no problems. Any Idears?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System reboots during Game Play
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System reboots during Game Play
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Power supply
by jackson dougless / March 11, 2007 1:33 AM PST

Most common cause for spontaneous reboots, especially when the computer is doing some sort of strenuous task like playing a high end game, is the power supply being inadequate.

You'll probably want to get a power supply with an extra 50-100W capacity over what you've got now if you go with a good brand product like Antec. If you go with some no-name cheap unit, I'd go with a 500W unit to be sure you've got plenty left over since it's pretty much a given you'll never get anything close to the full 500W out of it.

Collapse -
Another common cause is...
by Edward ODaniel / March 11, 2007 1:48 AM PST

an overheating video card. Does yours have only a heatsink or does it also have a fan? If it has a fan is the fan functioning? Is the air flow blocked? Are the fan and heatsink clean or full of dust?

Collapse -
Thank you for the responses
by mikyrdan1 / March 11, 2007 6:40 AM PDT

Well, the power supply is the one that came with my HP Pavilion Desktop.
The video card is as ATI Radeon 9200 PCI series. All it has is a heat sink. Didn't come with a fan.

Collapse -
ps
by mikyrdan1 / March 11, 2007 6:42 AM PDT

The vid card is practically new. And as I inserted it, I cleaned, blew dust out of the pc fan and power supply fan.

Collapse -
Download and install 'Sensorsview' and see what the system
by VAPCMD / March 11, 2007 7:07 AM PDT

and CPU temps show.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thank you
by mikyrdan1 / March 11, 2007 11:47 AM PDT

Will it keep a log, time. I can start my game and the eventvwr will give me a time for error. But will sensor view log the temps / times?

Thanx again,
Mike

Collapse -
What if it says no sensors
by mikyrdan1 / April 28, 2007 11:24 PM PDT

I didnt understand this part. I assume the cpu has to have a sensor to tell the fan when to come on. Is there a way to isolate whether it's a heating/cooling problem and not a power problem?

Thanx

Collapse -
It has been a while since you last were here but...
by Edward ODaniel / April 29, 2007 12:03 AM PDT

although you have said:
" have turned off automatic restart so i can see the blue screen."
and
"and the eventvwr will give me a time for error"
you never did get around to mentioning EXACTLY what the specific errors shown are. Those error messages are IMPORTANT as they generally narrow down the possible cause dramatically (often to a very specific file even).

As far as your current post, didn't you read this at the publisher's site:
If the program does not finds monitoring chips on your computer, send us information about your system (motherboard model, CPU, chipset, etc.) and we will try to add support for your mobo. Also if possible please send us file 'debug.txt' from installation folder of SensorsView.
http://www.stvsoft.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=14&Itemid=31

To potentially rule out heat itself as a cause you can take the side of the case off and direct a floor fan onto the motherboard and paddle cards - that will generally work well to dissipate any heat buildup. (You also haven't got around to telling us whether or not the CPU fan is actually even still working so we are left with a lot of 'assuming' to do.)

You did mention that the power supply is the original but you haven't bothered telling us what all you have added to the system since purchase nor the wattage of the power supply - they do age and if your actual power is very "dirty" they can age fast.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.