Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

System Process Hoging my Memory?

by YarTeh1337 / November 9, 2009 1:05 AM PST

Lately I noticed that the "System" process started using HUGE amounts of my RAM memory for some reason(It starts at 80mb,and drops down).The System process,for some reason keeps changing its memory use:If my computer starts using lots of memory for "Heavy" applications(Games,IE8 and etc.)The memory hog of System reduces.The more memory my computer requires,The more memory the System Process backs up.And for some reason also,The memory the System backed up, doesn't return back to its use.

I completely scanned my computer and found no Viruses,Trojans and all of that ********,So there is no chance its one of those.I also noticed that IE8 and WMP 11 started working slower for some reason,and freeze for like 7-9 seconds every time I open them.I also noticed I keep getting more "Lag" when playing games.

Any Idea why I have this problem?I will be happy if you give me some solutions too.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Process Hoging my Memory?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Process Hoging my Memory?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Usually the antivirus.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2009 2:24 AM PST
Collapse -
The Antivirus?
by YarTeh1337 / November 9, 2009 7:46 PM PST
In reply to: Usually the antivirus.

Well I did read on some sites that AVG caused this.And yes I am using AVG Free edition...
I will try to remove it and see what happens..

Collapse -
Well,What do you know?
by YarTeh1337 / November 10, 2009 12:44 AM PST
In reply to: Usually the antivirus.

Yes it was the Anti-Virus!
Damn AVG!
I uninstaled AVG and I rebooted my computer.The first thing I noticed is that the shut down and start up were MUCH faster then before.The memory problem was solved.I then reinstalled AVG only Internet Security edition.The problem came back...

So the moral is:AVG sux.Use an other Anti Virus if you don't want your system hogging memory from you,Slowing down your computer,and doing what it shouldn't do.

Cheers for NOD32!

Collapse -
About NOD
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2009 12:52 AM PST
In reply to: Well,What do you know?

It's lighter in weight but only a TRIAL.
http://download.cnet.com/ESET-NOD32-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10185608.html

It's not the memory footprint (I'm a grizzly programmer from embedded assembler works to C# .NET and more) but there can be tweaks to many antivirus to speed up shutdowns at a price. For example some do a check for all bootable media even on network drives so safety comes for a price.

But it's not the memory use.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!