Auto Repair - Roadshow forum

General discussion

System problems after battery replacement

by MazdaOwner / October 13, 2010 9:24 AM PDT

Had my battery replaced yesterday in a 2000 Mazda Protege, at a car parts store. Initially, they put the battery in backward, and it sparked when they tried to connect the terminals. Afterward, the following don't work in my car: radio/clock, key/light alarms, dome light. ALL were working fine before. Also, the check engine light came on, but NOTHING shows when you try to check the code. There may be more problems I haven't discovered yet. The store manager checked the battery and fuses, says all are fine, and he has no idea what may have caused those malfunctions or why he also was unable to read any check engine codes. Any idea what might be wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System problems after battery replacement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System problems after battery replacement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it weren't for knuckleheads like that,the good techs.....
by Tony Holmes / October 14, 2010 8:02 AM PDT

wouldn't have as much work.

Hello MO,

I've seen the exact same problem many times over on Toyota,caused by jump starting incorrectly or hooking batteries backwards.

I don't know much about Mazda fuse locations but I am a Toyota master tech and can give you a general idea where to look.From what you describe,I wouldn't trust them to screw in a light bulb,much less trouble shoot the problem they caused.

Yes,putting the battery in backwards WILL(not maybe)cause damage.If you're lucky,it's just a few blown fuses and not damage to one of the car's computers.

Computer codes can't be read because the fuse controlling the diagnostic circuit blew when the battery was installed.Just hope the spike of reverse polarity didn't reach the computer itself.

There is more than one fuse block location,there should be one next to the battery with a bunch of fuses and high amp fusible links in it.There should be another either in the left side kick panel or next to the steering column behind the panel.

There are no short cuts to this,someone who knows what they're doing has to get in there and check every fuse in the car with a test light or voltmeter,at the most it should take about an hour to diagnose correctly.

Collapse -
Electrical problems after battery re-installation
by Allex05 / June 27, 2011 6:39 AM PDT

Your response to MazdaOwner was quite insightful. I'd like your help with a similar problem I'm having with my Toyota Allex '05.

I had an HID bulb replaced for the left headlamp which required removal of the battery to gain access. Since the battery's been re-installed I can't control the windows on the left passenger side (front and back) from the driver's control panel (it's a RHD). I don't think it's a fuse problem since the windows work fine using the passenger control buttons (except for the auto function). Also, I've noticed the tiny light in the control buttons for the affected windows have been flashing since. The right passenger window had the same issue but came back to normal about 30-45 minutes later. Any clues on this one?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?