PC Hardware forum

General discussion

System Panel Help!!!

I am building a system using an ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard and an ancient Dell Dimension .... Case. There is a 20 pin System Control Panel Connector on the MB, but my case only has 15. I have been looking all over the internet trying to find a replacement system panel, but I can't find anything. I don't even know if I am calling it the correct thing. Just to clarify, this is the panel with the power and reset buttons, LED's, etc. I really don't want to spend the cash on a new case for something so minor, but...

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System Panel Help!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System Panel Help!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: System Panel Help!!!

In reply to: System Panel Help!!!

My PC has a F_PANEL (2 x 10 pin Connector) on mobo of which 10,11,12,13,15,17,19 are pinless.

You don't have to use all of these pins if your case doesn't have the feature that the pin represents. Example your case may not have a reset switch therefore you don't need to use the RES- or RES+ pins. If you don't have fron speakers then you don't need to use the 4 Speaker pins and so on.

Have a look at your user manual to find out which pins are which and then cross reference against the names on your case wiring.

If your case wiring is a fixed plug then you may need to have the plug removed and the individual wires capped and tagged. It would be easier to buy a new case which would probably include a larger PSU then your DELL case anyway.

Good luck

Cheers
Angela

Collapse -

Dell uses proprietary cases with custom connectors. You can't expect to use a Dell case with any motherboard you just buy, it won't have the correct connector for all the lights/switches.

You need to purchase a case if you really want to do this, or you need to buy a motherboard from Dell and will be very limited in what you can use.

Collapse -

Thanks for the help, I was trying to get around buying a new case, but it doesn't look like I have much of a choice.

Collapse -
proprietary (nonstandard) Dell

if your ancient case has a ribbon ending in a 2 row connector, you're half derbed. One can cut the ribbon, split it up, determine what twin wires go to what, find a junk PC with regular wires and little plugs, scab those wires onto the ribbon, get the layout on your new mobo, and plug things in properly. OR get an estimate from a PC shop to do it for you. I've done it and it's a pain.
Worse is putting a Dell mobo into a standard case.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.