TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

System now complete--Setup for the AVR 3806??

I did it all bassackwards, but now it's done. All but the setup.

First I got a whole suite of Paradigms--the Mini Monitors up front, CC370 in the center, and Titans in the rear. Also got a very nice Velo SPL 800 sub. Panny 37" plasam for visuals. That was back in May of this year.

BUT....I left some of the old stuff standing. Like my AVR 1804. After spending all that $$ on the above, I didn't have any left for a new AVR, and actually now I'm glad because I just picked up the new AVR 3806 for under a grand, and upgraded to the Studio 20 v.3s up front for a mere $200 more. This is going to sound pretty impressive once it's all up and running.

Now, I am fairly fluent in AVR setup since I've done it a few times, but just thought I'd ping the board to see if anyone out there has done the setup, what problems you've encountered, and how you dealt with them. Better to know beforehand rather than have to come back 10X and ask when things don't go right.

I plan to run HDMI from the AVR "out" to the TV, then HDMI from my DirectV HD DVR to the AVR "in". Then I run component video from my DVD player (0ld school, I know, but I'm not a movie freak--more into music) to the AVR--(or should they go to the TV?) and use digital optical from the CD and DVD players through my AVR. The only thing left would be plugging in the speakers and the sub.

FYI--I have a Harmony 880 universal remote, so I just need to get the Audyssey set up done and set the settings for each component (DVD--DTS surround or ProLogic II, Music--5/6 channel stereo, etc.), right?

Thanks to all.

Jibba

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: System now complete--Setup for the AVR 3806??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: System now complete--Setup for the AVR 3806??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Congrats from someone with similar tastes

In reply to: System now complete--Setup for the AVR 3806??

My Paradigms - 3 yrs old (5.1), Panny - 4 yrs. I recently consigned my Denon 1804 to a secondary viewing area. I got (as overkill) a 4806 when just superceded - $3500 list to $1999. Even had a Harmony - 3 yrs that, my fault, left exposed to dog not quite out of puppydom mischief - chewed when bored. However, even with 2 callbacks from dealer (& 2 of his techs) never could get nearly all functions integrated into the Harmony. Someday I'll climb back into a good universal remote - probably Harmony.

Anyway, truth is you're probably more tech savvy than I am. Denon manuals aren't as user friendly as they might be, but basically are just dry & boring. But they do lay everything out by slow & careful reading. The Audyssey sort of runs itself, just follow the prompts.

Some folks are very into running connectors as absolutely straight as possible. Seeing the quality of the mid & upper Denons, I went through the receiver,relying on its' circuitry being top notch. Take your pick.

Interesting to me, my great room (25 x 40 x 12), almost totally symetrical, was quite sound adjustment neutral. The Audyssey microphone setup only adjusted the powerful sub to -15 dB, others zero.

My dealer is a retired electircal engineer (GE) & poo-poos exotic cables, etc. He carries Monster Cable only because customers expect to see it. Though I had always before used just 18 gauge zip cord for speakers without special requirements, the dealer brought basic, still 18 gauge, but spiral wound labeled as speaker cable. If needing HDMI cable, Sam's Club $23 Philips brand functions just fine. Nothing premium needed unless you have a very long run.

Matter of fact, I'm an old music guy myself - glorious 2 channel stereo in my listening room. Some time allowing study of the manual should get you through it just fine. The rear connections of the 4806 seem daunting, but really just allow for nearly any possible combination needed. You'll figure quite well the posts, etc. you will address. Enjoy. It'll be a while before I upgrade the EDTV which seemed so adequate a few years ago. It's the bucks, you know. Anyway, the now big screen is so much nicer than years ago.

Collapse -
HOW I SET UP MY DENON 3805 SAME AS 3806

In reply to: System now complete--Setup for the AVR 3806??

Ha Ha I was very lucky I bought mine from a custom home theater business. And they set it up for me using a special mic set in the sweet spot and the amp does an auto calibration which e.q and balances all the speakers also My Denon does not have h.d.m.i. ports so I ran all my vidio straight to the t.v I prefer doing it this way because I can fine tune all my inputs seperretly I also bought a 5.1. 4200 atlantic Technology speaker system amp and speakers are made in heaven The only problem has been the back lit remote conmtrol batteries have to be replaced ever 2 months good luck steweeeee

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.